New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #841 of 1,588
I have another set of D7100s I've been listening to this morning. Compared to the set I heard the other week, these sound better (and no, it's not burn-in related: these are fresh out of the box). They don't sound muddy, and the highs are definitely more present. However the bass is still way, way too emphasized. As a result I find they lack any sort of immersive quality. These are definitely not well suited for analytic or detailed listening in my humble opinion.

It's like trying to read a manuscript in a wind tunnel. I feel like these are literally blasting the music at me, and its too much of a frontal assault on the senses for me to appreciate much else. For instance, spatially these actually aren't that bad. They have a fairly roomy sound, BUT you need to EQ the bass away to be able to even notice it I find.

I honestly have no idea why these sound better than the other set. Product variation? Just a really bad synergistic match? Losing my mind?

Oh, and these are also pretty awkward for me to wear. My head isn't small by women's standards, but I'm finding these barely fit (ie: they're too big) even on the smallest adjustment setting. The angle of the cups is also problematic for me.

These are way overpriced in my humble opinion. If the D600 however sounds like this but with less bass emphasis, then I'd say those would be more reasonable.

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #845 of 1,588
For me it's:

That vocals are really razor ssssssssharp. Shure 940 users beware. Like a SSSSSSKIYEEE SSSSS-raper (phun intended). I usually find if the headphone can handle this, sibilance won't be an issue.

This is also another track which has quite painful synth later on (typical of this artist which I think his hearing might be a bit damaged is my guess as the synth is usually quite treblehappy):

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #847 of 1,588
I'm not sure about the difference between sub-bass and mid-bass. Can someone provide examples?

or maybe just tell me what kind of bass is prominent in this track

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #851 of 1,588
Quote:
I'm not sure about the difference between sub-bass and mid-bass. Can someone provide examples?

or maybe just tell me what kind of bass is prominent in this track

The "thumping" bassline is midbass and the more onenote bassline sounds to be also midbass but it's fairly close to be called subbass I'd say, it's used as subbass usually is though which isn't the most common from my guess around 100Hz. Subbass I'd say is 80Hz and lower and "rumbles" opposed to midbass which "punches", especially for electronica this is a very simplified explanation. Midbass has stronger impact and is snappier, subbass is slower & softer in the attack, subbass never "slam" you, it more gently rubs your ears. :p Most electronic genres use a bit of both in the tracks, very seldom only either of them are present.

Here's 2 videos I usually take as examples on this as they are the perfect examples of midbass vs subbass:

Midbass, typically used in many techno/trance tracks (the tumping bassline):

Subbass (the constant low-humming from 0:31 sec and forward but occasionally it goes up to like 100Hz for a few secs which is the midbass range already, the "thumping" bassbeat is midbass though, only the very low-frequency is subbass):

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #852 of 1,588
I went out today hoping to listen to a few pairs of closed headphones.   I live in the philly burbs so I tried world wide stereo in Ardmore since they have a ton of headphones on their website.  I went mainly to audition the Denon D600 and the AKG-K550 unfortunately they had neither in the store (even though both are on their website).  I ended up trying the PSB headhones, Kilpsh, and reluctently one version of monster beats. The beats stayed on my head for less than 30 seconds.   I liked the PSB but they seemed a little big for my head but before buying I really wanted to try the Denon and AKG.   At one point the saleman brough over  pair of Grado PS500 which I absolutely loved, if they were closed I would have bought them on the spot.

2 questions, anyone know where else in the Philly burbs I could audition headphones, also are there any closed headphones like the Grado PS500?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mike  

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #853 of 1,588
Quote:
 are there any closed headphones like the Grado PS500?  

Mike  

Might want to search for the Grado appreciation thread for that info.

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #855 of 1,588
Quote:
I went out today hoping to listen to a few pairs of closed headphones.   I live in the philly burbs so I tried world wide stereo in Ardmore since they have a ton of headphones on their website.  I went mainly to audition the Denon D600 and the AKG-K550 unfortunately they had neither in the store (even though both are on their website).  I ended up trying the PSB headhones, Kilpsh, and reluctently one version of monster beats. The beats stayed on my head for less than 30 seconds.   I liked the PSB but they seemed a little big for my head but before buying I really wanted to try the Denon and AKG.   At one point the saleman brough over  pair of Grado PS500 which I absolutely loved, if they were closed I would have bought them on the spot.

2 questions, anyone know where else in the Philly burbs I could audition headphones, also are there any closed headphones like the Grado PS500?

Mike  

Best Buy has the K550 in Magnolia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back