NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Oct 29, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #2,281 of 3,483
Will the spiral dots lower the treble?

I find that the spiral dots with their wide bore actually tend to bring the treble out more, so if the treble was already a bit hot for you, you should probably try something with a smaller bore, or potentially go to foams.

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #2,282 of 3,483
Finally received my custom tips from SoundMolds. Way better fit than any other silicone tips I've tried...all the included ones either give me driver flex or serious sound leak when I don't push them in as deep. The marshmallow tips are awesome soundwise, but I keep finding myself having to push them back in or adjust the seal and they can get uncomfortable after a while. So far the custom tips are giving me that richness of sound I expect dem the atlas, while offering an easier and more effective (and comfortable) fit situation.Even with the headphones worn down, there are no slipping out issues...fit feels very secure, sound intensity is maintained and no driver flex.

Also find the highs and mids are improved without much trade off in terms of the bass I'd get from the marshmallow tips. Soundstage has expanded some.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #2,284 of 3,483
Who and where is soundmolds? How much do they charge for custom ear tips?

soundmolds.com and $140 + Shipping to do them if you supply the earphone.

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #2,287 of 3,483
Thanks. I couldn't find on the website where they're based at. Do you happen to know?

Their indigogo page listed home as Scottsdale Arizona, USA when they started up.

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #2,288 of 3,483
After brain and driver burn-in, I'd have to say the Atlas is still sounding excellent. The mids is underrated, vocals sound beautiful and breath taking. There is quality in the bass, it rumbles but is well layered. The highs are crisp and blends into the music without grabbing your attention like more analytical earphones. Instruments are kept well separated even when the music gets busy. Impressive.

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #2,289 of 3,483
for those who doesnt mind sacrificing some isolation, a cheap but effective way to control excessive bass is to use the shure orange foamies which are made from low density pourous foam, i have had success with them on my bravados, sony z5, tg334 and the vega (when i auditioned them), they fit onto the vega with elbow grease, was thinking they might fit the atlas as well,upper and mid bass become a fair bit less overblown without affecting impact too much, also fixes driver flex.

Nov 1, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #2,290 of 3,483
After brain and driver burn-in, I'd have to say the Atlas is still sounding excellent. The mids is underrated, vocals sound beautiful and breath taking. There is quality in the bass, it rumbles but is well layered. The highs are crisp and blends into the music without grabbing your attention like more analytical earphones. Instruments are kept well separated even when the music gets busy. Impressive.
Well said! I’ve had the atlas for just over two weeks and couldn’t be happier the sound. I have have no fit issues as others have described.

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #2,291 of 3,483
It’s interesting. The Atlas oh-so flirts with upper bass bloat, but I never can quite make that call, fortunately. Must be the interesting tuning alluded to in reviews with that frequency dip in the lower mids. Kind of draws a “line in the sand”, if you will. Anyway the tuning works great for thinner recordings (usually older pop rock). Am currently listening to a modern day recording full of rich bass. Atlas handling it with aplomb.

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #2,292 of 3,483
Still having some slight fit issues with the atlas. They just are a bit heavy and put a little pressure on my ear (left one mostly) after some time. What I have found is that larger tips seem to be better, but what I really need is a tip that is also longer, to set the atlas back from my ear a small amount so the atlas itself isnt actually resting on any part of my ear. Something like the westone star tips. I have a pair and have tried them (which was a pain to get on) just to see, and since they are longer it definitely seemed like a better fit, but the ultra narrow bores really choke up the sound, bloat the bass, and kill the treble. I would look into getting custom tips, but do not have any impressions of my ears done, and not really sure its worth the trouble or expense... yet (i say when discussion 1300 dollar iems...). Either way, any suggesitons close to what I might be looking for there? I am also not a fan of foam tips as I have never really felt confident in the fit I get, and would prefer not to have tips that wear down and need replacing regularly.

I have tried spiral dots, various spinfits, and a number of other random tips I have in my bag, including symbios, which I have never been a fan of as I find them painful due to how stiff that foam is.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #2,294 of 3,483
Still having some slight fit issues with the atlas. They just are a bit heavy and put a little pressure on my ear (left one mostly) after some time. What I have found is that larger tips seem to be better, but what I really need is a tip that is also longer, to set the atlas back from my ear a small amount so the atlas itself isnt actually resting on any part of my ear. Something like the westone star tips. I have a pair and have tried them (which was a pain to get on) just to see, and since they are longer it definitely seemed like a better fit, but the ultra narrow bores really choke up the sound, bloat the bass, and kill the treble. I would look into getting custom tips, but do not have any impressions of my ears done, and not really sure its worth the trouble or expense... yet (i say when discussion 1300 dollar iems...). Either way, any suggesitons close to what I might be looking for there? I am also not a fan of foam tips as I have never really felt confident in the fit I get, and would prefer not to have tips that wear down and need replacing regularly.

I have tried spiral dots, various spinfits, and a number of other random tips I have in my bag, including symbios, which I have never been a fan of as I find them painful due to how stiff that foam is.

In my respectful opinion, you're seeking far too many specifics. I concede that the Atlas' have a funny shape. However, I also believe that pursuing high end headphone rigs requires nuanced compromises. Maybe you need some custom tips. Chasing the dragon tip may just be frustrating. These IEMs are kind of annoying for comfort and fit. But the sound experience is fabulous. I flip the headphones and wrap the cable over my ear. That mostly minimizes the discomfort I've felt.

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #2,295 of 3,483
In my respectful opinion, you're seeking far too many specifics. I concede that the Atlas' have a funny shape. However, I also believe that pursuing high end headphone rigs requires nuanced compromises. Maybe you need some custom tips. Chasing the dragon tip may just be frustrating. These IEMs are kind of annoying for comfort and fit. But the sound experience is fabulous. I flip the headphones and wrap the cable over my ear. That mostly minimizes the discomfort I've felt.

Honestly just wanted to see if there was some longer tips that people know about... Might need to go custom, but figured I'd ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back