NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Apr 9, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #242 of 3,483
I guess that foam tips are easiest at a show? Going for a squeezable and hope for a one size fits all scenario.

Thats my guess.

I usually use my own JVC Spiral tips where possible . As they fit me well and I am used to their sound signature.

In other news....

Going a bit overboard this morning for fun and science!

Campfire Audio Comet, ALO Audio SXC-8 cable (MMCX to 4.4mm balanced) and iBasso DX200 and Amp 4.

#overkilljustforfun
That's probably the reason why many companies used squooshy tips at the show. After I bought my Comets I went to another booth to try some of their line of IEMs and they wanted to "wipe off" the silicone tips off the IEMs a previous customer had just used for me to try on.....ewwww! I said "No, that's okay" and I put on the tips that I had just got from Campfire Audio's demo booth to try the Comet's I just bought. So, I take it back....Thank you Campfire Audio for using your squooshy tips at the show! Haahaha.
I used my Comets with an Ibasso balanced cable into my Shanling, and I think that it sounds great! They definitely can do balanced and reap the benefits from that setup.

Apr 9, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #243 of 3,483
20180409_141453.jpg

Attachments

• 20180409_141449.jpg
    20180409_141449.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Apr 9, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #245 of 3,483
That's probably the reason why many companies used squooshy tips at the show. After I bought my Comets I went to another booth to try some of their line of IEMs and they wanted to "wipe off" the silicone tips off the IEMs a previous customer had just used for me to try on.....ewwww! I said "No, that's okay" and I put on the tips that I had just got from Campfire Audio's demo booth to try the Comet's I just bought. So, I take it back....Thank you Campfire Audio for using your squooshy tips at the show! Haahaha.
I used my Comets with an Ibasso balanced cable into my Shanling, and I think that it sounds great! They definitely can do balanced and reap the benefits from that setup.
Actually your anecdote points more to the unsanitary nature of foamies versus silicone which can at least be surface cleaned. The squishy nature of foamies would make them more likely to trap contaminants.

Personally if I were ever in a position where I could attend something like a canjam I'd be bringing a pocket full of inexpensive wide bore silicone tips because of just that ewwww No, that's okay reaction you expressed.

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #246 of 3,483
Getting this thread back on track...I am waiting for my Comet to arrive today. Curious if the controls on the cable introduce any noise. That is one of the reasons I never use that type of cable. Anyone give any feedback on that so far?

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #247 of 3,483
My Comets have just arrived in the UK and on my desk. Only ordered on Thursday, so given that a few of the Campfire team would have been at Canjam all weekend, I'm pretty impressed!

Had them in for about 30 mins so far (through my ZX300) and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. The amount of body to the signature for a single BA is very good, and they sound natural and more to the point musical, with good clarity for the price range.

Fit wearing them down is secure, and they isolate really well with foam tips. Initial impressions are very favourable, and I think these things may end up being the sleeper hit of 2018 given the price. Been listening to the Cascade non stop for the last week to get my review of that finished, and the fact that these iems don't sound anaemic compared to that bass monster should probably say everything you need to hear about how well a vented BA can perform in the low end.

The only thing I can think of that hasn't impressed me is the neck cinch on the included cable - why bother with one when it only goes up about 3 inches before it hits the cable mic?

Overall though: looking forward to spending some time with these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 9, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #248 of 3,483
Getting this thread back on track...I am waiting for my Comet to arrive today. Curious if the controls on the cable introduce any noise. That is one of the reasons I never use that type of cable. Anyone give any feedback on that so far?

Debating getting a 4.4m MMCX cable from a local UK cable manufacturer this week (less than £100, before anyone weighs in on the cable debate again - the ZX300 balanced implementation just sounds better to me than the SE out). Will hopefully be able to do some A/B/C between that, the Comet stock and the SPC stock from the Vega - can't say I have noticed anything untoward on the ZX300 SE output so far though.

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #249 of 3,483
@MoonAudio do you think the Atlas will work with your Dragons for the SE846? Same connector? Just ordered the Atlas and wondering. Thanks, Paul C; Toronto

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #251 of 3,483
My Comets have just arrived in the UK and on my desk. Only ordered on Thursday, so given that a few of the Campfire team would have been at Canjam all weekend, I'm pretty impressed!

Had them in for about 30 mins so far (through my ZX300) and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. The amount of body to the signature for a single BA is very good, and they sound natural and more to the point musical, with good clarity for the price range.

Fit wearing them down is secure, and they isolate really well with foam tips. Initial impressions are very favourable, and I think these things may end up being the sleeper hit of 2018 given the price. Been listening to the Cascade non stop for the last week to get my review of that finished, and the fact that these iems don't sound anaemic compared to that bass monster should probably say everything you need to hear about how well a vented BA can perform in the low end.

The only thing I can think of that hasn't impressed me is the neck cinch on the included cable - why bother with one when it only goes up about 3 inches before it hits the cable mic?

Overall though: looking forward to spending some time with these.
How you compare these with the LZ A4(black+black combination) ,

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #252 of 3,483
Mine are showing they will arrive tomorrow. I'm stoked! I'll test against the A4 although hardly seems like a fair fight with the tuning filters and multiple drivers in the A4.

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #253 of 3,483

Mic placement bothers me a bit. It sits at chest level, a bit too low. Also, it makes the cable chin slider useless. No electrical noise from the cable, physical noise doesn't seem to result from the microphone. I'd prefer it not be a microphone cable in the end though, so I can use the nice cable slider that campfire has.

I cast my vote to remove the microphone from the island.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #254 of 3,483
Mine are showing they will arrive tomorrow. I'm stoked! I'll test against the A4 although hardly seems like a fair fight with the tuning filters and multiple drivers in the A4.
So nice of you if you do this, i just want to know the Comet can be a upgrade to A4 or not , thanks in advance mate ,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back