New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #826 of 1,588
Quote:

That was an initial limited time deal, they are back up to $499. now: 

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/denon-ah-d600.html

Not that I care much(will wait for $300-350 deal) but those guys are funny-their super awesome sale ended just before the labor day weekend when a lot of retailers will offer good deals and buyers will open their wallets a bit
rolleyes.gif

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #827 of 1,588
Are there any educated guesses about when (if?) these headphones will come down on the street about 40% - 50% from retail like the previous generation did?

I bought my D7000's for $575 last January, and my daughter's D2000's for $200 last April, which seemed to be the going rates for a while.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #828 of 1,588
Are the D600 worth getting or should i consider some other pair? Becuase there's a special offer here in Denmark, which takes 20% of the price, but it's only this weekend. I've tried them and thought they were really nice, but since i'm very new to "high-end" audio, i don't really have much experience or knowledge on the subject :)

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #829 of 1,588
Are the D600 worth getting or should i consider some other pair? Becuase there's a special offer here in Denmark, which takes 20% of the price, but it's only this weekend. I've tried them and thought they were really nice, but since i'm very new to "high-end" audio, i don't really have much experience or knowledge on the subject :)

from three models available they are the only one worth getting while D400 are garbage and D7100 are too overpriced

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #830 of 1,588
Quote:

If you are not a basshead, but do like some extra mid bass and are looking for one of the best sounding portables out there IMO, get them.  I feel they have more detailed mids and cleaner highs than any other over-ear portable in their price range (comparing to Amperior*, M4U2, K550)

*supra-aural

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #831 of 1,588
Quote:
from three models available they are the only one worth getting while D400 are garbage and D7100 are too overpriced

I must agree on the D400. I tried them and they were just so bad. Denon, please!
Quote:
If you are not a basshead, but do like some extra mid bass and are looking for one of the best sounding portables out there IMO, get them.  I feel they have more detailed mids and cleaner highs than any other over-ear portable in their price range (comparing to Amperior, M4U2, K550)

Nice, just what i wanted to hear :wink: I'll get myself a pair tomorrow, can't wait!

Aug 31, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #832 of 1,588
I can't wait to compare the D600 to the Sennheiser Momentum.  Sennheiser did an amazing job keeping it hush-hush.  Their marketing strategy is 180 degrees from V-Moda.  Denon seems to take a middle-ground approach to product announcement- one or two months in advance, then they actually come out when they say they will, so kudos to Denon for that.

It looks like Sennheiser is addressing the growing market for audiophile-grade closed portables.

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #833 of 1,588
I do agree too many posts were trimmed... its kinda annoying because it looks some interesting critical debates that are now half missing, and I really would like to read them from an objective point of view.

on topic, I do think that the D600 could have a ton of room for modding.

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #834 of 1,588
Quote:
I do agree too many posts were trimmed... its kinda annoying because it looks some interesting critical debates that are now half missing, and I really would like to read them from an objective point of view.

on topic, I do think that the D600 could have a ton of room for modding.

I haven't finished un-pruning, as I'm just slammed at work right now. It won't be a total un-deleting, though, and, as a result, there may still be some sense of disjointedness.

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #835 of 1,588
I know this is an appreciation thread (I read you loud and clear Lorspeaker 
bigsmile_face.gif
 ) but I pulled the trigger on some D7100s and I wanted to post my impressions here. This is the main thread that I read before buying them so, for those like me, I thought it would be good to get another semi-review in here.

Quick setup: I owned and loved the D7000 before my LCD-2's came along. Equipment used for evaluation was a Marantz SA8004 feeding a KICAS Caliente amp.

For those of you looking for the short version, I was very disappointed in these headphones and I don't feel that they're in the class of $1,000+ cans. Now the explanation.

First thing I've gotta address is the bass. Wow do these things go low and hit HARD. Outside of playing with the Digizoid Zo I've never experienced anything like it. I love my bass and I'm always craving more but not here. This was plenty. In fact, coming out of my Caliente (boosted low end) I found it to be overwhelming. Outside of the Zo, this was really a first for me. So while I was happy that it went deep with authority, I was thinking that I'd like it to be scaled back. Other pluses include comfort (not HD800 or anything but very nice), a nice 1/4" plug that was very smooth to plug in (much moreso than my LCD-2) and a great box that's great for storage and comes with some very nice accessories.

Unfortunately now it's on to the negatives. One is that I found the soundstage to be distractingly small. It felt like it was the size of a tennis ball right between my eyes. And sometimes it sounded very hollow, like it was listening in a cave. I compared with my Beyer DT770 and the Beyers had a wider left to right soundstage. It was very surprising. I also noticed that the headphone was smooth on the top end to a fault. There's a track I use to test sibilance with a female vocal that has lots of 's' sounds. I've heard this on various headphones from just toeing the line before being sharp to being a nightmare that feels like it's piercing you while you listen. This is the first headphone that I've heard where that song had zero sharpness on the 's' sounds. Like, not even close. As I listened more intently, I noticed that it was almost like she wasn't fully singing the 's' sound, like she had cut off the very last part of it. As much as I love a laid back sound (sparkle and bright are not for me) I found that I was missing the detail in there even if it came with a touch of sharpness.

When I switched from the Denons back to the LCD-2 it was amazing how much more was there. Detail, spacial separation, overall soundstage size... it shocked me every time. I don't remember the D7000 well enough from memory to say how it compares to the 7100, unfortunately, but I will say this: I do remember the 7000 having a smaller soundstage than the LCD-2 when I first got it but I don't ever remember feeling as surprised as this.

I know that the LCD-2 isn't the perfect headphone and it's not everyone's cup of tea. But still, based on the degree of differences I observed between the two, I'd caution anyone to try to audition the 7100 before purchasing or to take advantage of a trial period/return policy. In the end I don't think it stacks up well against its $1,000+ brethren.

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #837 of 1,588
Quote:

Interesting comments. Any chance you'll reveal this super top secret track?

Oh, just use Tequila Sunrise from 'Hell Freezes Over'.

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #838 of 1,588
Havent really spent enough time listening to different music on these D600s, but so far I am loving the upgrade from the HD650s. Bass is much stronger, it just vibrates and surrounds me. The sound seems very smooth and the highs can really sing and come alive.

Ambient electronic is really lovely. Right now Im listening to Solar Fields - Random Friday and really loving it. Wish I could keep these on my head all the time :)

Try this song:

Im listening to these using a WA6 amp, which isn't supposed to be ideal for these according to some people here so I might get a SS amp.

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #840 of 1,588
Impressions about the new Denons seem to differ greatly - about the sibilance issue for example, for me there certainly is plenty of treble, albeit only in the 8-10 kHz range (the rest is subdued). This peak causes exaggerated sibilance quite often.
Also, regarding the soundstage: While some people have reported a very small soundstage, others (including me) experience a rather open/large soundstage. Either there are strong product variations or it's just individual hearing that causes these differences in perception.

Also, I've finished my review for the D7100:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/denon-ah-d7100-music-maniac/reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Back