NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Nov 20, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #2,311 of 3,483
Nov 21, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #2,312 of 3,483
Nov 21, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #2,313 of 3,483
Wow, the B-stock Atlas is sooo tempting. And just as I was saving up for Solaris, all my plans crumble, LOL.

I was originally looking for something with a fun signature to complement my Andros and Solaris seemed like a great idea at first. And now that the cat is out of the bag, it seems like the Solaris is sth. to replace Andro, not complement it. I really hoped it had an Andro tuning with Atlas bass but it looks like it is pretty close to neutral.

So, I guess I should think about this amazing B-stock offer pretty seriously. What do you guys think?

Nov 21, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #2,315 of 3,483
I think the Atlas is hard to beat – even in the treble, if you like honesty and accuracy over sparkle. Equalizing brings it to another level of realism (below the FiiO X5 II octave EQ with +/– 6 dB).

Atlas-EQ-Curve on X5 II.jpg

I haven't heard the Solaris yet – but I expect it to have the Atlas DD for the bass and the Andromeda BAs, so I'm not sure if I would want to give up the Atlas package from one driver with zero crossover.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #2,319 of 3,483
Speaking of cables, a little annoyed that it looks like I've got a dud on the right side of my Comets:frowning2: Right at the point the cable joins the monitor, the cable has split open. Looks like an email in order to hifiheadphones where I bought it from. At least being removable I can just swop it out for now, but not really acceptable on a £200 pair of headphones.

Nov 29, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #2,320 of 3,483
Very even handed,balanced sound with JVC Spiral Dot and it is definitely a good tip for Atlas,in the top 3 for me,but i miss the sub bass punch and depth that the finals provide,which imo is still the best tip for Atlas,custom excluded.The thing is most bought Atlas for the visceral,speaker like lows and extravagant and exciting treble and overall fun signature which finals provide.If i want balance and restraint i have the Andromedas and i also don't notice any clarity improvement just cause the bore is wider,there is some slight openess but nothing major that would make me say that OMG these are the tips for Atlas,it's a different beast altogether.YMMV of course

Nov 29, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #2,322 of 3,483
I've found that silver plater copper, copper/silver hybrid or all silver are better matches.

I've used the Campfire Silver 4.4 but found that the Campfire SXC 8 4.4 was a better fit, cleaner mids and better detailed highs.

Nov 29, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #2,323 of 3,483
I've tried four cables with the Atlas: ALO Litz, Reference 8, Atlas silver cable and Lavricables Reference Silver.

The best match was the Lavri, closely followed by the standard silver cable. The Lavri needs a 0.3 dB increase at 16 kHz in comparison, though, and is quite stiff in view of portable use, although it's manageable. I think the original cable (Campfire/ALO Silver Litz) is still the best comprimize, since it offers the treble energy necessary for the Atlas driver's high-frequency extension. The other two don't come close in this configuration. That said, the Reference 8 is a really good match with the SE846.

For those who think cables are the only field where the Atlas can be optimized: See this post!

Dec 1, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #2,324 of 3,483
It is a shame that the Atlas is being overshadowed by the Solaris hype train. I am sure it deserves the hype but the release came out fairly soon after the Atlas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back