New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jul 30, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #1,261 of 5,077
I just got my DFB, mainly for use with my MacBook Pro and SE846's - and the DFB signal is too darn hot for these sensitive IEMs!  When using the Mac's volume control, on some songs the first step of the volume is too loud.  On some other songs, the tolerable range is only three steps - 1) too quite, 2) somewhere in the middle and 3) too loud.

I can go into the "Audio MIDI Setup" control and manually adjust the output one dB at a time, but it's not very convenient.  And I'd prefer not to use the in-app volume controls, since that can deteriorate the sound quality in my experience.

Has anyone found a good solution to this issue, to either scale back the volume on the DFB or more easily adjust it granularly?

Return and get a DAC/amp with gain or volume control. Didn't work well for Noble savant's as well.

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #1,263 of 5,077
That's not my preferred solution. It would be good if AQ offered a software update to scale the volume range for users with sensitive IEMs.

This is why I returned the Black and purchased the Red.

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #1,266 of 5,077
The Red is even hotter. Is the volume adjustment more granular at low levels?

Yes.  The Black has an Analog Volume Control.  The Red is Digital.  I could only use the Black at 6/100 before it was too loud with my Grados.  I can go to 17/100 with the Red.

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #1,267 of 5,077
Jul 30, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #1,268 of 5,077
Apologies. Meant Volume Control. Corrected my reply.

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #1,269 of 5,077
That isn't true.

I think he meant regarding volume:

---
For greater overall performance, the new DragonFly models also incorporate improved 32-bit ESS Sabre DAC chips—the 9010 in Black and the higher-performance 9016 in Red—both of which employ minimum-phase filtering for naturally detailed, more authentic sound. While DragonFly Black uses the same high-quality headphone amp and analog volume control found in DragonFly v1.2, DragonFly Red includes the latest ESS headphone amp and a bit-perfect digital volume control that resides on the 9016 DAC chip itself—a sophisticated implementation that ensures maximum fidelity, dynamic contrast, and signal-to-noise ratio.
---

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #1,271 of 5,077
  I just got my DFB, mainly for use with my MacBook Pro and SE846's - and the DFB signal is too darn hot for these sensitive IEMs!  When using the Mac's volume control, on some songs the first step of the volume is too loud.  On some other songs, the tolerable range is only three steps - 1) too quite, 2) somewhere in the middle and 3) too loud.

I can go into the "Audio MIDI Setup" control and manually adjust the output one dB at a time, but it's not very convenient.  And I'd prefer not to use the in-app volume controls, since that can deteriorate the sound quality in my experience.

Has anyone found a good solution to this issue, to either scale back the volume on the DFB or more easily adjust it granularly?

MarkF786,

When you adjust the volume on your Macbook Pro, are you holding down the "Shift" and the "Option" (alt) keys while adjusting the volume? 
If you are, my apologies, and if you are not, doing so should adjust the volume "granularly!

Cheers!
Mal.

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #1,272 of 5,077
On my Linux system and my Chromebook (essentially Linux) I am finding that I have to use the controls in Alsamixer to get reasonably fine control over the DFB. The hardware volume buttons make jumps that are too large for fine control whereas with Alsamixer I can take it in single point steps. Even then much more than 7/100 or 8/100 is too loud for most of my headphones. WIth my K702 I can push it up to 24/100 which is reported by the software as being a dB gain of -31.00.

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #1,273 of 5,077
I have found a fix that works well on on a Mac: you can adjust the volume in smaller increments using Shift + Option + Volume (+/-).  That'll save me from having to return my DFB.  Whew.

This is such a necessity when using the DFB with a Mac and IEMs that AQ should put it in the manual and FAQ.

Edit: reading above, I see Mal already recommending this.  I had just found this tip during an online searching.  After owning Macs for 10+ years, this is the first time I've needed to use this trick, but it's a good one!

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #1,274 of 5,077
  I have found a fix that works well on on a Mac: you can adjust the volume in smaller increments using Shift + Option + Volume (+/-).  That'll save me from having to return my DFB.  Whew.

This is such a necessity when using the DFB with a Mac and IEMs that AQ should put it in the manual and FAQ.

Edit: reading above, I see Mal already recommending this.  I had just found this tip during an online searching.  After owning Macs for 10+ years, this is the first time I've needed to use this trick, but it's a good one!

There you go MarkF786! I couldn't imagine how many Mac users are not aware of this fine-volume solution! Definitely useful!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back