New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 2, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #481 of 5,077
I wonder if the ability to update the firmware to get playback of files up to 32 bit 384 kHz, because the chipset supports 
L3000.gif

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #483 of 5,077
Just bought RED today and when connected to a PC it has a lot of power, but when connected to Galasy S6 it lacks power. Can't even drive Nighthawks loud enough on max volume. Any tips?

Use USB Audio Player Pro.

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #485 of 5,077
Jun 2, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #486 of 5,077
Perfect. UAPP integrates with Tidal. You're all set.

will be even more interesting if Tidal integrates the MQA format, too

good article by Darko below on this....so few MQA recordings...equally few daps and dacs etc
supporting it...so it seems streaming might be a way to really bring it out the masses.
(Darko talks of Tidal's involvement midway in article)
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/06/an-inconvenient-truth-mqa-sounds-better/

...now that would perhaps make for a significant sound diff from the competitors and make me want to 'buy up'
from spotify extreme @ 320kps download...but then again, no doubt with spotify being
the biggest streaming player out there they'd up their bitrate too to not lose their stronghold.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #487 of 5,077

Interesting point of view from Schitt regarding why they won't be supporting MQA!
http://schiit.com/news?m

" We believe that supporting MQA means handing over the entire recording industry to an external standards organisation"!
" We consider MQA to be yet another “format distraction” that makes high-end audio more confusing and insular."  …...

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #489 of 5,077
  Installed UAPP, what now? I don't think AudioQuest mentioned anything about extra apps for android. Shouldn't it be plug &play? It works, but with lot less power than with PC.

In the pop-out menu, click on Hardware Volume and drag that sucker up!

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #490 of 5,077

In the pop-out menu, click on Hardware Volume and drag that sucker up!

Done that and Tidal is deaf now.

I've just uninstalled UAPP and double checked volume levels on DFR and S6 Edge +. Headphone uotput of S6 is about 2/3 louder than HO of DFR. This is hilarious, and I don't want to use any other apps to listenning music on my phone.

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #491 of 5,077
I got a DFR about two weeks ago.  Enjoying Great Sound Quality on my Windows PC...  And my Android 5.0 Smartphone with UAPP.

I was thinking.... If the DFR defaulted to full output when connected to Android devices, wouldn't the low volume problems for non-UAPP software be eliminated? 

And I remember Steve Silberman saying that "full output is normal and volume control just reduces it".      So, to my simple mind...  I would think that it might be possible to have the DFR detect if it's volume control is beiing used, and if not, go to full power ?      Not sure IF the DFR have the smarts to do this... But think it would improve usefulness for a lot of Android folks.  (Maybe a way to manually trigger this change via a small piece of software on the phone?)

Anyway, I am happy with the DFR.   But think that a small change could make it great for even Android !

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #492 of 5,077
just downloaded the Onkyo HD player for the ipod.
what a great little program this is. now my overly boomy xb90ex
can be adjusted to be much more balanced, and still have good bass slam.

will be interesting to see how the DF Red might further refines things.
(picking one up tonight for 15% off from a local guy unloading his)

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #493 of 5,077
Done that and Tidal is deaf now.

I've just uninstalled UAPP and double checked volume levels on DFR and S6 Edge +. Headphone uotput of S6 is about 2/3 louder than HO of DFR. This is hilarious, and I don't want to use any other apps to listenning music on my phone.
There is definitely something not right there...

The Red goes substantially louder on the S7 (maximum volume on the S7 is about 2/3, maybe less - of the volume scale on the Red via UAPP)...

What version of Android is the S6 on?

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #494 of 5,077
There is definitely something not right there...

The Red goes substantially louder on the S7 (maximum volume on the S7 is about 2/3, maybe less - of the volume scale on the Red via UAPP)...

What version of Android is the S6 on?

The difefrences on volume level are noticed without UAPP. With UAPP there is no sound coming from Tidal at all. It may be that i've messed something in UAPP settings. I'll try to install it again, but I don't want tu use it.

EDIT: Still the same, Tidal is not making a sound after installing UAPP.

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #495 of 5,077

The difefrences on volume level are noticed without UAPP. With UAPP there is no sound coming from Tidal at all. It may be that i've messed something in UAPP settings. I'll try to install it again, but I don't want tu use it.

EDIT: Still the same, Tidal is not making a sound after installing UAPP.

Did you reboot after uninstalling UAPP? I had this issue with S5, I had to reboot after using UAPP so that the DAC was released back to the Android audio, without a reboot UAPP seemed to hold onto the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back