NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Jul 19, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #3,466 of 3,483
20230712_154430.jpg

Got the Atlas this week and let me say I'm totally delighted with it. I have the OG Andromeda and the Atlas brings the bass and musicality at a level that I can't explain.

Earlier today I did a "reality check" while listening to it and switched to the Aful P5 and Bluelover... OMG, that's why the Andromeda and Atlas are TOTL IEMs... It's another level, they are the two I'll probably never sell.

I also had a fantastic fit with large tips (which I usually wear) from Tri Clarion. The IEMs are so quick to put on and get a great seal and also don't get.even close to dropping like some people say.

I just consider it my best iem.
Agreed my Atlas would get a lot more use rather than being at the back of the draw if it wasn't for the hideous driver flex, how on earth do you avoid that with silicone ear tips?

Jul 19, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #3,467 of 3,483
Agreed my Atlas would get a lot more use rather than being at the back of the draw if it wasn't for the hideous driver flex, how on earth do you avoid that with silicone ear tips?
Honestly, dunno :)
I just put them and it seals and sounds awesome. I don't even feel/hear the driver flex :)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #3,470 of 3,483
Jul 23, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #3,471 of 3,483
Aug 28, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #3,472 of 3,483
Going simple this night with the apple dongle.
20230828_212710.jpg

Oct 2, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #3,473 of 3,483
These Atlas are such excellent IEMs. Discovered them last Saturday-purchased because the price was so good, new. The treble extension is truly special, combined with everything else.

I do not seem to know what driver flex is after many, many years using headphones and earphones. Never seems to happen to me, so I do not understand that con. No problems so far, Crystal eartips.

The only thing that may not be ideal is extremely bass-heavy mastered tracks. Old school tracks with rather low/ thin bass sounds amazing. Classical sounds excellent. Mids are not in a valley down there. Cymbals are magic on these. It was really a nice flagship IEM for Campfire Audio back then. They should be very proud of this special effort, even if it is no longer manufactured. It is among my favorites-and I am more of a "treblehead" than a basshead (I can live without the latter at all, but not having at least decent treble bothers me a bit.)

I also have the Andromeda S, and still am glad I got these. It is superb. Very special stuff. :)

(Do not understand the indignant outrage this audio company often gets by those who "know audio". They are far from the most expensive company, and do whatever they want. Respect them for that. Glad they are still around, even if most of the time I cannot afford their products.)

Oct 2, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #3,474 of 3,483
I like good treble too. I also own and enjoy CA Atlas. Agree wholeheartedly with ALL your observations 😊

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #3,475 of 3,483
These Atlas are such excellent IEMs. Discovered them last Saturday-purchased because the price was so good, new. The treble extension is truly special, combined with everything else.

I do not seem to know what driver flex is after many, many years using headphones and earphones. Never seems to happen to me, so I do not understand that con. No problems so far, Crystal eartips.

The only thing that may not be ideal is extremely bass-heavy mastered tracks. Old school tracks with rather low/ thin bass sounds amazing. Classical sounds excellent. Mids are not in a valley down there. Cymbals are magic on these. It was really a nice flagship IEM for Campfire Audio back then. They should be very proud of this special effort, even if it is no longer manufactured. It is among my favorites-and I am more of a "treblehead" than a basshead (I can live without the latter at all, but not having at least decent treble bothers me a bit.)

I also have the Andromeda S, and still am glad I got these. It is superb. Very special stuff. :)

(Do not understand the indignant outrage this audio company often gets by those who "know audio". They are far from the most expensive company, and do whatever they want. Respect them for that. Glad they are still around, even if most of the time I cannot afford their products.)
Enjoy. I’ve had mine for nearly 4 years now and for good reason. :)

Oct 3, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #3,476 of 3,483
Enjoy. I’ve had mine for nearly 4 years now and for good reason. :)
Definitely nothing to dislike about them. They are not even super bassy to the point it overwhelms everything. It is "exciting" and "fun" without altering the original song/piece much. Just enhances it, if anything. Yes it is a "big" sound, but very tastefully done. And again, the treble is quite amazing.

Of course other IEMs of mine have excellent mids that make violins/vocals quite special, but at least with the Atlas these do not disappear in a huge frequency response valley, so you can turn up the volume as needed, and the bass/treble still won't hurt at all. That is why classical still is excellent with the Atlas. Pop music vocals in general do not get lost, even if not on the forefront, unless it was badly mastered in that way. Definitely a worthwhile "flagship" back then, and great IEMs to keep for all time-I have nothing that do what the Atlas does, and as such an enjoyable level.

Not "analytical", but respects the source material.

Easy to drive if that is a concern.

Easy fit in my experience-I wear them cable down, they never leave my ears (maybe the Crystal eartips are also very solid in that way.) I also have the Final Heaven V-cable down IEMs-and though lighter, those at times move a bit (not much, and do not fall, but can ocassionally shift position.)

Still cannot find the mythical "drive flex" always cited as a con. Either I am an idiot and cannot pinpoint it, or it really has never happened to me. No problems with the Atlas so far-no cutouts/loss of volume? Perhaps it only happens with deep insertion and other silicon tips, and the Crystal tips do not have that issue? It just feels so odd "everyone agrees" there is a problem with the Atlas design, and I cannot understand it.

Maybe not universal IEMs, but true keepers. Cannot find a con other than the initial retail price, and that because they were out of my reach economically, not because I think they were overpriced.

Sometimes you hear a song, and it moves you to tears with how great it makes old classics sounds. Can make many badly mastered tracks shine, either by adding fullness or making cymbals (and other usually veiled details) reappear. Same with a classical violin concerto recording I have by a great violinist-I feel as-is, the hall wasn't ideal, and it didn't make her playing justice (it is not the violinist's problem-sounds fine elsewhere and live)-the Atlas "renewed" the recording so it sounds actually great. Very impressive indeed. Love these Atlas IEMs-if it isn't obvious enough.

Attachments

• 20231003_213541.jpg
    20231003_213541.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #3,477 of 3,483
Definitely nothing to dislike about them. They are not even super bassy to the point it overwhelms everything. It is "exciting" and "fun" without altering the original song/piece much. Just enhances it, if anything. Yes it is a "big" sound, but very tastefully done. And again, the treble is quite amazing.

Of course other IEMs of mine have excellent mids that make violins/vocals quite special, but at least with the Atlas these do not disappear in a huge frequency response valley, so you can turn up the volume as needed, and the bass/treble still won't hurt at all. That is why classical still is excellent with the Atlas. Pop music vocals in general do not get lost, even if not on the forefront, unless it was badly mastered in that way. Definitely a worthwhile "flagship" back then, and great IEMs to keep for all time-I have nothing that do what the Atlas does, and as such an enjoyable level.

Not "analytical", but respects the source material.

Easy to drive if that is a concern.

Easy fit in my experience-I wear them cable down, they never leave my ears (maybe the Crystal eartips are also very solid in that way.) I also have the Final Heaven V-cable down IEMs-and though lighter, those at times move a bit (not much, and do not fall, but can ocassionally shift position.)

Still cannot find the mythical "drive flex" always cited as a con. Either I am an idiot and cannot pinpoint it, or it really has never happened to me. No problems with the Atlas so far-no cutouts/loss of volume? Perhaps it only happens with deep insertion and other silicon tips, and the Crystal tips do not have that issue? It just feels so odd "everyone agrees" there is a problem with the Atlas design, and I cannot understand it.

Maybe not universal IEMs, but true keepers. Cannot find a con other than the initial retail price, and that because they were out of my reach economically, not because I think they were overpriced.

Sometimes you hear a song, and it moves you to tears with how great it makes old classics sounds. Can make many badly mastered tracks shine, either by adding fullness or making cymbals (and other usually veiled details) reappear. Same with a classical violin concerto recording I have by a great violinist-I feel as-is, the hall wasn't ideal, and it didn't make her playing justice (it is not the violinist's problem-sounds fine elsewhere and live)-the Atlas "renewed" the recording so it sounds actually great. Very impressive indeed. Love these Atlas IEMs-if it isn't obvious enough.
Hey man. Terrific post. Love the enthusiasm and I really share a lot of your feelings towards the Atlas. They have an incredibly balanced tuning. I think I remember back that Jude from Head-Fi here said in a video how impressed he was when he saw the frequency response graph for both the left/right channel balance. They are virtually identical. A rare thing, which is in part as to why the Atlas have great soundstage width and imaging. :)
Enjoy man. The Atlas still kick like a mule in the mid bass like very few IEMS can do…apparently. :wink:

Nov 28, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #3,478 of 3,483
Hi Headfiers

Instead of my comet factory cable, I am looking for a good quality not an ear hook cable.
Can you recommend other than Ali and Chifi products?

Thanks

Nov 28, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #3,479 of 3,483
I keep the Comets in my backpack at all times as a backup, so I just switched to the same cable as the Atlas. There really wasn't a significant change in sound (I don't believe in cables that much, but CA IEMs are the significant exception, everything but the single BAs are cable sensitive, especially the Andros).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back