New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release
Aug 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #91 of 789
Gents you have dipped into one of the endlessly explored topics of audio. So far as I know there has never been any definitive answer to these questions. There are answers in measurements and they are real and there are answers in simply just listening and they are just as real.

Unless you are choosing among amps that are just plain really bad, the choice often comes down to what you like to hear and what you CAN hear.

In general, it seems to me that if you like the sound then whatever you're listening too is right for you until you find something that you like better. Measurements, reviews by others, etc.can point you in a direction you might want to go in, but ultimately, it comes down to what you like in the context of what you can afford (the trade-off that we all have to make, or at least most of us).

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #92 of 789
Quote:
Gents you have dipped into one of the endlessly explored topics of audio. So far as I know there has never been any definitive answer to these questions. There are answers in measurements and they are real and there are answers in simply just listening and they are just as real.

Unless you are choosing among amps that are just plain really bad, the choice often comes down to what you like to hear and what you CAN hear.

In general, it seems to me that if you like the sound then whatever you're listening too is right for you until you find something that you like better. Measurements, reviews by others, etc.can point you in a direction you might want to go in, but ultimately, it comes down to what you like in the context of what you can afford (the trade-off that we all have to make, or at least most of us).

Couldn't agree more.

The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed. --Robert Pirsig

se

Aug 26, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #94 of 789
Quote:
Now there's something from the past.
wink.gif

Yeah. And so ware we.
biggrin.gif

se

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #95 of 789
I thought I would share a few more photographs with you ( Alex has given his blessings ) because after picking this up at fedex, the real amp is just so much more substantial than the pictures portray. This amp has a real physical presence, I popped in some different types of 6SN7 to show how they would fit in the amp too. I also popped open the hood and there are some very cool features inside which show attention to small detail 

Front of the amp with the very large Shuguang 6SN7 bottle tubes. 

One thing you will quickly realise is that I have no photographic skills - I tried to get better light outside 

Different 6SN7 tubes  - coin base RCA GTB's

Top shot 

attempt to show the bevel 

Lid off

Cardas rhodium  RCA 

ground plane input board 

Noval input board at the back of the tube hollow 

Power supply / relay boards

Volume pot and more internal bits

Coupling caps 

I will refrain from my subjective ramblings but this amp lives up to the expectation of its legacy. 

:wink: ..dB

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #98 of 789
I don't think that I have had this much fun rolling tubes as I did this weekend. Swapping tubes out in this amp was just pure  geek heaven, no pulling resistors or opening the amp to throw a heavy duty switch and no fussing with tube biasing. I honestly think that this is going to appeal to a whole slew of like minded folk who enjoy sampling their tubes. And it is all in the switches on the front panel which control relay coupled switching of the following:

Left to Right

Heater voltage - 6.3 or 12.6 DC 
B+ voltage  - 300V or 200V 
input selector - there are 2 inputs and one loop out
output selector   - headphones or preamp out

I have a reasonable collection of tubes and didn't get to even scratch the surface, partly because I kept getting swept away with the listening and got distracted from the rolling. I started off with some 6H23EV (6.3V heater and 200V B+), rolled in some smoked glass 12SN7's (12.6V heater and 300V B+), then switched back to coin base 6SN7 GTB's  (6.3V heater and 300V B+) and finally remembered the coke bottle new production 6SN7's sitting in the power amp and popped those in to get a feel for what the "best modern" 6SN7's were like in this amp. I could really hear the different nuances in these tubes, some clearly more "noisy" / microphonic but not a single bad experience  - stands to reason as I have weeded out most tubes that were nasty in previous amps. 

I should note that the amp has to be switched off to roll tubes and change voltages , but as the whole thing does not cool down, it comes back up to operating conditions fairly quickly. 

..dB

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #100 of 789
Quote:
I thought I would share a few more photographs with you ( Alex has given his blessings ) because after picking this up at fedex, the real amp is just so much more substantial than the pictures portray. This amp has a real physical presence, I popped in some different types of 6SN7 to show how they would fit in the amp too. I also popped open the hood and there are some very cool features inside which show attention to small detail 

One thing you will quickly realise is that I have no photographic skills - I tried to get better light outside 

I will refrain from my subjective ramblings but this amp lives up to the expectation of its legacy. 

:wink: ..dB

She is a beauty, I assume it is a she from the styling anyway. :p

Do want.  Thanks for sharing the pics.  I have the Agent Orange Stacker burned in memory, perhaps fading slightly with age. 
I am a fan of the styling as well, looking forward to rolling them tubes and hearing the Liquid Glass goodness someday with my various rigs.   

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #104 of 789
deleted

edit :

these might be more aesthetically fitting for the styling as they would fit onto the subchassis and allow just the connector to be visible , will have to check if the latch can be ommited 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back