New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 31, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #451 of 5,077
Can I ask a real dumb ass question - could a software update potentially make the Red MQA compatible or is it missing something from a hardware perspective?
a hack maybe, but then it would be breaking it's own purpose (power efficiency)... Maybe a new colour could be released that isn't power efficient that would get around that

May 31, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #452 of 5,077
I compared the 1.2 to the Mojo & the Mojo was clearly superior.

With the red the differences (used with my MacBook) compared to the mojo were so subtle, to my ears, as to be negligible. That coupled with portability etc meant I sold the mojo and used the cash to part fund a new amp. The Red fed into a Violectric amp sounds superb.

As I say, my experience of both the red & mojo have been with a MacBook but I dare say I'll find the red more convenient (with an iPhone), on the odd occasions I might use it on the go.

It's a good month ago so the details around the characteristics of the mojo vs the red have faded a bit. From memory though; the Mojo was warmer/smoother which, coupled with my Nighthawks, I found to be ever so slightly dark (I apologise for my lack of audiophile terminology!). The Red on the other hand I found to be a better partner for the Nighthawks (I guess inevitably so given in house testing etc), adding just a smidging of brightness that benifited the mids.

If you can I guess the advice is, as ever, try & audition both.

Sorry I can't be any more help than that.

Thank you very much for that helpful input.
Im just measuring if there is something else that would be an alternative or something that would better mojo in its price range.

You mean, for the red to be really appreciated, you needed to pair it with an amp? Did i get it right? Straight as standalone wouldnt it be good already?

Also theres the astrapi and aegis who rivals this in its class.

Sorry for asking, but i plan to let go of my mojo and use the money for an iem upgrade, for additional fund IF, and only IF the red is at the mojo's level of siund quality.

My set up now is:

FIIO X3ii in crystal cable to CHORD MOJO.

May 31, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #453 of 5,077
Thank you very much for that helpful input.
Im just measuring if there is something else that would be an alternative or something that would better mojo in its price range.

You mean, for the red to be really appreciated, you needed to pair it with an amp? Did i get it right? Straight as standalone wouldnt it be good already?

Also theres the astrapi and aegis who rivals this in its class.

It was fine unamped (the Nighthawks are easy to drive though), but adding an amp just helped add a bit of punch etc

May 31, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #454 of 5,077
For what it's worth; I forgot to mention I'm using a Jitterbug between MacBook and Red -> what I would say is it's effect seems more noticeable with red than the mojo.

May 31, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #455 of 5,077
  can someone compare the red dragonfly vs. the mojo? im interested in it :) 
hoping someone will comment on it...

A few pages back, several of us had that very discussion -- check it out by starting here and advancing several replies.

A week later after lots of listening, I hold the same opinion that I did on day 1 when I made that post: I personally can't tell an audible/discernible difference between Red and Mojo. There might be plenty of measurements and tests that indicate a difference...and I'm sure plenty of other users say they can hear a difference...but if I'm being completely honest, I cannot.

On top of that, the convenience offered by Red really puts it over the top (in my opinion). I've already had one instance with Mojo when I came back and was looking forward to listening to music, but after one song it shut down (dead batter). Never, ever having to worry about battery/charging (plus the tiny form factor) is so awesome with Red. I don't even use mine with portable -- it's for 100% laptop use. Because of that, I too am using Jitterbug and I really like the combo.

Because of all this, I will be sending Mojo back and using the $400 differential for other things.

May 31, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #456 of 5,077
Forgive the awful picture quality, on a bus, the other advantage of this micro setup (for me) is the pretty much perfect size match with the S7 Edge...

Now a mission to find a USB OTG cable that is low profile and allows me to stick this to the back of the phone...

May 31, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #457 of 5,077
Forgive the awful picture quality, on a bus, the other advantage of this micro setup (for me) is the pretty much perfect size match with the S7 Edge...

Now a mission to find a USB OTG cable that is low profile and allows me to stick this to the back of the phone...
hi. Im new here and totaly newbie. Can you notice a difference if you dont use jitterbug in your set up? I have xperia z3, df red and sennheiser hd 600. Im thinking of buying jitterbug but i want to hear inputs. =)

May 31, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #458 of 5,077
hi. Im new here and totaly newbie. Can you notice a difference if you dont use jitterbug in your set up? I have xperia z3, df red and sennheiser hd 600. Im thinking of buying jitterbug but i want to hear inputs. =)
To be fair, portably you would be hard pushed to notice an audible (tonal) difference, maybe a tiny bit more richness - but, without DBT there is no way to verify this (with me) isn't placebo...

What it DOES do though, which is worth its weight in gold, is clear up the pops etc. that I was experiencing - that in itself is priceless)

May 31, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #459 of 5,077
...Just want to make sure I haven't missed a secret handshake or something, and that the app for updates is "coming soon" for everyone (i.e. there isn't a beta app floating around anywhere?)

May 31, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #460 of 5,077
Hello
I have buy the red version and use whit Samsung s7 edge and streaming audio Tidal in Hi-fi Quality
At the first moment i have the prb whit low volume , but i buy the audio usb pro and now all is good
For me the final Quality in over the fiio x7 whit a1 o a5 module ( i have try both) , only i need make good eq for improve the voice
But the sound is greath , and i ma very happy

May 31, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #461 of 5,077
I had the DF v1.2 and sold it a few months back. I did a bunch of comparisons and didn't think it improved things significantly enough for me to keep it. I somewhat reluctantly bought the DF Red last week, assuming I would play with it, return for refund and buy the Mojo. I have been using it for about 24 hours with my iPhone 6, using the new Apple Lightning to USB 3.0 Camera Adapter (which is great as it allows me to charge iPhone while using the DF Red), running Vox, playing a handful of 16/44, 24/48, 24/96, 24/192 FLAC files. I've also tested streaming from Apple Music. My IEMs aren't anything special...Etymotic HF5s (with custom ear molds). In a word, the DF Red is brilliant. I'll save the few hundred dollars I planned on putting toward the Mojo and put toward some better IEMs perhaps. But in all honesty, they have given new life to my HF5s. Playing lossless FLAC using Vox is where I noticed the most significant improvement, but streaming Apple Music is much improved as well. I'm not going to get into all the characteristic improvements (until I've had a bit more time to test), but I will say that the DF Red is balls out better than it should reasonably sound for 200 slices of cheddar.

May 31, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #462 of 5,077
I have the DFR, Mojo and ifI idsd Micro. I enjoy all three. The Mojo is smoother than the DFR and can play higher sample rates. Hands down I would take the ifi. Desktop performance in a small package.

May 31, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #463 of 5,077
I have the DFR, Mojo and ifI idsd Micro. I enjoy all three. The Mojo is smoother than the DFR and can play higher sample rates. Hands down I would take the ifi. Desktop performance in a small package.

Really? I'm curious to try the ifi now! :grinning:

May 31, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #464 of 5,077
Too big for me though, now summer is (allegedly!) on its way in the UK I need to travel light (jeans pocket)...

The price of portability, but what makes the iFi better?

May 31, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #465 of 5,077
Too big for me though, now summer is (allegedly!) on its way in the UK I need to travel light (jeans pocket)...

The price of portability, but what makes the iFi better?

I'm interested as well, but mainly just for off of my laptop. Currently I'm using a ZuperDAC off of my laptop, then swapping it onto my phone when I go which is bit of a pain (yes, I like it that much). I might just get another Zuperdac, or a Dragonfly 1.2 or Red, but I should probably look at other options if I'm just going to be using the dac off of my laptop. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back