NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
May 17, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #3,241 of 3,483
I do have both. Before I had the Polaris II I had Lyra II, Vega, and Andromeda. I was excited to get Polaris II because a couple of reviews said it was similar to the Lyra II, which is one of my favorite iems. To my shock, Polaris II had the most distracting bass I have ever heard. No matter the cable or tips I just couldn't get it to sound right compared to my other Campfire iems.

I bought the Atlas(B-Stock) last December. Despite it's bassy nature I found it much more acceptable sounding than the Polaris II. The vocals and treble are top notch imo. Atlas is an iem you change up to your desire with cables, tips, and source. Ares II 8 wire with ZX300 sounded very analogue to me. Right now I'm using Leonidas II cable with Rockboxed Clip Zip. With some Rockbox eq and dsp it sounds quite holographic. Surprised how good it sounded for such an old small player, but it just shows Atlas versatility.
Funny how relevant the Rockbox'ed Clip Zip is. It is amazing the power it has as well.

May 17, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #3,242 of 3,483
Funny how relevant the Rockbox'ed Clip Zip is. It is amazing the power it has as well.

Absolutely. It just won't die. I updated my Clip Zip about 2 months ago and started experimenting with Haas Surround setting. I couldn't believe how real/center-focused vocals became and how expansive the soundstage got without sounding etched. Bass was still too much so I turned down 8 dbs.

Recently got a M15 so will be interesting once M15 is burned in to compare the two.

May 17, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #3,243 of 3,483
Absolutely. It just won't die. I updated my Clip Zip about 2 months ago and started experimenting with Haas Surround setting. I couldn't believe how real/center-focused vocals became and how expansive the soundstage got without sounding etched. Bass was still too much so I turned down 8 dbs.

Recently got a M15 so will be interesting once M15 is burned in to compare the two.
Curious about your M15 impressions.

May 17, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #3,244 of 3,483
I own the atlas love it and think I may get a comet too. Can’t find any new ones in the UK. Have they stopped making them?

May 17, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #3,245 of 3,483
Curious about your M15 impressions.

Full disclosure, I have a problem letting go of gear and tend to collect quite a bit. Android Daps fascinate me but also seem pointless since they come off as a glorified phone. I really felt silly buying the M15 since I already have plenty of gear including WM1A, ZX300, Clip Zip, etc. For this reason M15 is at a real disadvantage for me to keep. I've had it for about a week. It's only my second Android Dap I've ever bought. First being the Hiby R6 Pro which I returned last year.

Headphones used: Dt770 80, Nighthawk, and Trp50
Iems used: Vega (4.4) and Andromeda (3.5)

Majority of my listening time been spent with Vega on 4.4 using 8 wire SPC cable. Heavy rotation of Stevie Wonder is required on incoming Daps. Bass is still powerful but feels more under control coming from the ZX300. Headstage seems a touch taller and sound has more space overall. Specifically with the Vega and 8 wire cable 4.4 out, M15 seems to outpace WM1A by a hair. With WM1A stock(3.01fm) 4.4 out, Vega gives me a more relaxed far away presentation in comparison. M15 feels like a jolt of coffe with not only width, but brings a thickness I appreciate. I'm doubting myself here, but also eager to go back and confirm if my impressions are consistent with continued listening time to M15.

Nighthawk sounded wonderful on 3.5. Trp50(hardest hephone to drive for me) was driven nicely on 3.5 too(80/120 on high gain). Bass had nice texture but mids seem recessed.

The volume pot feels smooth and can be adjusted in fine increments.

This is the most silent gear I own. I've used Pure Mode, Gonemad Player, and Tidal. I've browsed this very site and haven't heard the M15 make any noise. Impressive

Overall UI is very responsive and fluid

M15 gets quit warm, wish it came with a case.

I hate using a tool to open the Micro SD trey.

Build wise, the M15 is impressive, but feels more akward to hold than the WM1A. On several occasions I've accidently changed songs with side buttons or inadvertently touched screen when I didn't mean to. Luckily, M15 has settings to mitigate accidental touches by disabling buttons while on hold. You can also change what Multifuction button does.
Screenshot_20200518-024113.pngScreenshot_20200518-024049.png

So, I guess this is one Dap I'll be keeping for a while and will include in rotation with WM1a and Clip Zip

Solaris 2020 inoming!!

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #3,246 of 3,483
I own the atlas love it and think I may get a comet too. Can’t find any new ones in the UK. Have they stopped making them?
Shame if they have. Prefer cable down to over ear. Glad I got mine when I did even if I don't use it as much.

May 19, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #3,247 of 3,483
I do have both. Before I had the Polaris II I had Lyra II, Vega, and Andromeda. I was excited to get Polaris II because a couple of reviews said it was similar to the Lyra II, which is one of my favorite iems. To my shock, Polaris II had the most distracting bass I have ever heard. No matter the cable or tips I just couldn't get it to sound right compared to my other Campfire iems.

I bought the Atlas(B-Stock) last December. Despite it's bassy nature I found it much more acceptable sounding than the Polaris II. The vocals and treble are top notch imo. Atlas is an iem you change up to your desire with cables, tips, and source. Ares II 8 wire with ZX300 sounded very analogue to me. Right now I'm using Leonidas II cable with Rockboxed Clip Zip. With some Rockbox eq and dsp it sounds quite holographic. Surprised how good it sounded for such an old small player, but it just shows Atlas versatility.
I actually like the Polaris II bass personally, but find it's midrange to be a little muddy and lacking detail. The Atlas has me very intrigued. If I can find a good deal on one I might have to pull the trigger. Thanks for your input.

May 24, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #3,253 of 3,483

Users who are viewing this thread

Back