New CEntrance DACportable dac-amp
Dec 24, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #63 of 101

My DACportable just arrived yesterday, just in time for Christmas.:wink: I have low expectation at first (as I already owned Mojo), but ended up quite impressed. At $349, this is definitey a good buy. :)

The build quality is excellent, although the recessed gain switch (and bass/treble boost) is kinda annoying as I have to reach a toothpick each time I want to change it. The design is also quite a bit (sorry) ugly, I think it can be designed to be a bit better looking. Size is small, so easy to carry around, but not really pocket friendly due to thickness.

But what more important for us is sound quality and man..., this small DAC/Amp sure deliver! Mojo is still smoother sounding overall, but this is getting close. Separation is even a bit better, with excellent extension from bottom to top. Doesn't mean it beats Mojo overall, but I think they are at the same level, regardless of price point. The bass and treble boost is a nice addition, I think I'll find it uses with some of my headphones. Still had to do more tests, but in my short time of it, I'm impressed. Worth the long wait. :)

Oh right, it's dead silent with my U12, which is kinda sensitive but not the most sensitive IEM out there. Still a quite accomplishment, as not many amp can get silent to this level.

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #64 of 101

My DACportable just arrived yesterday, just in time for Christmas.
wink.gif
I have low expectation at first (as I already owned Mojo), but ended up quite impressed. At $349, this is definitey a good buy.
smily_headphones1.gif

The build quality is excellent, although the recessed gain switch (and bass/treble boost) is kinda annoying as I have to reach a toothpick each time I want to change it. The design is also quite a bit (sorry) ugly, I think it can be designed to be a bit better looking. Size is small, so easy to carry around, but not really pocket friendly due to thickness.

But what more important for us is sound quality and man..., this small DAC/Amp sure deliver! Mojo is still smoother sounding overall, but this is getting close. Separation is even a bit better, with excellent extension from bottom to top. Doesn't mean it beats Mojo overall, but I think they are at the same level, regardless of price point. The bass and treble boost is a nice addition, I think I'll find it uses with some of my headphones. Still had to do more tests, but in my short time of it, I'm impressed. Worth the long wait.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh right, it's dead silent with my U12, which is kinda sensitive but not the most sensitive IEM out there. Still a quite accomplishment, as not many amp can get silent to this level.

Very nice first impressions. I agree on the build quality, though mine does not have smooth edges. On part of it, there is a noticeable area where the top plate and body come together that is not flush at all and one side sticks out. Sort of disappointing but all else is fine. 

As for the sound, believe it or not, I find the opposite to a certain extend. I find the DACportable ultra smooth and definitely more so than the Mojo. Where I find the Mojo has power and authority, the DACportable is a bit "laid back" in my view. Not saying you're wrong and everyone's gear and ears are different, but I find it to be the smoothest source I have. Definitely smoother than my LG V20 with an ESS Sabre DAC. I'll do some more A/B testing to confirm and will report back on my findings. 

Either way, for the campaign price of $199 I paid, this was a no-brainer. Although, I find it redundant with my Chord Mojo. I'll keep both because you can never have too much gear, right?

-Collin-

Dec 25, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #65 of 101
Very nice first impressions. I agree on the build quality, though mine does not have smooth edges. On part of it, there is a noticeable area where the top plate and body come together that is not flush at all and one side sticks out. Sort of disappointing but all else is fine. 

As for the sound, believe it or not, I find the opposite to a certain extend. I find the DACportable ultra smooth and definitely more so than the Mojo. Where I find the Mojo has power and authority, the DACportable is a bit "laid back" in my view. Not saying you're wrong and everyone's gear and ears are different, but I find it to be the smoothest source I have. Definitely smoother than my LG V20 with an ESS Sabre DAC. I'll do some more A/B testing to confirm and will report back on my findings. 

Either way, for the campaign price of $199 I paid, this was a no-brainer. Although, I find it redundant with my Chord Mojo. I'll keep both because you can never have too much gear, right?

-Collin-

I just noticed what you mean. Yeah, the top plate and body is not flush together. Not sure if that is intentional or not, one positive thing about that is it obstruct the volume control a bit, could prevent accidental volume change I guess.

I agree that DACportable is a bit laid back, Mojo is more forward and have more presence. DACportable sounds a bit spread out. I still think Mojo to be a bit smoother in rendering details, but both are on the smooth end for sure, none of them is harsh nor grainy. I think both are equally capable, just have a different kind of presentation. And yeah, sounds impression is very subjective, what I hear and perceive might be different than others, so always take my sounds impression with a grain of salt. Haha :wink:

$199 is a no-brainer, I paid $289 (+ charger perks) as I joined a bit late. Even at $349, it is still a good value. Too bad it is a bit underrated, not many know this exists. The naming (DACportable, really?) is not helping too, as it is too close to both DACport and DACport HD, with the same design too. I have difficulty explaining this thing, as some that didn't know just perceive it as the regular DACport. :D

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #66 of 101
Has anyone compared the Dacportable with the newer Oppo HA-2se? Since I have never used a battery operated DAC/AMP (only have the Dacport Slim atm) , Do the OPPO and the Chord Mojo also have to be run off battery always like the Dacportable? I'm just asking because I would be using it at my desk as my main dac when not commuting to work. Also, I bounce back and forth from the AKG K7XX and the Master & Dynamic MH40 and was wondering which of the three would work best with those headphones. I normally listen to Latin music ( Merengue, Salsa, Bachata & Cumbia), Classic Rock, Funk, and EDM. Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #67 of 101
  Has anyone compared the Dacportable with the newer Oppo HA-2se? Since I have never used a battery operated DAC/AMP (only have the Dacport Slim atm) , Do the OPPO and the Chord Mojo also have to be run off battery always like the Dacportable? I'm just asking because I would be using it at my desk as my main dac when not commuting to work. Also, I bounce back and forth from the AKG K7XX and the Master & Dynamic MH40 and was wondering which of the three would work best with those headphones. I normally listen to Latin music ( Merengue, Salsa, Bachata & Cumbia), Classic Rock, Funk, and EDM. Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.

The DACs you mentioned have to be run only off the battery? My DACportable is happily stationary at my desk plugged into one USB port for power and one USB port for the signal. I believe the Mojo will work the same way, right? I have the Mojo, though I am not sure if I ever tried it connected to power. I can at least confirm the DACportable is perfectly happy running while charging, but I'll have to test the Mojo for you and get back to you. No issues here, loving the DACportable for desktop use. Though I've listed it for sale since it's very redundant with a bunch of other DACs I have. 

-Collin-

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #68 of 101
I'm sorry. What I meant was, is there no way to use only one cable with any of these three DACs while on a desktop? Like can it pull power from the data cable if plugged into a desktop? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if always charging the battery on the Dacportable (or the other two dacs) will degrade the Battery over time.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #69 of 101
  I'm sorry. What I meant was, is there no way to use only one cable with any of these three DACs while on a desktop? Like can it pull power from the data cable if plugged into a desktop? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if always charging the battery on the Dacportable (or the other two dacs) will degrade the Battery over time.

Oh I understand now. The DACportable will not charge via the data port. Two USB cables isn't that big of a deal right? Just get a hub or something :)

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #73 of 101
The DACportable remains a real under-the-radar gem. I do wish the form factor was wider and thinner to make it more pocketable, though. Sounds amazing for the price.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #75 of 101

Oh I understand now. The DACportable will not charge via the data port. Two USB cables isn't that big of a deal right? Just get a hub or something :)

Shouldn't be a problem. LOL Thanks again, See Sax. From Slim to Portable. Can't wait to see the difference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back