New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 29, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #437 of 5,077

I've had this issue too with Win7, and now with Win10... and for me, it's not Dragonfly, because I'm only using onboard audio right now. For me it happens when CPU load is at or near 100% (or perhaps when other resources are low), and I don't recall earlier version of Windows having this sound effect when other process are sucking cycles from audio. And for me it's either local files on Foobar2k, or Youtube audio, pretty much any source.

There actually is an app called "Fidelizer", which has its own thread here, which should help to address this problem (if it is low PC resources for you guys too), which I haven't tried much yet: http://www.head-fi.org/t/794314/fidelizer-appreciation-and-impressions-thread

I also tried an app which exclusively sets process priority of apps higher or lower, "Prio", on Win7 (not available on Win10, though there are similar ones that are), and had some luck with it, though I imagine you wouldn't use it at the same time as Fidelizer.

I am pretty sure 99.99999999% that it's Dragonfly related. If it was not Dragonfly related, my other DACs would have issues and they don't. The issue has only occurred with specifically the Dragonfly Black. I have a Geek Out V2 and a Geek Out 450 and they're rock solid for performance.

May 29, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #438 of 5,077

I am pretty sure 99.99999999% that it's Dragonfly related. If it was not Dragonfly related, my other DACs would have issues and they don't. The issue has only occurred with specifically the Dragonfly Black. I have a Geek Out V2 and a Geek Out 450 and they're rock solid for performance.

It might be Dragonfly related -- Dragonfly might be contributing to it -- but it can't be the only reason, since I don't have a Dragonfly. That is if we're seeing the same issue (robotic sound, with slowing down).

I don't know. It's possible Dragonfly uses more PC resources than other USB DAC's? -- that would at least explain what we're seeing -- though I don't know how likely that is.

May 29, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #440 of 5,077
  well as per the above, all i can say is thank god for firmware uprgradeability.
:wink:

Yeah, too bad it's unusable until the fix comes in. If the fix ever comes in. This is the second Dragonfly product I haven't been impressed with. The first time I bought the 1.2 after much hype and it sounded no better than my on-board soundcard in my laptop.

Then we get the brand new Black after much hype, and the thing is causing technical issues. Not to mention all the Android havoc that people are running into.

May 30, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #442 of 5,077
I'm curious; has anyone tried plugging a Dragonfy into an uptone USB Regen?

May 31, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #443 of 5,077
Different tangent, but the red plays nicely with the Jitterbug (as you'd hope, being the same manufacturer!), but something I don't get (and this afflicts the chord Hugo too) on the Samsung S7, the quick connect function shows up correctly but doesn't seem to work, am I missing something simple?

May 31, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #445 of 5,077
can someone compare the red dragonfly vs. the mojo? im interested in it :) 
hoping someone will comment on it...
I could when I get home later if no one beats me to it, what are you wanting to compare, any particular specifics? also, what usage scenario, as that will make a difference (my pocket feels liberated, that's a fact!)

Oh, I've answered my own question above... If the screen is, the volume doesn't change if wanting to adjust, screen off (or case closed in my case) the volume control works as it should... Odd!

May 31, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #446 of 5,077
I could when I get home later if no one beats me to it, what are you wanting to compare, any particular specifics? also, what usage scenario, as that will make a difference (my pocket feels liberated, that's a fact!)

Oh, I've answered my own question above... If the screen is, the volume doesn't change if wanting to adjust, screen off (or case closed in my case) the volume control works as it should... Odd!

thank you very much!
youre heaven sent.
ill wait for you :)

just sound quality alone.
im only wanting to know their difference.

May 31, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #447 of 5,077

That's how UAPP handles volume control with an external DAC. If you have UAPP open in the foreground you can control volume with the screen on.

May 31, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #448 of 5,077
can someone compare the red dragonfly vs. the mojo? im interested in it :) 
hoping someone will comment on it...

I compared the 1.2 to the Mojo & the Mojo was clearly superior.

With the red the differences (used with my MacBook) compared to the mojo were so subtle, to my ears, as to be negligible. That coupled with portability etc meant I sold the mojo and used the cash to part fund a new amp. The Red fed into a Violectric amp sounds superb.

As I say, my experience of both the red & mojo have been with a MacBook but I dare say I'll find the red more convenient (with an iPhone), on the odd occasions I might use it on the go.

It's a good month ago so the details around the characteristics of the mojo vs the red have faded a bit. From memory though; the Mojo was warmer/smoother which, coupled with my Nighthawks, I found to be ever so slightly dark (I apologise for my lack of audiophile terminology!). The Red on the other hand I found to be a better partner for the Nighthawks (I guess inevitably so given in house testing etc), adding just a smidging of brightness that benifited the mids.

If you can I guess the advice is, as ever, try & audition both.

Sorry I can't be any more help than that.

May 31, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #449 of 5,077
It is quite scary how things progress, I had an original DF (v1) and thought it was just 'OK', whereas the red is genuinely exciting me :)

Oh, and either major coincidence or the jitterbug does what it's supposed to, no pops / distortion since plugging it in... Snake oil or no snake oil, it works for me

May 31, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #450 of 5,077
Can I ask a real dumb ass question - could a software update potentially make the Red MQA compatible or is it missing something from a hardware perspective?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back