New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jul 31, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #1,291 of 5,077
  my monks plus will be arriving shortly...if they fit ok i might try the more refined/pricey zen 2.0
...but have heard they require a good amp to really drive them.

any tried the df red with them and care to comment please?

I got the red Monk Plus from Massdrop. Paired with the Dragonfly Red it is both a sonic and aesthetically pleasing combination. The Red gives the Monk Plus' a clear, open sound without any harshness and a strong, extended bass.

Jul 31, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #1,292 of 5,077
  I got the red Monk Plus from Massdrop. Paired with the Dragonfly Red it is both a sonic and aesthetically pleasing combination. The Red gives the Monk Plus' a clear, open sound without any harshness and a strong, extended bass.

I'm using the same combo and I'm also pleasantly surprised! Not really my main driver over the TFZ Series 5 but for $4 these are stunning. 

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #1,294 of 5,077
Not necessarily, different Apps on the same device seem to affect the SQ so it is not inconceivable that different devices will affect SQ differently depending on how they handle USB audio devices.

This is an issue with Android devices in general. The internal hardware volume of the DFB seems to be locked in at 44/64 so a little over 68%, when you use the hardware buttons on the device or in an App Android is adjusting the volume in software rather than hardware the DFB hardware volume doesn't change.

UAPP allows you to adjust the internal hardware volume and then do some software based adjustment as well. Controlling the internal volume of the DFB not only allows you to put out much more power it also seems to improve sound quality. It is possible to change the internal hardware volume to any level you want between 0 & 64 but only on a rooted phone and this then gives you hardware volume control in any app not just UAPP. However it is my understanding that UAPP bypasses the Android Kernel and send the data straight out to the external DAC whereas native Apps will still send the data out to the DAC via the Kernel which may also impact on sound quality.

This may well be contributing to some of the comments around sound quality it also makes the DFB less convenient that it should be when paired with an Android device. I'm using my DFB with a Samsung Galaxy S5 as well as a cheap Windows tablet. The DFB is an improvement over the built in headphone output on both devices.

Digging into this topic is my self-homework for the week. Getting the volume to it's ideal spot makes all the difference in SQ. One of the Audioquest dev's said something like the Dragonfly is designed to run at one volume all the time, and can't be turned up, only attenuated. This is a good product out of the box, but getting to the absolute best SQ possible is a bit of a mystery (which gets compounded even more when using an amp after the Dragonfly), and I think the dev is giving us an important clue here. Plugging headphones directly to the Dragonfly makes things more simple, but if you own good amps, you're still leaving performance on the table.

I'm going to go interrogate Col. Mustard-Black in the insect aviary and get some answers.

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #1,295 of 5,077
Digging into this topic is my self-homework for the week. Getting the volume to it's ideal spot makes all the difference in SQ. One of the Audioquest dev's said something like the Dragonfly is designed to run at one volume all the time, and can't be turned up, only attenuated. This is a good product out of the box, but getting to the absolute best SQ possible is a bit of a mystery, and I think the dev is giving an important clue here. I'm going to go interrogate Col. Mustard-Black in the conservatory and get some answers.

It's made MUCH easier by not having to deal with the near-random vagaries of the Android Audio subsystem.

iPhone/iPad ... completely predictable.

OS X, on any of the machines I have ... completely predictable.

Android, on any of the myriad devices my now-sold dev-studio has on hand ... random at best.

Aug 2, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #1,296 of 5,077
Hi all,

Hope this isn't a silly question.

I own  a Fiio X3 II DAP. Would connecting it to a Dragonfly Red improve the Fiio sound quality at all?  I am trying to justify a Dragonfly Red purchase. Another reason I ask is I just purchased a pair of ZMF Omni headphones, and being Planars and harder to drive, I need my volume on the X3 II set at maximum. 

I suppose if that didn't work I could use the Red from my laptop when playing external hard drive files or Spotify or the likes.

Aug 2, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #1,297 of 5,077
  Hi all,

Hope this isn't a silly question.

I own  a Fiio X3 II DAP. Would connecting it to a Dragonfly Red improve the Fiio sound quality at all?  I am trying to justify a Dragonfly Red purchase.

I suppose if that didn't work I could use the Red from my laptop when playing external hard drive files or Spotify or the likes.

I don't think you can use the AudioQuest Dragonfly with the FiiO X3.

The X3 can function AS a USB DAC, but to the best of my knowledge it can't drive an external DAC.

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #1,298 of 5,077
Hey guys,

very interesting thread, and very interesting products. I was wondering if anyone has experience with any of the following equipment and can offer a brief sonic comparison, since this is what I am looking at for my next purchase and sadly I'm unable to test the Dragonfly anywhere before purchase:

- Fiio E18
- Cayin C5DAC
- Shanling H3

I would be using mostly my Flare R2A (micro dynamic driver, similar to EPH-100) and K7XX (on the way), listening to pretty much everything, with a focus on non-digital instruments (so classical, acoustic, rock, jazz etc.).

Thank you for the input!

Aug 3, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #1,299 of 5,077
It's made MUCH easier by not having to deal with the near-random vagaries of the Android Audio subsystem.

iPhone/iPad ... completely predictable.

OS X, on any of the machines I have ... completely predictable.

Android, on any of the myriad devices my now-sold dev-studio has on hand ... random at best.

I'm maybe not QUITE ready to call it random, but now that you mention it, there are a lot of apparently causeless effects. Things changing, then changing back, when the only difference I can identify is the time of day.

Does everybody have the same impression of iPhones or iPads working consistently like that? Seems like I would like switching sides, or else maybe getting one of those small laptops that can dual-boot Windows and Linux.

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #1,300 of 5,077
I'm maybe not QUITE ready to call it random, but now that you mention it, there are a lot of apparently causeless effects. Things changing, then changing back, when the only difference I can identify is the time of day.

Does everybody have the same impression of iPhones or iPads working consistently like that? Seems like I would like switching sides, or else maybe getting one of those small laptops that can dual-boot Windows and Linux.

I've been using my DFB with a small, cheap (£79) Windows tablet, it's not much use for anything else but plays nice with the DFB when used with Spotify and Foobar and gives around 8-9 hours of playback provided no other apps are running.

Android devices can be hit and miss but when it works it's fine and sound quality seems to be on a par when used with Windows.

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #1,302 of 5,077

hello fellow headfi'ers....I'm finally looking to buy a DFB for my iPhone 6s+, together with CCK.

My reasoning for getting the black over the red is that I listen at very low to lowish volumes with my 
SR325e and/or 80e.....and it already sounds very good straight out of the headphone jack....but I'm
expecting some improvements in solidity, blackness, bass detail/slam, smoothness/musicality...etc.

....so, is the DFB good at low volumes with the above 2 headphones?

---->Any compelling reason to buy the Red for my use?

....I'd rather put the difference towards a future purchase of a Mojo or equivalent
primarily for use with my Macbook Pro/Jitterbug.

Any feedback?

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #1,303 of 5,077
hello fellow headfi'ers....I'm finally looking to buy a DFB for my iPhone 6s+, together with CCK.

My reasoning for getting the black over the red is that I listen at very low to lowish volumes with my 
SR325e and/or 80e.....and it already sounds very good straight out of the headphone jack....but I'm
expecting some improvements in solidity, blackness, bass detail/slam, smoothness/musicality...etc.

....so, is the DFB good at low volumes with the above 2 headphones?

---->Any compelling reason to buy the Red for my use?

....I'd rather put the difference towards a future purchase of a Mojo or equivalent
primarily for use with my Macbook Pro/Jitterbug.

I like your thought process. I'm not convinced you're right, but you are using logic. We need more info though: what source are you using? What other amps do you own?

I'll have some actual experience to advise from later this afternoon. I've had a Black for a little over a week, and this morning I took it back to the store and walked back out with a Red. As I'm using an amp between the DF and phones, my decision has nothing to do with volume. I expect that the Red will actually sound better. I'll post when I have info later!

Aug 4, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #1,304 of 5,077
hi thanks for the speedy, friendly reply!

My source is IOS - iPhone 6S+ and iPad.
On my Mac, I use ALO the Island/Jitterbug w/my GS1000i (very euphonic/great combo! Potent tone and detail!).

My concern is that over the iPhone at low volume levels, will the difference between DFB and DFR be easily
discernable, and will is be worth spending $170 CND more for the Red?

....do they both work well at low volume, or is the higher powered Red more difficult to use at low volumes?

At the same time, many bought the black and some upgraded to the Red, it may be worth getting the Red just
to keep cognitive dissonance away!

Aug 4, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #1,305 of 5,077
--- on 2nd thought and after pondering yet more reviews, I've decided to go with Dragonfly Red,
esp. as I've read that the upgrade in sq/soundstage/detail is well worth it, and that it controls better
at low volumes.

I'll have it in a couple days and will be able to report back at that time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back