New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 26, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #406 of 5,077
Hey guys,

I haven't posted here for a while. I am still forming more final thoughts on my Dragonfly Red, and I will get back to y'all when I'm ready.

I remember there was a guy suspicious of me saying the iPhone DAC is well regarded. I said What Hifi heaped praise on iPhones audio performance, and I still stand by it. However I found this review of the iPhone 6 Plus, it describes iPhone's DAC essentially as "perfect". http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm

Now, so far the sound from the Dragonfly Red is what I prefer to my iPad Air, but not by a huge margin. It's more 3D and perhaps ever so slightly more detailed. Full thoughts later.

Kind regards,
Matej

May 26, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #407 of 5,077
Hey guys,

I haven't posted here for a while. I am still forming more final thoughts on my Dragonfly Red, and I will get back to y'all when I'm ready.

I remember there was a guy suspicious of me saying the iPhone DAC is well regarded. I said What Hifi heaped praise on iPhones audio performance, and I still stand by it. However I found this review of the iPhone 6 Plus, it describes iPhone's DAC essentially as "perfect". http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm

Now, so far the sound from the Dragonfly Red is what I prefer to my iPad Air, but not by a huge margin. It's more 3D and perhaps ever so slightly more detailed. Full thoughts later.

Kind regards,
Matej

I think a lot descriptions about audio gear over emphasize the differences between equipment. A little more 3D and clarity is exactly what you're paying for. iPhone has a good DAC. Dragonfly has a slightly better DAC.

The Sennheiser HD800 S is $1700, while the Stax SR-009 is $3500, more than twice the cost. No one is going to hear a $1800 difference in sound. Even the AKG K7XX at $199 won't sound $3301 worse than the SR-009. It'll sound a little less 3D, less precise, not as accurate, but it'll still sound good. Why? Because all three are good headphones. Once you get to a certain point, all you can expect is "a little better."

It's like adding cheese to a hamburger or ketchup to French fries. It doesn't change one thing to something else. It's just makes it a little better.

May 26, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #408 of 5,077

From the google play app page:

Tidal is one of the main source options in the UAPP app:

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that. It was right in front of my face!

first i apologize for not being an informed as many are on here...and in my post i meant to say (now corrected)
that the UAPP app works only with Tidal currently (and not  with spotify or apple).

...i think both steve and others have explained it better than do I ...something about a licencing agreement
between Tidal and UAPP...wherein you access Tidal THRU the UAPP app.
Am i correct folks? can someone help expand and clarify this, please?

I understood your post, was just asking how to use it with Tidal as per above. Thanks! 

-Collin-

May 26, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #409 of 5,077
Last time I tried UAPP it was only working with 'Tidal' streaming and didn't work with any downloaded content, not sure if that has changed but if it's still the same it would limit when/how you can use the DF RED/BLACK with Tidal on your Android device.

May 27, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #410 of 5,077
I think a lot descriptions about audio gear over emphasize the differences between equipment. A little more 3D and clarity is exactly what you're paying for. iPhone has a good DAC. Dragonfly has a slightly better DAC.

The Sennheiser HD800 S is $1700, while the Stax SR-009 is $3500, more than twice the cost. No one is going to hear a $1800 difference in sound. Even the AKG K7XX at $199 won't sound $3301 worse than the SR-009. It'll sound a little less 3D, less precise, not as accurate, but it'll still sound good. Why? Because all three are good headphones. Once you get to a certain point, all you can expect is "a little better."

It's like adding cheese to a hamburger or ketchup to French fries. It doesn't change one thing to something else. It's just makes it a little better.

I agree with you. Many times, I fail to perceive ANY difference between the iPad and Dragonfly Red, and that's while listening to jazz on Tidal Hifi. Anyway, today I ordered a HD600 and HD650 (I will return the one I like less), I'm curious to compare how the Dragonfly drives those compared to my Momentum 2s, and whether there will be more difference between the Red and the iPad with those. If not, I will return the Dragonfly Red.

May 27, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #411 of 5,077
  Ok. So I've had Red for about 3 weeks now (augmented by the Jitterbug). I'm definitely familiar with the sound and happy with it. But the entire time I've always been curious how it compares to Mojo. I've never been able to keep off the Mojo thread, and the fact that it's 1200+ pages now and that Mojo has so many glowing reviews on outside sites had me lusting for a difference. I knew I could not totally "settle" w/ the Red until I heard Mojo firsthand myself. So I sprung for it...got it yesterday...and here's my honest-to-goodness, completely transparent thought after a day of listening:

I personally can't tell any difference between Dragonfly Red and Mojo.

I can certainly tell they both improve the music on my laptop. But I can't really tell if one improves the music "better" than the other, and in fact honestly can't really tell them apart from each other in regards to how they improve the music. Both seem to give me better separation, better definition, better bass, etc.

Keep in mind I ONLY plan on using my dac/amp for my laptop, as I'm perfectly happy with my Sine + Cipher plugged straight into my iPod Touch for portable. So maybe Mojo really separates from the pack when you get into mobile use...I don't know (it seems most everyone on the thread has it strapped to a phone or DAP). I'm also willing to admit I probably don't have golden ears (or silver ears, or bronze, or anything) -- and perhaps other folks can tell a night and day difference between the two.

I plan on auditioning them a few more days since I have time before I'd have to return, but at this point I'd say I'm leaning towards returning the Mojo/keeping the Red and getting the $400 differential back. For me to fork over that difference, I REALLY wanted to hear a clear victory...but my ears just aren't finding it.

(on top of that, I'd forgotten how convenient the Red is in NEVER having to recharge or plug into a wall...I can tell that maintaining my charge and whatnot would get slightly annoying after time, especially if I'm ready to listen but had forgotten and let it drain)

+1 same here

did some listening with Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered and Shure SE846 - there is mostly no audible difference for the regular person. Mojo should be technically superior to Dragonfly, and I believe some measurements can prove it.. but it doesn't mean for the regular use, there are some day / night sound signature changes.

Audioquest with it's price point wins the race when used with in-ears. Can't tell the power abilities with 300 or 600 ohm cans..
Unbeatable size / portability. No battery, no charging. Volume control. No overheating.

May 27, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #412 of 5,077
question, everyone: on those using the dragontail cable
(and i'm not trying to have this become a cables discussion diversion):
is it built any differently than a generic $5 cable no name brand from my local electronics retailer?

still deciding on red vs blk...i have nothing difficult to drive.

May 27, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #413 of 5,077
I just bought a Dragonfly Black from Richer Sounds in London Bridge. And then purchased an Android On The Go cable from Maplin, part number A83QH (£11.99). I have Sennheiser IE800 earphones.

Trouble is, when I plug in the Dragonfly to my Galaxy S4 (UK i9505 version running Android 5.0.1), my ear phones just produce a loud constant tone of electrical noise mixed with static. Spotify, Youtube, et, are all unable to be used, even Samsung notification/confirmation sounds are provided to me as a sharp jackhammer of electrical noise into both my ears. There's nothing identifiable.

The Android cable usb plug hole depth seems to only fit half of the Dragonfly inside, so I was wondering if that was the issue?

Pic of cable here: http://imgur.com/wSgFBh9

That's as deep as it goes.

May 27, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #414 of 5,077
Just received the Dragonfly Red. to be honest was hoping it would be close with my Mojo, so I could use it as main with my SE846 and SRH1540

So far Ive done limited testing, but can say with ease, its not going to replace the Mojo, or even close (to my ears)

Tested with iPhone and Macbook and Flacplayer and Fideila on Mac.

As for iPhone it might be worth keeping for upgrade to power and sound, and is great pick up and go portable solution, never did get to take Mojo out much even after getting custom cable to make it easy.

but when used as a desktop solution Mojo wins hands down, I found myself forgetting I was testing and listening to the full track with the Mojo, it has such depth and foot taping abilities.

Will do more testing with other types of music (so far just Radiohead, Zeppelin, Jazz funk and Bowie)

Hope that helps anyone about to buy this for same reason as me!

May 27, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #415 of 5,077
I just bought a Dragonfly Black from Richer Sounds in London Bridge. And then purchased an Android On The Go cable from Maplin, part number A83QH (£11.99). I have Sennheiser IE800 earphones.

Trouble is, when I plug in the Dragonfly to my Galaxy S4 (UK i9505 version running Android 5.0.1), my ear phones just produce a loud constant tone of electrical noise mixed with static. Spotify, Youtube, et, are all unable to be used, even Samsung notification/confirmation sounds are provided to me as a sharp jackhammer of electrical noise into both my ears. There's nothing identifiable.

The Android cable usb plug hole depth seems to only fit half of the Dragonfly inside, so I was wondering if that was the issue?

Pic of cable here: http://imgur.com/wSgFBh9

That's as deep as it goes.

The USB connector on the Dragonfly is very long. That is how it looks with my cable too.

Try downloading Onkyo HF Player or USB Audio Player Pro and see if the DF works. Also try using a different OTG cable. Android cables are very sensitive.

May 27, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #416 of 5,077
is it built any differently than a generic $5 cable no name brand from my local electronics retailer?

I can't quite answer your question but what I have found, to my ears, is that Dragontail->Jitterbug->Red sounds better than plugging the jitterbug directly into a USB port.

May 27, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #417 of 5,077
I can't quite answer your question but what I have found, to my ears, is that Dragontail->Jitterbug->Red sounds better than plugging the jitterbug directly into a USB port.

I have (and love) that exact same combo. I can't exactly articulate how it sounds better WITH this combo...but more like I think it sounds worse WITHOUT it. A slight clean/less noisy/less fatiguing effect? I feel like I can listen a tad quieter too.

The added bonus is it allows me to sit on couch with laptop quite comfortably. When the long Red was sticking out of my computer w/ the headphones plugged in, I didn't love the stress on the USB -- it just seemed to float and want to sag (even if it didn't). The Jitterbug + Tail allows me to sit in pretty much any combination and have Red resting comfortably.

May 27, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #418 of 5,077

Yes, you could say it's built different. It consist of higher quality material as in it's silver plated (solid 5% silver conductors and direct-silver plated male USB contacts). Still it's built to be transparent as in not coloring the sound at all. Then again at that short length a generic cable should be very transparent as well.

You might look into the Jitterbug if you plan to run it with a computer. Most DACs benefit from cleaner power and since the Dragonfly is USB-powered Jitterbug provides just that.

Here's a good review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRIt0BYAjTo

May 28, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #419 of 5,077
Windows 10. System volume at 2% and foobar2k volume at 20%. Anything higher would make it louder than I'm comfortable with. Similar story with my Galaxy S7, currently the lowest 1/15 setting and it's still too damn loud. What's worse is on the cellphone the hiss is just unbearable (similar to setting system volume to 100% on the PC), both normal apps and with UAPP.

Is my Dragonfly Black defective? I'm listening with 64Audio A12 and U12 ciems.

If it's not defective, is there a way to limit how loud the DAC is allowed to go up to? I'm actually a bit scared to hit play every time I plug in the DAC, already caused my ears to ring for a minute after PC decided to play at 100%. Panic-ripping out the A12's was pretty painful too :/

May 28, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #420 of 5,077
Windows 10. System volume at 2% and foobar2k volume at 20%. Anything higher would make it louder than I'm comfortable with. Similar story with my Galaxy S7, currently the lowest 1/15 setting and it's still too damn loud. What's worse is on the cellphone the hiss is just unbearable (similar to setting system volume to 100% on the PC), both normal apps and with UAPP.

Is my Dragonfly Black defective? I'm listening with 64Audio A12 and U12 ciems.

If it's not defective, is there a way to limit how loud the DAC is allowed to go up to? I'm actually a bit scared to hit play every time I plug in the DAC, already caused my ears to ring for a minute after PC decided to play at 100%. Panic-ripping out the A12's was pretty painful too :/

In UAPP on the play screen hit the menu button top right, lower the hardware volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back