NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Apr 7, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #196 of 3,483
I just came back from Canjam as well and I agree with the Atlas impressions. It's a Vega on steroids. Bigger, cleaner, harder hitting, larger sound stage, but still smooth as silk.
If the Vega is a nice 32oz porterhouse steak, the Atlas is a 64oz tomahawk ribeye. I think it's a pretty amazing iem for what it is, but it's too much for me.
Build quality is rock solid.

The Comet was a miss for me. For $199, I expected a little more. Knowing what $199 can buy you in the Chi-Fi world, I think these are lacking in clarity and extension on both sides.
It's a very smooth iem, but I think you can do better for the money without looking too hard. Build quality was also amazing on these. I hope he continues with this line and adds a multi-driver BA or a hybrid down the road. I actually like the housing on these iems.
Thanks for the impressions. Do they have the Atlas available for purchase? I’m going to CanJam tomorrow to try out. I also want to try Vega and Andromeda. Are those also available for purchase there?

Apr 7, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #197 of 3,483
It's not out yet. Pre-orders are open now, and shipping in May I believe.
Not sure about the other existing iems, but I think you may be able too. They had Comets for purchase today.

Apr 7, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #199 of 3,483

It's got bass...and it sounds good :)

I agree with you. It does have a surprisingly good quantity and quality of bass. LIstening to the Comets in a quiet environment (not at CanJam next to a heavy breather), you can really get the correct timbre of bass notes. Meaning, a Fender bass sounds like a Fender bass, and an acoustic stand up bass sounds correct to it's acoustic form. This is a good thing, because the bass is not hidden or recessed. Some bass in this price range is as plentiful but lack the detail which reduces those bass notes to sound like Midi representations. I hate those kind of earphones. This is not one of those.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #200 of 3,483

The Atlas is an impressive headphone and I would take it over many of its more expensive competitors at the show. I may have a preference for the CA sound. It hits hard and might be extreme for some. However, it does it in a collective manner and is not sloppy at all. Anyway, back to your question. Two reasons: one is that I'm not into this hobby as I was a year ago but still like to check out the new stuff and two I kinda compare it to a good movie with a pretty good sequel where you end up liking the original more kinda like Guardians of the Galaxy. Ironically however, If the Atlas came out first and the Vegas second, I would probably feel the same way, as in not liking the sequel as much. They are worth checking out.

Atlas impressions anyone? Anyone

Did you say more bass than Vega? :astonished:

Yeah, I said "oh crap" out loud when i heard some guy say that.

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #201 of 3,483
I just came back from Canjam as well and I agree with the Atlas impressions. It's a Vega on steroids. Bigger, cleaner, harder hitting, larger sound stage, but still smooth as silk.
If the Vega is a nice 32oz porterhouse steak, the Atlas is a 64oz tomahawk ribeye. I think it's a pretty amazing iem for what it is, but it's too much for me.
Build quality is rock solid.

The Comet was a miss for me. For $199, I expected a little more. Knowing what $199 can buy you in the Chi-Fi world, I think these are lacking in clarity and extension on both sides.
It's a very smooth iem, but I think you can do better for the money without looking too hard. Build quality was also amazing on these. I hope he continues with this line and adds a multi-driver BA or a hybrid down the road. I actually like the housing on these iems.
Thank you for the impression. I'm very interested in Atlas. How did the mid sound? Fuller mid than Vegas? I liked Vegas except for the slightly recessed mid. If Atlas has fuller mid with visceral hard hitting bass, I will buy them for sure.

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #202 of 3,483
The Atlas are harder hitting on the low end and more dynamic/faster than the Vegas. There also appears to be better separation and sound stage. I cannot comment on the quality of the bass vs the Vegas.

Think of them as Vegas on steroids.

The Comets are good all around headphones, probably one of the better IEMs $200 or less. I would have bought them if they had fuller bass.
I actually think Campfire did a disservice to the Comets at the show by presenting them to be listened to with Comply type tips. Everything that comply type tips do to the Comets are the reverse of what is good for them. The Spin Fits that they included in the package make them sound much cleaner and right where they should be. Which is clear but not sharp.

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #203 of 3,483
I actually think Campfire did a disservice to the Comets at the show by presenting them to be listened to with Comply type tips. Everything that comply type tips do to the Comets are the reverse of what is good for them. The Spin Fits that they included in the package make them sound much cleaner and right where they should be. Which is clear but not sharp.

Interesting, did it kill off some of the bass? That was my main issue really. It's pretty cool that they used Comlys, generally good stuff.

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #204 of 3,483
D6EF04AF-1E56-447A-998C-219BE23562DC.jpeg Got my Comet from CanJam earlier. Symbio W does this justice!

BTW, I find that Comet definitely scales up with more powerful Amp like Mojo

Apr 8, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #210 of 3,483
Went to CanJam and had a long talk w/ ken. I thought it is hard to beat the Comet in the < $199.00 range. The sound is very balance without emphasis in any fq.range Bass is not like Vega/ Atlas heavy but its there, Look and feel is very highend.

My interest is in the Atlas. There were only three pairs at the show otherwise I would have purchased a pair. First impression can be summarized in two words: big sound , I have been using the Vega for the past year. Comparing to the Vega, the Altas is like listening in a concert hall as oppose to a small jazz club. You are enveloped by an explosion of sound. I switched off the stock cable with my Norne Silvergarde S cable which is a heavy gauge (20 ga) solid silver cable and it improved the sound in terms of tightness and body. Some impressions here mentioned that the bass is hard hitting and emphasized but just like the Vega, it will settle down after 50 hours or so and Ken agrees with that assessment. It is slightly easier to drive than the Vega and seems to be just a touch brighter than the Vega in the mid range, but I am not sure if it is due to the fact that it is still new and has not been fully burned in yet. I switched back and forth with my Vega and the Vega sounded more lush and warm in comparison but I have a feeling that the Altas will get there in time also.

Personally I prefer the Atlas over the other iems in the 3000+ dollars. It is the best deal in that price range. At yesterday audition, the Vega sounded very different from the Atlas and I don't feel like wanting to let go of my Vega yet. They sound like two separate kind of sound, but I know once the Atlas settle down, it will move closer to the Vega but I cannot tell by how much at this point. I most likely will pick up the Atlas for it big sound. For those people who just purchased the Vega or the Atlas, I definitely will not rush to burn in the phone. I will enjoy the slam and the PRaT while it last, once it is gone, you will miss it big time.

Unfortunately, there is no show discount for the Atlas as they won't be releasing till the end of the month and Ken stated that the first batch has been all taken by some resellers.

Yes, Ken confirms that he is not offering the option for different connectors, but he did show me a heavier gauge (22 ga) silver or may be SPC cable which he said will sound better but I prefer my own custom Silvergarde.

I can see a lot of promise in the Atlas. Yes, I know at $1299.00 it is not a cheap iem but to me I prefer it over the Tia Forte and other iems two to three times above the Atlas straightly on sound alone.

One thing about the Vega/Atlas line is that they have character, and if you like their style nothing else will do it for you at any price range.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back