NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Dec 22, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #2,371 of 3,483
Just a quick question regarding the Comet.

Refinement and detail aside would you consider the Comet to be tonally more or less representative of Campfire Audios "house sound"?

It's CA "BA" house sound that I'm 100% sure. CA's flagship BA (Andromeda) builds on Comet's house sound, improving on areas where tonality is lacking and for the most part, soundstage and presence. Andromeda would sound big and full while Comet sounds like a baby Andromeda with inferior tonality and extension. Bass extension is almost the same as Andromeda but it isn't as refined sounding as Andromeda.

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #2,372 of 3,483
Just a quick question regarding the Comet.

Refinement and detail aside would you consider the Comet to be tonally more or less representative of Campfire Audios "house sound"?

I'd say that's a fair assessment. I only have the Cascades to compare to (until I bite the bullet for the Solaris). Obviously not a fair comparison, but they sound like the same company. They both trend to musical rather than clinical with slightly rolled off highs that allow for long, comfortable listening sessions.

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #2,373 of 3,483
It's CA "BA" house sound that I'm 100% sure. CA's flagship BA (Andromeda) builds on Comet's house sound, improving on areas where tonality is lacking and for the most part, soundstage and presence. Andromeda would sound big and full while Comet sounds like a baby Andromeda with inferior tonality and extension. Bass extension is almost the same as Andromeda but it isn't as refined sounding as Andromeda.

I'd say that's a fair assessment. I only have the Cascades to compare to (until I bite the bullet for the Solaris). Obviously not a fair comparison, but they sound like the same company. They both trend to musical rather than clinical with slightly rolled off highs that allow for long, comfortable listening sessions.

Thanks. I deliberately asked to leave refinement and detail aside as the Comet is at the bottom of the range, and while I admit that the Comet is OK, it's overall tonality is not for me - the lifted upper mids sound shouty, and the lower mids seem to be obscured, so you've saved me from going further up the range of CFA.

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #2,374 of 3,483
Thanks. I deliberately asked to leave refinement and detail aside as the Comet is at the bottom of the range, and while I admit that the Comet is OK, it's overall tonality is not for me - the lifted upper mids sound shouty, and the lower mids seem to be obscured, so you've saved me from going further up the range of CFA.

Perhaps you should try the Campfire Solaris hybrid BA DD IEM where the upper mids are definitely tamed compared to more reference style tuning from their pure BA lineup. While I haven’t heard them personally myself, I’m eager to demo it next year at CanJam

In case you’re wondering, CA has completely different house sound from their lineups. While the Pure BA lineup is more reference/studio tuned, their pure DD lineup is V-shaped and their hybrid (Solaris) is “holographic/3D” due to the upper mids sounding a bit further away from the mix

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #2,375 of 3,483
...the lifted upper mids sound shouty, and the lower mids seem to be obscured...
That doesn't sound neither like Andromeda nor like Atlas to me. At all. That said, I have to equalize both to get the tonal balance I want (perceivedly flat) – but that's inevitable with IEMs (as well as full-sized headphones).

Dec 22, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #2,376 of 3,483

There must be something wrong with your ears! Kidding aside, glad to help. Not every brand works for everyone. I personally can't do Beyers or HIfiman (although I have owned both in the past). Campfire Audio and Sony are my go-to's at the moment. Good luck with your search for your perfect listen.

Dec 22, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #2,377 of 3,483
Actually this might be exactly why you would want to go up their range to the Solaris. Solaris has the smoothest midrange I have ever heard, great textures and weight for the lower midrange, and I havent ever heard shoutiness from the Solaris (I do from my Comet that I own). The Solaris Has a very musical, forgiving, and detailed sound. It really is worth checking out, especially considering what you dont like about the Comet.

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #2,379 of 3,483
Guys, does anyone have this and the SE846? I have seen a good second hand deal on these, wondered if there are any huge differences worth of note.

If you mean Atlas then there are differences apart from variable signatures between dynamic and armature.Atlas has much better depth and is noticeably fuller and bigger sounding,Se846 is noticeably flat,also better clarity and more detailed upper mids,more visceral and bigger bass,when it hits the impact covers much bigger surface than se846,both go deep,noticeably more treble and extension than se846,which while detailed and smooth,highs rolled off early.The se846 signature is fun though that's why i still keep it not because it's king in technicalities.

The main problem you could find with Atlas is more with the fit and weight than anything else.

Dec 23, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #2,381 of 3,483
Guys, does anyone have this and the SE846? I have seen a good second hand deal on these, wondered if there are any huge differences worth of note.

I ended up keeping my SE846 and selling the Atlas because the SE846 was a better all day work option for me. I can listen all day long without fatigue, but the same wasn't true for the Atlas (for my ears). The 846s also stay put better and has less microphonics - I couldn't get used to using Atlas in over-ear config. I do miss the Atlas for shorter sessions - The visceral bass is just fantastic, but then again the 846 has the mids...

Dec 23, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #2,382 of 3,483
I ended up keeping my SE846 and selling the Atlas because the SE846 was a better all day work option for me. I can listen all day long without fatigue, but the same wasn't true for the Atlas (for my ears). The 846s also stay put better and has less microphonics - I couldn't get used to using Atlas in over-ear config. I do miss the Atlas for shorter sessions - The visceral bass is just fantastic, but then again the 846 has the mids...

Have both SE846 and Atlas. Love both.

Dec 27, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #2,384 of 3,483

100% agree with this. Having owned the Atlas, Andromedas, Comets and Orion, the Comets are indeed a lesser and mini version (but it's not an inferior IEM any means) of the Andromeda. Baby Andromeda is a good description. It's quite worth its $199 price tag.

The Orion is very flat sounding (perhaps boring to some) but I really like its tonality. It has stayed in my collection whereas the other three have gone.

Dec 28, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #2,385 of 3,483
Hi guys,

i just bought a brand new ie800. they are amazing in high resolution trance and house progressive. What really stands out in this iem's is how the bass is fast and very clear and also the mids and highs. . Can someone that have the ie800 and the Atlas compare them both in this specific genre with high resolution files i am curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back