New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Aug 6, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #4,516 of 5,077
Pretty sure any USB-C "OTG" cable should work. I believe somebody was recommending the Anker cable a page or two back. I don't see why any other with good reviews wouldn't work just as well, though.
I would steer you away from the Belkin one, though, because the DFR doesn't seat all the way in the USB socket. Fortunately, I don't think it's on Amazon.

Control volume on DFR by using the hardware volume keys on your phone. I'm using the S9 and it works very well. If you use USB Audio Player Pro (which I highly recommend for locally stored music), there are all sorts of adjustments for volume control.

EDIT: Oops. The Belkin one is on Amazon and it gets good reviews, but I still wouldn't recommend it. Just make sure whatever you get that the DFR plugs all the way in.

I would use the DF red only for streaming tidal.

But my note 8 volume doesn't have many steps... A shame the DF red doesn't have a small volume wheel

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #4,517 of 5,077
I would use the DF red only for streaming tidal.

But my note 8 volume doesn't have many steps... A shame the DF red doesn't have a small volume wheel
UAPP also supports Tidal, so you can control the volume that way, if you want. I don't use Tidal, so I can't speak to the interface.
Using Spotify on my S9, I don't think I've ever been wanting for more volume steps. I'd imagine it's similar to your Note 8 and Tidal.

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #4,518 of 5,077
UAPP also supports Tidal, so you can control the volume that way, if you want. I don't use Tidal, so I can't speak to the interface.
Using Spotify on my S9, I don't think I've ever been wanting for more volume steps. I'd imagine it's similar to your Note 8 and Tidal.
Wanting more control doesn't mean I Want higher volume, I just want more steps

Aug 7, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #4,520 of 5,077
Wanting more control doesn't mean I Want higher volume, I just want more steps
UAPP is perfect for that. Streaming I found hit-and-miss however, it tended to skip for me but many users have no such problem. It really is your best option for Tidal streaming (even using mobile data) and gaining finer control over volume. You can also EQ to your heart’s content in UAPP.

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #4,523 of 5,077
That's true. I don't think it's bit perfect, but I don't notice when I use it sparingly/properly. The only ill effect I've noticed was hissing when I boosted the treble +6dB for my PM-3. That went away when I remembered to cut frequencies rather than boost.
And I do think it's better than some EQs-- my old FiiO X5 and iTunes, for instance. The one on the X5 sounds like crap.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #4,524 of 5,077
Nothing like to use bit perfect. The sounds is just as musicians wanted and no time wasted on EQ. Not forget that some EQ configurations can work well for some albums but not good for others.
Well, you could argue that to get just what the musicians wanted you also need to listen with the same headphones and a similar-sounding source to what the sound engineer had in his booth or at the concert, and also make sure the musicians actually enjoyed his mix or the sound of a particular live recording. I think most musicians, by publishing their music, are implicitly encouraging us to connect wih it in the manner that suits us. I’m sure some would object to their creations being listened to on crappy gear, or with weird frequency responses or demented equalizing, but that’s usually an issue sound engineers care about more than the musicians themselves.

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #4,525 of 5,077
Well, you could argue that to get just what the musicians wanted you also need to listen with the same headphones and a similar-sounding source to what the sound engineer had in his booth or at the concert, and also make sure the musicians actually enjoyed his mix or the sound of a particular live recording. I think most musicians, by publishing their music, are implicitly encouraging us to connect wih it in the manner that suits us. I’m sure some would object to their creations being listened to on crappy gear, or with weird frequency responses or demented equalizing, but that’s usually an issue sound engineers care about more than the musicians themselves.
This! A thousand times this!
I don't understand the argument for "transparent" headphones or speakers for this very reason. Unless you're listening on the same gear-- or at least gear that sounds the same-- as what was used in recording/mastering/etc., you're never going to hear it "as it was intended." The idea of transparency seems to me like the Platonic Ideal of a headphone-- there's only one thing an Ideal Headphone can be-- Transparent!-- and any headphone that attains that Ideal ceases to be unique. All headphones that are Ideal/Transparent sound exactly the same.

Yeah, I realize that's probably not a very good interpretation of Platonic Idealism, but I don't remember / never understood in the first place what I learned in that philosophy class many years ago.

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #4,527 of 5,077
Anyone know aboyt an cable that would work with the dragonfly black and samsung s9+? ( usb c )
SmartSelect_20180812-162301_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Just bought that cable and work perfect with my s9+

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #4,529 of 5,077
Is this the DragonFly Red supposed to be on the quieter side? IEMs used are Westone W20s or NuForce x Massdrop EDC3.

ve not yet managed to compare phone -> IEMs vs. phone -> DragonFly Red -> IEMs, but it definitely does not get anywhere near as loud as I'd expect. It's kind-of loud enough to use when walking in the streets without too much distractions, but that's it. Hence it's not an issue, but it's still a little weird.

Setup:
Motorola Moto G5 -> Spotify -> Dragonfly Red, driver v.1.06.

(NOTE: I just updated the driver to v.1.07, we'll see if that fixes it...)
(Update: that did seem to do the trick! It's uncomfortably loud at less than half volume with the new update. I also, for the first time and don't ask why, did an A/B testing of straight from phone vs. DRFR... there's definitely way more body with the Red and the sound is just a little more coherent)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #4,530 of 5,077
... snipped ...

Setup:
Motorola Moto G5 -> Spotify -> Dragonfly Red, driver v.1.06.

(NOTE: I just updated the driver to v.1.07, we'll see if that fixes it...)
(Update: that did seem to do the trick! It's uncomfortably loud at less than half volume with the new update. I also, for the first time and don't ask why, did an A/B testing of straight from phone vs. DRFR... there's definitely way more body with the Red and the sound is just a little more coherent)

So you have a DFR hooked up to your Moto G5 with a USB-OTG cable (?) and you are able to listen to music streamed through the Spotify app? With no pops, clicks, skips, or other artifacts in the music? Can you do the same with files downloaded from Spotify to your G5 played through the Spotify app? Can you do this with downloads stored on the SD card? Thanks! (sorry for all the questions - I'm just desperate for a decent, reasonably priced and reasonably practical GOOD listening device)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back