New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #1,231 of 1,588
Quote:
To my ears, the M100 seems to extend the same but they have so much better quality than the D600s... If the M100s had the level of comfort of the D600s, they would have been great!!!

Still, the D600s are Ok headphones.
Are they great sounding headphones (better than the D600s) at better prices? Yes... So if someone is looking for Denon because they plainly like Denon, I can see the D600s being a good option! Other than that...

Would like to try out some M100s, sadly they are not available in Sweden. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #1,232 of 1,588
Quote:
To my ears, the M100 seems to extend the same but they have so much better quality than the D600s... If the M100s had the level of comfort of the D600s, they would have been great!!!

Still, the D600s are Ok headphones.
Are they great sounding headphones (better than the D600s) at better prices? Yes... So if someone is looking for Denon because they plainly like Denon, I can see the D600s being a good option! Other than that...

Well, I wasn't specifically looking at denon. I wanted something closed, good isolation, and really good sound quality. I've tried a few over the past year or so. Until the d600 arrived, the best thing I tried that fitted most of those parameters were the t70. But the only glaring flaw they had was just too glaring to over come, and nothing I tried seem to help it. So after trying a few others and being disappointed, I was tempted to repurchase the t70s again, and maybe have martin to make me some deeper cups for them in order to try to increase the bass response. Then as a hail marry attempt, I tried the d600. And they have answered the bell on everything I wanted. The only other midfi closed can I'm interested in at this point are the momentums.

The m100s are just a weird sounding can to me. And I didn't like them at all. But everybodys ears are different. I rarely agree with the reviews over at headphonia, but they nailed it in the m100 review. And they are a site that rarely give negative reviews. The fact I can go from my jh13, he-6, and w3000anv to the d600; and still be able to enjoy them speak volumes in my book. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #1,233 of 1,588
Quote:

Well, I wasn't specifically looking at denon. I wanted something closed, good isolation, and really good sound quality. I've tried a few over the past year or so. Until the d600 arrived, the best thing I tried that fitted most of those parameters were the t70. But the only glaring flaw they had was just too glaring to over come, and nothing I tried seem to help it. So after trying a few others and being disappointed, I was tempted to repurchase the t70s again, and maybe have martin to make me some deeper cups for them in order to try to increase the bass response. Then as a hail marry attempt, I tried the d600. And they have answered the bell on everything I wanted. The only other midfi closed can I'm interested in at this point are the momentums.

The m100s are just a weird sounding can to me. And I didn't like them at all. But everybodys ears are different. I rarely agree with the reviews over at headphonia, but they nailed it in the m100 review. And they are a site that rarely give negative reviews. The fact I can go from my jh13, he-6, and w3000anv to the d600; and still be able to enjoy them speak volumes in my book. 

I don't think I've read headfonia's review, but the M100s to me were very good sounding with the exception of the little recessed Mids and the awful comfort factor! I just cannot stand a headphone I cannot wear for more than 1 hour, heck half hour...

But yup, the D600s are enjoyable indeed, and in the end all that matters is that you do enjoy them and make your toes start tapping as a natural response! :p

If you are still in the "let's see what else it's out there" phase, you could also look into the Sony MDR-1Rs and my current faves, the Mad Dogs.

I put up a couple of thoughts on: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633696/the-mad-dog-appreciation-thread#post_8957108

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #1,235 of 1,588
Well, I work on a cubicle environment, right now a group of 3 are talking right beside me and I can't hear Schiit from them... (using Cowon C2 --> Schiit Magni amp --> 12'o clock volume.)

Leakeage is minimal too.
I would say it's definitely comparable to the D600s (unlike using the old Denon D5000s which leaked and isolation was not the best)

P.S. The Mad Dogs LIKE their Juice btw...

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,236 of 1,588
I read your impressions. You put the md behind the d5000. I actually like the d600 better than the d5000. Also you put the d600 way down on your list, even behind the v100 which is vastly inferior imo. So it looks as if we hear things way different. But I may still try out the md.

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,237 of 1,588
I read your impressions. You put the md behind the d5000. I actually like the d600 better than the d5000. Also you put the d600 way down on your list, even behind the v100 which is vastly inferior imo. So it looks as if we hear things way different. But I may still try out the md.

I got to hear the mad dogs last weekend. They are a very smooth easy listen with good (but not very tight or deep) bass, wonderful mids, and gentle treble. Very HD 650ish actually - to my ears. My main complaint was that its a little too flat and boring for my taste.

It is a very nice headphone for the money though. Very similar to the LCD2 and HE500 in basic presentation.

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,238 of 1,588
Quote:
everyone is like, "OMG these look terrible therefore they must sound bad" blah blah blah

Before these were released (and just product pics were released) there indeed was some people adamantly for or against the styling of these headphones. The comments about the sound quality came from people who heard/owned these. This is statement without backing. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #1,239 of 1,588
Quote:
Before these were released (and just product pics were released) there indeed was some people adamantly for or against the styling of these headphones. The comments about the sound quality came from people who heard/owned these. This is statement without backing. 

I frequent all the Denon threads on head-fi and have seen some people at least imply what I said. And no judging a headphone based on 15 minutes at a noisy store/meet with other open headphones leaking sound all over the place is not ideal. Most actual owners find them pretty good, at least not as bad as early impressions with said conditions made them out to be. Still sometimes here and there I see crap being thrown on how *ugly* the new Denons are and how their sound quality match their design. which really annoys me.

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #1,240 of 1,588
The sad truth is, he's right. Over on another forum there are comments like "these look horrible, they must sound bad". And they were serious. There's nothing wrong with listening to them and not liking them. But it's very sad when you say a headphone sounds bad based on how it looks. It's so ridiculous, it's actually funny.

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #1,241 of 1,588
To me there faults over the older line are the bass quality and air- the D5000/7000 had better 3D presentation and very deep bass (too much with some amps and sources that exaggerated it). D600 are very nice though but ultimately I need more isolation (better than the D5/7 series but a bit behind the K550 which I now own). I did love the comfort though.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #1,242 of 1,588
Quote:

Yup, but it's all about the use of the product for me though. I did put the D5000 before the MDs because they have the same level of comfort, they have more "air" and their soundstage is a bit more open-like but it's not like the D5000 is 10 times better than the MDs or the D600s, etc. It also depends on the genres one listens to. To me the D600s suffer GREATLY when you put up mid-centric and vocal based music. It just doesn't have the forwardness these genres crave (and the same thing happens to the M100s to a lesser extent but the M100s do better on the highs...).

But like you said, everyone hears differently.

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #1,243 of 1,588
the 7100s  price is now £450 in uk ,half tempted to give them a try ,having read the thread not sure what to expect but i know i love my d2000s my hope would be bigger soundstage  even smoother highs and even better bass 

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #1,244 of 1,588
Hey all, 

I currently have another thread open, but I figured I'd post in this thread as well since I have some specific questions about the d600. I'm in the process of looking for new headphones and am currently leaning towards the beyer dt880 250 ohm. I've read some negative, but mostly positive reviews for the d600 in comparison to both the d2000 and the d5000. Some people seem to hate them and others seem to like them more than even the d5000. I am wondering how they compare to the dt880 (couldn't find anything). I listen to a little bit of everything with most of my music probably being alternative. I prefer tight/punchy bass vs bloated or a muddy sound. Overall I am looking for a very *clear* sound with a lot of detail/depth. I don't want to rehash too much from my other thread so I'll just leave it at that.

I can pick up the dt880 for $250 (270 w/ tax) vs the d600 for 340.

Thanks

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #1,245 of 1,588
Quote:
Hey all, 

I currently have another thread open, but I figured I'd post in this thread as well since I have some specific questions about the d600. I'm in the process of looking for new headphones and am currently leaning towards the beyer dt880 250 ohm. I've read some negative, but mostly positive reviews for the d600 in comparison to both the d2000 and the d5000. Some people seem to hate them and others seem to like them more than even the d5000. I am wondering how they compare to the dt880 (couldn't find anything). I listen to a little bit of everything with most of my music probably being alternative. I prefer tight/punchy bass vs bloated or a muddy sound. Overall I am looking for a very *clear* sound with a lot of detail/depth. I don't want to rehash too much from my other thread so I'll just leave it at that.

I can pick up the dt880 for $250 (270 w/ tax) vs the d600 for 340.

Thanks

The d600 is such a polarizing headphone. In some ways (clarity, speed, detail, openness, comfort, isolation) they are great closed-back cans and perform on par with the price. Unfortunately, listening to my Sennheiser Momentum reveals the D600 as being a bit boomy in the bass, a bit recessed/suffocated, thin and grainy in the midrange and a bit uneven in the treble. 

This didn't bother me before but with Momentum in the house, my positive impression of the D600 has gone a bit cold :frowning2: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back