New CEntrance DACportable dac-amp
Nov 14, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #47 of 101
Hello DACportable friends, 

Nothing substantive yet as I just received mine in the mail today (finally). I'm going to be comparing it to my Chord Mojo over the next few days as well as my FiiO E17 (cheap, I know, but I love the little thing for it's musicality). Anyway, a photo to show the size until I get going with the testing...

The dog approves :)

-Collin-

Nov 14, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #48 of 101
ExpatinJapan, soundwise, how does DACportable compare to mini-hifi M8? Thanks.

Sorry, I missed this.

Both have the CEntrance in house sound. It basically comes down what you intend to use it for.

Functions are slightly different.

And size is different.

Each sound great.

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #49 of 101
I have the Centrance HiFi-M8, as well as the HiFi-Skyn iPhone case which the Dacportable was based on (same AK4490 DAC and "AmpExtreme" amp). I agree with @ExpatinJapan that they both have a similar Centrance house sound. Not surprising given they're based on similar technology (AmpExtreme is a evolution of the Amp circuitry that Centrance developed for the HiFi-M8/Mini-M8, and although Centrance never confirmed exactly what DAC was in the M8s, I recall Centrance confirmed in one of the threads somewhere that it was an AKM based DAC chip). 

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #50 of 101
My coworker just got the portable after I convinced him by listening to my slim. He just got it in over the weekend, and I was wondering how people have it set up when listening from their laptop? I know the charging port is purely power for the battery, but does the data port truly not let any power in to the dac and amp? I was thinking that it would make more sense if you could toggle whether or not you are pulling in power from the source, that way if plugged into a laptop you can use it to power the dac and amp, but if you are using it with a mobile device then yes use the battery. It seems a little crazy that you'd have to keep charging the battery if you wanted to use it simply plugged it into your computer at work. The battery life is solid, so it's not like you'd be charging the battery constantly, but still. He can plug it into his computer, then have another usb plugged into the charger port that way it stays charged, but that seems a little clunky. 

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #51 of 101
  My coworker just got the portable after I convinced him by listening to my slim. He just got it in over the weekend, and I was wondering how people have it set up when listening from their laptop? I know the charging port is purely power for the battery, but does the data port truly not let any power in to the dac and amp? I was thinking that it would make more sense if you could toggle whether or not you are pulling in power from the source, that way if plugged into a laptop you can use it to power the dac and amp, but if you are using it with a mobile device then yes use the battery. It seems a little crazy that you'd have to keep charging the battery if you wanted to use it simply plugged it into your computer at work. The battery life is solid, so it's not like you'd be charging the battery constantly, but still. He can plug it into his computer, then have another usb plugged into the charger port that way it stays charged, but that seems a little clunky. 

I wonder about this too! I don't have a good answer yet as I really haven't gotten much time to play with mine, but I think your understanding is correct: no power/charging through the data port. 

For me, this makes it pretty clunky to use at work. I was planning on using it stationary at my desk (despite its portable name) and this requires two micro USB cables in use at all times really. One to charge, one for data. Not ideal and for that reason I may stick to my trusty E17 which charges and plays through one mini-USB. First world problems though really :)

-Collin-

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #53 of 101

I wonder about this too! I don't have a good answer yet as I really haven't gotten much time to play with mine, but I think your understanding is correct: no power/charging through the data port. 

For me, this makes it pretty clunky to use at work. I was planning on using it stationary at my desk (despite its portable name) and this requires two micro USB cables in use at all times really. One to charge, one for data. Not ideal and for that reason I may stick to my trusty E17 which charges and plays through one mini-USB. First world problems though really :)

-Collin-

Ya, I wonder if it could be something that a firmware update could add in the future if enough people ask about it? My coworker, and myself, saw it as a perfect laptop bag dac: great for commuting/traveling/OOO with mobile phone or laptop, and great for nondescript [bring-your-own-dac] use at work sitting on desk. I honestly still think it is, I mean, who wouldn't want to be "forced" to use a very clean battery power source all the time, like you say "first world problems" haha. Still though, seems like a pretty identifiable use case for allowing power to flow through the data port IF the user so desires. 

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #54 of 101
Just received it a couple days ago... what's the recommended setting for line out to an amp? Max vol. at low gain?

Nov 19, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #55 of 101

Nothing substantive yet as I just received mine in the mail today (finally). I'm going to be comparing it to my Chord Mojo over the next few days as well as my FiiO E17 (cheap, I know, but I love the little thing for it's musicality). Anyway, a photo to show the size until I get going with the testing...

-Collin-

Your Corgi needs smaller slippers. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #56 of 101
  Your Corgi needs smaller slippers. 
biggrin.gif

Ha! 

Every time I try for some serious listening, it seems that he sees a squirrel or something and makes a racket. Serious listening and Corgis are not a good mix. Especially with open headphones. 

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #57 of 101
I would like to ask if someone try combination  CEntrance DACportable plus earphones with remote control and microphone, on mobile phone? It's possible to make it work (ability to receive calls and keep a phone conversation through CEntrance DACportable)?

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #58 of 101
The dacportable is just a dac/amp. Remote control and mic should not work. Unless someone proves me wrong, of course.

But I'm 99% sure it doesn't work.

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #59 of 101

-Collin-

SeeSax, i really look forward to your comparison of DACportable with Chord Mojo. I need help to make the choice as price is not very different but i like DACportable form factor and options. Please help!

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #60 of 101
  SeeSax, i really look forward to your comparison of DACportable with Chord Mojo. I need help to make the choice as price is not very different but i like DACportable form factor and options. Please help!

I still haven't done any formal comparisons, but I can share a few thoughts. For one thing, price was three times higher for me for the Mojo than the DACportable. For that price difference, I would have no problem using the DACportable over the Mojo. If, however, the prices are similar ($350 vs. $450 for example) then I would choose the Mojo. 

For me, the Mojo has a more engaging, livelier sound that is more fun to listen to. The DACportable has a very smooth, relaxed and pleasant sound that is an easy listen. There's not a difference in sound quality for me, but rather just different presentations. I DACportable may be a bit more flexible given the bass/treble boosts and low/high gain functions, but I haven't ever needed those on the Mojo. It has just worked out of the box. 

Form factor will be personal preference but I can see how you may prefer the DACportable. They don't feel too different to carry around, but as you know the Mojo is a small square and the DACportable is more of a slim rectangle. I cannot compare battery life as I use both of these plugged into a laptop. They both have the annoying problem of not being able to charge through the data port, so both will require two USB cables for desktop use. 

Overall, I would have no problems recommending either. Mojo has a huge following, as you know, and you really could never go wrong with it. The DACportable offers better value, more options and a slightly preferable form factor for on-the-go use. If prices were similar, I would still choose the Mojo as I prefer it's livelier, more engaging and fun sound signature. Hope this helps for you. 

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back