New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 16, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #4,456 of 5,077
And i forgot, I also have Hardware Volume control on, and which the app also allows me to use.
Thanks for the info! It looks like you do have everything set up properly. And I checked on the UAPP website that both your phone The Samsung Galaxy S8 and the are listed as working properly with UAPP's App.

FYI... My DFR has always worked with UAPP on 3 diffferent phones, and 2 different Windows Laptops. I have zero experience with Apple Products. (Except for 3 ipod classics that I converted to microsd drive for a friend).

I would suggest that you contact Audioquest directly. Or the store where you bought the DFR. Perhaps they have some other ideas to try, or you can try another one.

(Let's hope that fake/copy DFR's are not in the marketplace!)

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #4,457 of 5,077
Thanks for the info! It looks like you do have everything set up properly. And I checked on the UAPP website that both your phone The Samsung Galaxy S8 and the are listed as working properly with UAPP's App.

FYI... My DFR has always worked with UAPP on 3 diffferent phones, and 2 different Windows Laptops. I have zero experience with Apple Products. (Except for 3 ipod classics that I converted to microsd drive for a friend).

I would suggest that you contact Audioquest directly. Or the store where you bought the DFR. Perhaps they have some other ideas to try, or you can try another one.

(Let's hope that fake/copy DFR's are not in the marketplace!)
Thanks for your insights, and I will certainly do so!

Jun 17, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #4,459 of 5,077
Hi there,
I'm wondering if others are having trouble with the DFR and Spotify on Android (specifically 8.1.0 on Essential Phone)? I updated the DFR firmware a few months ago so Android volume worked without UAPP. Now for some reason I'm not getting any sound at all through the DFR when using Spotify. I get sound using the dongle that came with the phone and I get sound using the DFR and UAPP. Is there a setting I'm missing or something?
I've been using Spotify since X-Mas time-ish and mostly just find it to be a PITA.
Nobody else is having this problem?

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #4,460 of 5,077
I'm having trouble with Apple Music on android with the DFR. Songs just refuse to play. All my other music apps work eg Spotify, Google Music, and Tidal. Anyone else with this issue?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #4,461 of 5,077
I picked up a DFR for use with my Windows 10 laptop. I bought it mainly for the low output impedance. My Shure SE846 IEMs are specified as 9 ohms and are prone to significant shifts in their frequency response when used with high output impedance amps. I also considered the (new) Monoprice Monolith USB DAC but couldn't find anything stating its output impedance.

My impressions thus far:

It's terrifying loud. With the volume set to 2 it's loud, and with it at 4 it's too loud. When I enabled MQA in Tidal, it synced the Windows 10 volume setting to Tidal's volume slider which was set to 50. It was not a pleasant experience.

There's very little, if any, background noise.

It's robbed my Shures of some of their low end response. It might be a bit on the bright side for my taste. I am sensitive to treble, but overall it's not an offensive sound.

I also have Audeze LCD-4z headphones but I've yet to use them with the DFR.

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #4,462 of 5,077
I picked up a DFR for use with my Windows 10 laptop. I bought it mainly for the low output impedance. My Shure SE846 IEMs are specified as 9 ohms and are prone to significant shifts in their frequency response when used with high output impedance amps. I also considered the (new) Monoprice Monolith USB DAC but couldn't find anything stating its output impedance.

My impressions thus far:

It's terrifying loud. With the volume set to 2 it's loud, and with it at 4 it's too loud. When I enabled MQA in Tidal, it synced the Windows 10 volume setting to Tidal's volume slider which was set to 50. It was not a pleasant experience.

There's very little, if any, background noise.

It's robbed my Shures of some of their low end response. It might be a bit on the bright side for my taste. I am sensitive to treble, but overall it's not an offensive sound.

I also have Audeze LCD-4z headphones but I've yet to use them with the DFR.

I believe that DFB and DFR have volume issues with Windows. Good thing your volume was not set to 100 or else.

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #4,463 of 5,077
Very simple: what’s wrong is that you are using an Android device. Swap your Galaxy junk for an iPhone X and be happy! Just joking, but the truth is that DFR compatibility with Android devices has always been so-so. The DFR is flawless with OSX or iOS devices, and more so since iOS 11, you may use either CCK2 ou CCK3 connectors flawlessly. With Android and UAPP connectors, it has always been hit and miss. Samsung Galaxies are great phones, running a still imperfect Android OS, so compatibility problems are prone to happen. And Audioquest has done a better job with iOS compatibility of its Black and Red devices than with Android OS. Have you upgraded your Android OS to its newest version?

I just had to comment, this is wrong, have a look around this forum and elsewhere on the Internet, its full of people complaining that Apple broke device compatibility with this update and that update.

If its working at the moment, enjoy it, the next update may break it completely and Apple only care about profit, so if a non-Apple device gets broken by a F/W update don't expect a quick fix if you get a fix at all.

I'm sticking with Android and I've NEVER had an issue with any device or external audio device.

Jun 24, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #4,464 of 5,077
I have a DFR arriving tomorrow and will be using with UAPP and a Motorola Moto G 6 Android phone. I have had this set up before but cannot remember the optimum volume settings, could someone please let me know what's best.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #4,465 of 5,077
I just had to comment, this is wrong, have a look around this forum and elsewhere on the Internet, its full of people complaining that Apple broke device compatibility with this update and that update.

If its working at the moment, enjoy it, the next update may break it completely and Apple only care about profit, so if a non-Apple device gets broken by a F/W update don't expect a quick fix if you get a fix at all.

I'm sticking with Android and I've NEVER had an issue with any device or external audio device.

=========================
So you think and believe ......the truth is that Apple is an amazing company that makes fantastic products
.....Android and WIndows wouldn't exist if it weren't
for Apple's inventions..... and two wrongs don't make a right.

Everyone loves to cheer their team on...but it doesn't have to come at the expense of the truth
and free choice. No need to berate the other side.

With all due respect,.I recommend keeping indignation out of these discussions...as it leads to nowhere.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #4,466 of 5,077
=========================
So you think and believe ......the truth is that Apple is an amazing company that makes fantastic products
.....Android and WIndows wouldn't exist if it weren't
for Apple's inventions..... and two wrongs don't make a right.

Everyone loves to cheer their team on...but it doesn't have to come at the expense of the truth
and free choice. No need to berate the other side.

With all due respect,.I recommend keeping indignation out of these discussions...as it leads to nowhere.
From my point of view, I've owned 2 iPods, and they both broke after about 2 years of use each. Also Apples attitude toward file management, specifically having to use iTunes, is a nightmare. I'm android and Windows all the way because they allow the user flexibility to use their products in a way they feel comfortable with. So, your view of the truth, is just your opinion. The poster you responded to was only expressing his opinion.
Also you have done the same thing you accused the quoted poster of doing.
Keeping this post on topic - Apple Music is the only streaming/music app on my phone that doesn't work with my DFR. I think this is an issue with Apple, and not android.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #4,467 of 5,077
From my point of view, I've owned 2 iPods, and they both broke after about 2 years of use each. Also Apples attitude toward file management, specifically having to use iTunes, is a nightmare. I'm android and Windows all the way because they allow the user flexibility to use their products in a way they feel comfortable with. So, your view of the truth, is just your opinion. The poster you responded to was only expressing his opinion.
Also you have done the same thing you accused the quoted poster of doing.
Keeping this post on topic - Apple Music is the only streaming/music app on my phone that doesn't work with my DFR. I think this is an issue with Apple, and not android.

Sorry for your experiences..they are by no means universal. Competitor's products fail too.

The post I was responding to didn't take in the bigger picture IMHO.

Plenty of us have Apple products and enjoy them, live and let live.

....let's keep the discussion balanced!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #4,468 of 5,077
Sorry for your experiences..they are by no means universal. Competitor's products fail too.

The opinion didn't take in the bigger picture IMHO.

Plenty of us have Apple products and enjoy them, let's keep the discussion balanced.
1. Your experiences with Apple aren't either.
2. Absolutely agree with you. Your post that I quoted seemed to not be doing that.

Jun 24, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #4,469 of 5,077
I have a DFR arriving tomorrow and will be using with UAPP and a Motorola Moto G 6 Android phone. I have had this set up before but cannot remember the optimum volume settings, could someone please let me know what's best.

Many thanks!
I don't have the same phone as you, but I'm assuming it's more or less the same. The good thing is that none of these adjustments are irreversible, so if I were you I'd just play around with settings until it seems best for your needs. There are only three settings that matter to me, the rest just seem like personal preference...
Under Settings >> Volume:
1) USB Volume control = Hardware volume control (my take is this allows UAPP to control the DFR's volume directly, rather than decreasing bitrate through software)
2) Use volume rocker buttons = On (if this is off, you can't adjust the volume when the screen is locked or UAPP is otherwise in the background)
3) Next/prev track = Off (I want to be able to use my phone's rocker buttons to adjust the volume (see 2, above); the On position will allow you to change tracks instead)

Also, with the main volume slider at the middle position, I like to keep the hardware volume just slightly higher than my normal listening level. Otherwise it seems like volume is either too low or increments between volume steps is too great.)
I also keep crossfeed on because it seems like soundstage depth is increased slightly. Of course, this could just be me imagining things. The effect seems pretty subtle.

My one small complaint about UAPP is that they update it so frequently and it seems like often one thing is broken as they fix another. The positive aspect is that they update the app so frequently that it's not broken for very long before it's fixed again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back