New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 31, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #466 of 5,077
Too big for me though, now summer is (allegedly!) on its way in the UK I need to travel light (jeans pocket)...

The price of portability, but what makes the iFi better?
Yes the ifi is too big to be portable. It's more powerful, versatile and for me has a bigger soundstage. Drives my hd800 much better. I'm about to out to the pool. With iphone6 DFR and jitterbug. Even Mojo is too big sometimes. If you don't need a phone with you get a Pono.

May 31, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #467 of 5,077
Forgive the awful picture quality, on a bus, the other advantage of this micro setup (for me) is the pretty much perfect size match with the S7 Edge...

Now a mission to find a USB OTG cable that is low profile and allows me to stick this to the back of the phone...

I also pair my red with my s7 edge. Please inform what you notice with the jitterbug vs red alone. I only listen to music through my phone. I was under the impression that the jitterbug was mainly for PC/laptop use. I'm curious to know what effects are seen by its introduction with an Android device. Thx in advance

May 31, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #468 of 5,077
  A few pages back, several of us had that very discussion -- check it out by starting here and advancing several replies.

A week later after lots of listening, I hold the same opinion that I did on day 1 when I made that post: I personally can't tell an audible/discernible difference between Red and Mojo. There might be plenty of measurements and tests that indicate a difference...and I'm sure plenty of other users say they can hear a difference...but if I'm being completely honest, I cannot.

On top of that, the convenience offered by Red really puts it over the top (in my opinion). I've already had one instance with Mojo when I came back and was looking forward to listening to music, but after one song it shut down (dead batter). Never, ever having to worry about battery/charging (plus the tiny form factor) is so awesome with Red. I don't even use mine with portable -- it's for 100% laptop use. Because of that, I too am using Jitterbug and I really like the combo.

Because of all this, I will be sending Mojo back and using the $400 differential for other things.

thanks @brent75  for pointing me to that link.
however, may i know what gear are you pairing with in your mojo and the red?
(iem and headphone)

May 31, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #469 of 5,077
(iem and headphone)

To brent75 the red/mojo have equal sq. For others the mojo rules. Why can't this hobby be objective lol!

Having said that, for my desktop I don't really want a battery operated gizmo either.

May 31, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #470 of 5,077

To brent75 the red/mojo have equal sq. For others the mojo rules. Why can't this hobby be objective lol!

Having said that, for my desktop I don't really want a battery operated gizmo either.

and you know, the mojo just might rule..but does it rule at 3x the level to match the cost diff?
if it did i'm sure most people would jump on that...but like you said: 'tis subjective, too
as well as based on one's musical source, your own exposure to quality music/equipment etc.

May 31, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #471 of 5,077
  I have no idea why the iPod Touch 6 Gen would/should get knocked. For just $400 you can get 128GB storage...amazing touch screen...great form factor/UI...etc. And because of the App Store (and things like Onkyo HF Player) -- it's an insane deal. My Mojo shows up Tuesday --- I'm curious to hear how they pair. 

good to hear

May 31, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #472 of 5,077

(iem and headphone)

Source: MacBook Air
Player: Roon
Headphones: Hifiman HE400S (with Brainwavz pads), Audeze Sine
IEMs: Westone W30
Tracks: FLAC, ALAC, AAC -- anywhere from 44 to 192

May 31, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #473 of 5,077

I honestly wonder if I have "reverse expectation bias" -- in that I'm coming in EXPECTING the Mojo to run laps around the Red because it's 3x the cost. But it's just not - not at all. Perhaps it actually is a bit better, but because I'm subconsciously expecting it to cure cancer and turn water into wine, it comes across to my ears as equal.

Crazy theory? Who knows.

In lieu of that, I'm guessing it's either that:

1. There is no discernible difference (at least casual listening -- perhaps if I was searching for specifics I'd find it)
2. My gear is not good enough to tell the difference
3. My ears are not "golden" enough to tell the difference

May 31, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #474 of 5,077
I honestly wonder if I have "reverse expectation bias" -- in that I'm coming in EXPECTING the Mojo to run laps around the Red because it's 3x the cost. But it's just not - not at all. Perhaps it actually is a bit better, but because I'm subconsciously expecting it to cure cancer and turn water into wine, it comes across to my ears as equal.

Crazy theory? Who knows.

In lieu of that, I'm guessing it's either that:

1. There is no discernible difference (at least casual listening -- perhaps if I was searching for specifics I'd find it)
2. My gear is not good enough to tell the difference
3. My ears are not "golden" enough to tell the difference

It's hard to say! But what's important is that YOU listened to them BOTH, and the Red works for you. In this case it ends up saving you a bunch of $$$, so it's all good :)

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #475 of 5,077
I really enjoy my new DF Black, connected to the s7edge and feeding the shure se846 IEMs.
Before that I truely disliked the sound quality of the s7edge and considered to replace it with the new htc 10 (although slightly inferior to the s7e).
Now my s7e sounds better. The DFB , with a short OTG cable does not compremise mobility and it seems economical with battery consumption.

Truely like the DFB.

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #476 of 5,077
Are you getting low volume issues with your S7E?

I'm looking to upgrade to something current gen from my S4 since the DAC doesn't seem to work with any app with the S4 except for USB Audio Player Pro. (no tidal, spotify, etc)

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #477 of 5,077

I'm looking to upgrade to something current gen from my S4 since the DAC doesn't seem to work with any app with the S4 except for USB Audio Player Pro. (no tidal, spotify, etc)

You can use Tidal through UAPP.

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #478 of 5,077
Do not have Tidal. Listen mostly to Spotify.
 Volume has to be pushed high but it suffice for my low impedance IEMs.
For example UAPP volume works fine with the DFB; Poweramp and Neutron sound great.
BTW I have the exynos s7e.

For Spotify I use Bass Equalizer app, which I found to be ok (compared to Equalizer and Eizo Pro)
I use that because I cannot root and install Viper4Android.

Hope for a DFB sw Update to resolve android compatibility issues.

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #479 of 5,077

The issue isn't you s4, it's a problem with Android in general. The only DACs that work on all Android apps are ones without any built in volume control, for example the hifimediy Android dac, or the fiio k1. No internal volume control therefore they are at max volume once plugged in . FYI, there is a great difference in overall sound quality when dac is straight from Android, vs when through UAPP. ITS night and day. UAPP of Onkyo app with their drivers make the absolute most out of whichever DAC is plugged in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back