New CEntrance DACportable dac-amp
Jul 15, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #91 of 101
Yeah, I'm rocking my Onkyo Granbeat for DAP to take around. I only used the DACportable and the BlueDAC in home, connected to full size headphone. :)

I totally understand the need to use plastic in BlueDAC, they are necessary for the wireless transmition. But their decision to 3d printing the case is... unfortunate. If you ever hold it in hand, it feels rough and cheap. It's such a departure from the smooth finish of DACportable.

Jul 15, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #92 of 101
Yeah, I'm rocking my Onkyo Granbeat for DAP to take around. I only used the DACportable and the BlueDAC in home, connected to full size headphone. :)

I totally understand the need to use plastic in BlueDAC, they are necessary for the wireless transmition. But their decision to 3d printing the case is... unfortunate. If you ever hold it in hand, it feels rough and cheap. It's such a departure from the smooth finish of DACportable.
Damn, the BlueDac definitely looked cheap compared to their earlier products. I always thought they should outsource the exterior design of their products and just handle the engineering aspects of the innards.

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #93 of 101

how does the Dacportable and the Bluedac compare in sound? with both of them wired and comparing the dacportable and the bluedac's bluetooth sound?

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #94 of 101
how does the Dacportable and the Bluedac compare in sound? with both of them wired and comparing the dacportable and the bluedac's bluetooth sound?

I think using wired, the DACportable is still better. It is more powerful, have separate charging connector (so you can use it while charging) and even have some customization with bass and treble.

Sound-wise, I always find the BlueDAC to somehow not sounding as linear as DACportable, perhaps in the lower-mid area. I'm not really sure, looks like it's a bit of dip there which in turn emphasis the higher-mid, and could make it sound harsh some time. I first perceive it as being "clearer", but other time sound "harsh". Male vocal in particular, sound a bit thinner here. In the end, I prefer DACportable more linear response.

That said, I haven't really compared them both head to head for quite a long time. If you are interested, let me know and I'll find some time with both again. :)

Another way of using BlueDAC that I like is to connect it wired to my Mac and Bluetooth to my phone. When I felt distracted by some cat video on my phone, I simply switch it to Bluetooth out and without taking out my headphone, I can listen to my phone audio. After an hour of that - time to get back to work - I simply switch it back to USB out and get the audio from my Mac again. All without having to take off my headphone, and no need to adjust the volume either. :wink:

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #95 of 101
I think using wired, the DACportable is still better. It is more powerful, have separate charging connector (so you can use it while charging) and even have some customization with bass and treble.

Sound-wise, I always find the BlueDAC to somehow not sounding as linear as DACportable, perhaps in the lower-mid area. I'm not really sure, looks like it's a bit of dip there which in turn emphasis the higher-mid, and could make it sound harsh some time. I first perceive it as being "clearer", but other time sound "harsh". Male vocal in particular, sound a bit thinner here. In the end, I prefer DACportable more linear response.

Another way of using BlueDAC that I like is to connect it wired to my Mac and Bluetooth to my phone. When I felt distracted by some cat video on my phone, I simply switch it to Bluetooth out and without taking out my headphone, I can listen to my phone audio. After an hour of that - time to get back to work - I simply switch it back to USB out and get the audio from my Mac again. All without having to take off my headphone, and no need to adjust the volume either. :wink:

thanks man! I'm curious because the bluedac is the only centrance product that I've heard, and compared to auditioning the xdsd and also to my DFR, the bluedac sounds crisper and more detailed (hence, i immediately went on a bluedac hunt and got it). and you're right, it does have that lowmid scoop that makes the sound seems more spaced and clearer, which is the sound i like. but i am intrigued by the dacportable's metal build and tonal switches.

That said, I haven't really compared them both head to head for quite a long time. If you are interested, let me know and I'll find some time with both again. :)

i sure am! thank you very much :ksc75smile:

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #96 of 101
Dear Friends, I got centrance dacportable a couple days ago, it sounds great, I use shanling M1 as transport, only problem is that sound stacks for a short while on high bit tracks, like 24/96 or dsd64. I would appreciate advice or guidance in the matter.

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #97 of 101
Hi
Can You still buy one of these?

May 18, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #99 of 101
Does anyone use dacportable with galaxy note 9?
For me it loses signal and stops after couple of seconds, sometimes a little bit later, losing signal. Only reboot of dacportable helps. It however works with my laptop and with the same otg cable with AK 70ii as a USB out source.

May 18, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #100 of 101
Do you play from SD card or internal memory, I found out that not all SD cards created equil, and slow SD card produces loss of connection with the same cable. When changed to faster Samsung cards problems were gone.

May 18, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #101 of 101
Actually does not matter. I play from both, internal, card or Tidal, it just stops the sound and only reboot helps. And I have high speed Samsung card, BTW. Interesting, the sound stops, but the led that shows audio connection is on(as if hangs). And if I connect it to another source without reboot, it won't work until reboot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back