New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release
Aug 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #65 of 789
I have met Morbid's girlfriend and she is very gracious about the deal. It must be honored.

But, when I get back to Austin you know that the LG will be only 30 miles away, calling your name like a Siren.......

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #66 of 789
I have met Morbid's girlfriend and she is very gracious about the deal. It must be honored.
But, when I get back to Austin you know that the LG will be only 30 miles away, calling your name like a Siren.......

Yeah well I don't even have any dynamic cans right now...so there! Wait... :frowning2:

Can't get this LF sold or I'd have 009s on the way already.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #67 of 789
Quote:
Yeah well I don't even have any dynamic cans right now...so there! Wait...
frown.gif

... at which point the new Senn 'stat may be available and you'll be torn between phones....  
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #68 of 789
Quote:
Yeah well I don't even have any dynamic cans right now...so there! Wait...
frown.gif

popcorn.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #69 of 789
Quote:
Actually, I was thinking of just that. Since anyone who buys this amp must want to roll some tubes and probably has a box of them already, I think it makes sense for me not to include any. Besides, anything that I would send along would be new production jobbies like the EH 6SN7s. Most of you might just chuck them into the trash (although I use them a sacrificial tubes when needed).

I don't know about that. I bought a set of them and was using them in the Stacker II with good results. They pair up well with some cans.

There will always be people though that just want to buy an amp and not have to think beyond sticking the tubes in the sockets and plugging everything in.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #70 of 789
That's true but I feel the same people that complain about not getting tubes (just to have something to complain about) would be the same people that complain about how crappy the stock tubes are. 

Just slap some JJs in again and let people roll their own. It's like sushi...or something.

Quote:

I don't know about that. I bought a set of them and was using them in the Stacker II with good results. They pair up well with some cans.

There will always be people though that just want to buy an amp and not have to think beyond sticking the tubes in the sockets and plugging everything in.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #71 of 789
Quote:
That's true but I feel the same people that complain about not getting tubes (just to have something to complain about) would be the same people that complain about how crappy the stock tubes are. 

Just slap some JJs in again and let people roll their own. It's like sushi...or something.

Couldn't agree more !

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #72 of 789
You have to start somewhere. I would be interested in starting with tubes that the amp's builder thought were a good match, then roll for comparison.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #73 of 789
Quote:
You have to start somewhere. I would be interested in starting with tubes that the amp's builder thought were a good match, then roll for comparison.

Yea, but the LF is a pure example of let the person choose their own tubes. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #74 of 789
Quote:
Fair question. It's not a matter of straying away from balanced, but more a matter of how to get there at reasonable cost and size. 

It is fairly easy to make balanced chip in a small space, but balanced discrete is pretty much double everything. Even if the amp is a real differential amp instead of just a bridged amp it takes more components and size and cost.

Thus, it becomes a question of -- is the need for fully balanced discrete amp there enough to support the additional cost and complexity with a bigger footprint (or stacked boxes)?

I would be very interested in feedback on this.

I'd say stick with the design as-is.

But...

The one unarguable advantage of a "balanced" amp is that the separate contacts of the 4 pin XLR or dual 3 pin XLR connectors eliminates the common ground contact resistance of the TRS plug/jack that results in increased crosstalk.

So if it's not too late in the game, I'd suggest replacing one of the two TRS jacks with a 4 pin XLR. Sure, pins 2 and 4 would still need to be taken to a common ground point, but the resistance of a good solder joint is much lower than the contact resistance of the TRS plug/jack. HiFiMAN is doing this on their HE-6 amp.

se

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #75 of 789

Users who are viewing this thread

Back