NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Apr 9, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #256 of 3,483
Mic placement bothers me a bit. It sits at chest level, a bit too low. Also, it makes the cable chin slider useless. No electrical noise from the cable, physical noise doesn't seem to result from the microphone. I'd prefer it not be a microphone cable in the end though, so I can use the nice cable slider that campfire has.

I cast my vote to remove the microphone from the island.
Do you wear it over ear or not? I wonder if it is worn over ear if the controls wouldn't be so low.

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #259 of 3,483
CAA9EC50-C340-41F8-A757-DB6AB4952D78.jpeg I found a very funny picture online.

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #261 of 3,483
I'm pulling the trigger on the Comets today! I've been looking for some everyday, walking around town, I won't want to hang myself if I lose them iem's I can plug into my phone or my DAP. These are beautiful!

Also, in regards to the debate going on. Seriously? Come on guys, this is supposed to be fun. Expensive, yes... but I don't care what anybody says I'm doing wrong or thinking wrong about this stuff. I like what I like. Do you, boo!

And Ken! If you're reading this, when do you get the Cascades back in? I'm in So. Oregon and I want to visit some friends up there kinda soon and I want to schedule it around a visit to ALO to pick up some Cascades in person.... because I'm an immature geek. :) I love the new line up, it's like you're reading my mind for everything I've always wanted but never knew I did.

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #262 of 3,483
Shame the cable isn't that great but at least aftermarket cables are generally cheap, easily accessible and can even provide enhancements to the sound (should you believe in that stuff, like I do lol)

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #263 of 3,483
Shame the cable isn't that great but at least aftermarket cables are generally cheap, easily accessible and can even provide enhancements to the sound (should you believe in that stuff, like I do lol)

Let's wait and get additional thoughts on the cable. Since Campfire is an outgrowth of ALO audio, I've found their cables to be consistently excellent...

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #264 of 3,483
Let's wait and get additional thoughts on the cable. Since Campfire is an outgrowth of ALO audio, I've found their cables to be consistently excellent...
Now that they did away with the memory wire on the new cables that's the biggest positive lol

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #267 of 3,483
The cable itself is actually quite nice; it's soft and holds little to no memory. It's just the darn microphone!
Yup, nothing wrong with the cable, it's nice. Great if you use a mic...I don't though. It shouldn't bother me that it's there, it doesn't affect the sound quality at all...but. It's like a sprig of Parsley on top of my omelette. I just can't have it there, it's got to come off quick. haha

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #268 of 3,483
How do you compare the comet with ibasso it 03? Is it better?
I have both of these. You would not be disappointed with either one sonically. The Comets have a more muscular center. Super great for Rock music of all kind, Country-ish/Americana music is fantastic. Nice vocals. IT03 are more dispersed sounding...you could say wider soundstage or you could lean towards less cohesive in a musical sense. IT03 has more emphasis in the top end than the Comets, where the Comets aim right for the meat and potatoes. It's very well rounded sounding. The IT03's fit me like a glove, like they took a mold of my ear and made those just for me....but on comfort and form factor alone, I would choose the Comets. They are that comfortable for me. They are one of those very rare iems for me, they kind of just disappear where I don't really notice they are there.

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #270 of 3,483
Listening to the Comet right now as type this. I like the signature out of the box. Used the medium spinfits and swapped out the cable. While the quality of the cable that came with them was not bad, just can't do the controls portion. Using a Norne Vorpal instead. Using over the ear and found was more difficult to get the exact placement correct. Once I found that place, the sound was rich and full. The bass had nice impact, mids were sweet and robust. The treble was spot on but saw it a little spiky. Could've been the files I was using. Could be some poor quality mixed in. The hi-res stuff was sharp and sibilant-free. Using my X3iii as a source.

So after an hour, I find myself wanting to hear more. I think Ken nailed it with the tuning. I am using this to replace the IT01 that my son inherited from me. As I get more adjusted to the fit and sound, I think this will be a nice go to for me. Very glad I jumped on board with this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back