New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jul 5, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #4,487 of 5,077
I don't have the DFB or v1.2, but according to the Dragonfly comparison sheet (PDF), v1.2 has silver lettering and the Black has gold lettering.

Hoping for your sake that you have the Black!

thanks. its the white lettering, his own pictures in his sell thread show the white lettering and silver tip too, yet he adverted v1.5 DF black for sale... so yeah i got ripped off. gonna contact moderators and him, show him screenshots, see if I can get a refund from him of some kind.

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #4,489 of 5,077
I have had the DFR for about a week. It is a very nice upgrade from the sound from my laptop.

It is getting time to either return it or keep it. I think I’ll keep it, but I’m already wondering if there is a better alternative when you include price, performance and form factor to the equation?

Jul 20, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #4,490 of 5,077
I have had the DFR for about a week. It is a very nice upgrade from the sound from my laptop.

It is getting time to either return it or keep it. I think I’ll keep it, but I’m already wondering if there is a better alternative when you include price, performance and form factor to the equation?
Well there’s a reason the DFR hasn’t bulged in price since release, or been replaced by a v2 device. There are a myriad contenders, but not many with that particular combination of ease of use, sound quality, amp power, excellent manufacturing quality and support from an established brand. I tried the Encore mDSD, it’s great but a step below in refinement, runs hot since it can decode more advanced formats that nobody uses and which require specific drivers...

The Cyrus Soundkey is supposed to be good and modern and seems even smaller, but with a laptop the footprint of a Dragonfly is negligible already and the Soundkey adds one cable to the equation since it doesn’t plug directly into a USB port. Plus it’s far from the DFR in power (they recommend 64 Ohms max impedance). I haven’t heard Beyerdynamic’s Impacto, it’s priced above Audioquest’s line but can only, exclusively, be used with their own headphones (!?).

That’s the thing with most of the competition: the devices are too old, or not mature enough, or hampered by weird restrictions, or developed with capabilities just as bizarre that end up as liabilities, so you run into issues that Audioquest has wisely side-stepped as they kept gunning for what’s most important in this form factor.

If anything I’d draw your attention to another type of device entirely: the high-quality Bluetooth receivers such as Radsone’s ES100, which acts as an external USB DACs for a PC like the DFR does, but mostly feeds your wired gear with dual AKM DAC sound through LDAC or aptX HD and works its magic from your pocket, in your car... Amazing app when used from a phone too, and their support has been incredible through the past months.

Jul 20, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #4,491 of 5,077
Well there’s a reason the DFR hasn’t bulged in price since release, or been replaced by a v2 device. There are a myriad contenders, but not many with that particular combination of ease of use, sound quality, amp power, excellent manufacturing quality and support from an established brand. I tried the Encore mDSD, it’s great but a step below in refinement, runs hot since it can decode more advanced formats that nobody uses and which require specific drivers...

The Cyrus Soundkey is supposed to be good and modern and seems even smaller, but with a laptop the footprint of a Dragonfly is negligible already and the Soundkey adds one cable to the equation since it doesn’t plug directly into a USB port. Plus it’s far from the DFR in power (they recommend 64 Ohms max impedance). I haven’t heard Beyerdynamic’s Impacto, it’s priced above Audioquest’s line but can only, exclusively, be used with their own headphones (!?).

That’s the thing with most of the competition: the devices are too old, or not mature enough, or hampered by weird restrictions, or developed with capabilities just as bizarre that end up as liabilities, so you run into issues that Audioquest has wisely side-stepped as they kept gunning for what’s most important in this form factor.

If anything I’d draw your attention to another type of device entirely: the high-quality Bluetooth receivers such as Radsone’s ES100, which acts as an external USB DACs for a PC like the DFR does, but mostly feeds your wired gear with dual AKM DAC sound through LDAC or aptX HD and works its magic from your pocket, in your car... Amazing app when used from a phone too, and their support has been incredible through the past months.

Thanks man

Jul 20, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #4,492 of 5,077
I believe there are DACs with similar form factor/performance and lower prices from SMSL and Sabaj. But like you just said to yourself, "who?"
At least one of them (can't remember which) is not compatible with smartphones and will, in fact, damage them because it draws too much current.

Jul 20, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #4,493 of 5,077
I just got me a DFR used here on head-fi for $125 a couple nights ago. going to sell my schiit fulla 1 for $40 or $45, fiio k1 for $30, and my Dragonfly v1.2 for $35 or 40 and just use the DFR exclusively for all portable audio, and even dedicated desktop if I decide to sell my Lyr 3 someday, will need to compare sound signatures on my various headphones see if its worth doing that though.

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #4,495 of 5,077
1) Can you recommend me a good OTG to Type-C cable for my DF Red?

2) Another question: is the DFR power enough to drive HIFIMAN HE-400i?

1. The Anker one on Amazon has done me real well on GS8 and Pixel 2. Had a brand x one before that quit in a month or so.

2. Sure it will. A coworker of mine has and loves this combo.

Jul 28, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #4,496 of 5,077
I'm thinking of getting the red. Will it work with iphone 8? Also, is there a way to connect these to cheap daps like benjie to improve listening experience on those?

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #4,497 of 5,077
I'm thinking of getting the red. Will it work with iphone 8? Also, is there a way to connect these to cheap daps like benjie to improve listening experience on those?

I use the DFR with my iPhone X (and previously with my iPhone 6S) so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work well with your iPhone 8. It will provide 2x the voltage output of the Apple lightning to 3.5mm headphone adapter 2V rms instead of 1V rms under most headphone impedances. Apple products including the lightning dongle adapter already have excellent audio components (DAC, output amp inside the adapter), so don’t expect major audio quality differences with the DFR (and I love my DFR!). The main advantage will be the increased output voltage of the DFR which provides ability to drive most high impedance headphones out there. I use the DFR with my apple portable gear (iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone X) when I use my high impedance 300 ohm or 150 ohms Sennheisers (HD600, HD6XX, HD58X). The sound is excellent, the sound level output is just what I need at its max 2V output. You will need the Apple camera adapter (USB to lightning) to use the DFR, so it’s one component more than when using the Apple lightning to audio headphone adapter, but that doesn’t bother me. If you use lower impedance headphones, save your money and use the very good Apple lightning to audio headphone adpater A1749 instead at 9$, it’s unbeatable... difficult to justify paying 200$+ for the DFR in such circumstances. But for high impedance or use as a USB DAC on cheap component PC computers the DFR is the King of the Hill!

Check these links before you purchase the DFR:

https://kenrockwell.com/apple/lightning-adapter-audio-quality.htm

https://kenrockwell.com/apple/ipad-pro-audio-quality.htm

https://kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6s-plus-audio-quality.htm

https://kenrockwell.com/apple/airport-express-audio-quality-2014.htm

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #4,499 of 5,077
Just get the Red for my Hifiman HE-400i but the volume is still low. Everyone assured the power was enough..

schiit fulla 1 and 2 have enough power, none of the dragonflys have enough power for any planar imo.

i'd sell it and get a magni 3, unless you absolutely need portability. then your next option is a schiit fulla 1 used, or a fulla 2. tho i find the schiit sound, whether it be magni 3 or fulla 2, to ruin the soundstage some. my fulla 1 does quite well for all cans.

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #4,500 of 5,077
Just get the Red for my Hifiman HE-400i but the volume is still low. Everyone assured the power was enough..

If you find that the Red doesn’t draw enough power to your HE-400i, then keep the Red and use it as a DAC in DAC mode for a higher power setup (Schiit Magni 3, O2 or similar budget amp). The Red is a fabulous DAC, one of the best there is at this price range. In DAC mode, it works flawlessly with my Massdrop O2 amp, for example. And if you use more efficient headphones in the future (most headphones are more efficient than your HE-400i, whatever the impedance), then your DragonFly Red will still be the king of the hill as a portable DAC/amp. I use it everyday with most of my headphone gear, see under my signature...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back