NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Jun 7, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #1,261 of 3,483
Thoughts on me picking up the comets as my gym IEM? I have the Polaris and the JH 16v2 Pros and I don't want to risk breaking those. I can probably pick up the comet at $170 on the classifieds or $200 new with warranty, which is honestly what I'm leaning towards.

Appreciate your advice guys! I do everything from lifting to running.
I use Comets along with the Westone Bluetooth dongle as my 5x5 gym companion and twice weekly mountain biking earbuds. They're great! They sound deep and rich and give my workout tracks enough body but also have some fair bit of sparkle up top. I wear them down rather than over ear. My only complaint—and it also holds true with the Atlas—is that no matter what, these don't seal nearly as well as my SE846s did. Meaning, I always hear wind when I'm mountain biking, and I always get a bit of outside noise making its way in. I tried every tip, even bought Comply large size foam tips, and they just don't isolate nearly as well as the SE846s, which pretty much blocked out existence itself. Again, minor quibble, and it's something I never would have thought about, but something I definitely noticed. Complaint aside, they make great exercise earbuds, and when I'm struggling on the squat rack AC/DC's Thunderstruck really sounds motivating out of them.

Jun 7, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #1,262 of 3,483
I've tried the Comets + BT1X cable before. SQ is ok and passable.

Don't expect it to be the same as wired though. Comets also isolate well with the stock marshmallow foam tips.

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #1,263 of 3,483
I've got to join this thread, buzzing over campfire,the Atlas looks like that Sony model they did, except that was plastic and this is stainless steel, it baffles me how speakers use materials that damp the sound yet in ears can use what material looks good to the consumer

Jun 7, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,264 of 3,483
I use Comets along with the Westone Bluetooth dongle as my 5x5 gym companion and twice weekly mountain biking earbuds. They're great! They sound deep and rich and give my workout tracks enough body but also have some fair bit of sparkle up top. I wear them down rather than over ear. My only complaint—and it also holds true with the Atlas—is that no matter what, these don't seal nearly as well as my SE846s did. Meaning, I always hear wind when I'm mountain biking, and I always get a bit of outside noise making its way in. I tried every tip, even bought Comply large size foam tips, and they just don't isolate nearly as well as the SE846s, which pretty much blocked out existence itself. Again, minor quibble, and it's something I never would have thought about, but something I definitely noticed. Complaint aside, they make great exercise earbuds, and when I'm struggling on the squat rack AC/DC's Thunderstruck really sounds motivating out of them.

Shure has the fit down and they really are perfect for riding. I have a pair just for road biking and gym.

Jun 7, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #1,265 of 3,483
I use Comets along with the Westone Bluetooth dongle as my 5x5 gym companion and twice weekly mountain biking earbuds. They're great! They sound deep and rich and give my workout tracks enough body but also have some fair bit of sparkle up top. I wear them down rather than over ear. My only complaint—and it also holds true with the Atlas—is that no matter what, these don't seal nearly as well as my SE846s did. Meaning, I always hear wind when I'm mountain biking, and I always get a bit of outside noise making its way in. I tried every tip, even bought Comply large size foam tips, and they just don't isolate nearly as well as the SE846s, which pretty much blocked out existence itself. Again, minor quibble, and it's something I never would have thought about, but something I definitely noticed. Complaint aside, they make great exercise earbuds, and when I'm struggling on the squat rack AC/DC's Thunderstruck really sounds motivating

Jun 7, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #1,266 of 3,483
What are your thoughts of the Comets vs. LZ A4 and maybe iSine 20? I've been looking at both as my next purchase.

For the price of the iSine 20, you can get an iSine LX or 10 and a pair of comets! They go well as a pairing as they are completely different earphones -- one being a planar open back and one being a very well sealed IEM.

iSine 10/LX with EQ sounds fantastic. I recently sold mine and upgraded to the UM ME.1 but the iSine 10 is one of the most comfortable and best sounding IEMs ive tried in its price range.

Jun 7, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #1,267 of 3,483
Also,

I reached out to campfire and asked about upgrading cables. They would offer me the ALO Ref 8 or Pure Silver at $149 (half the cost) instead of including the standard Comet cable. I can pair the copper cable with the comet and use either upgrade cable on polaris. Alternatively I could also pick up a Litz cable at $99.

Do you guys think the extra investment would be worth it?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #1,268 of 3,483
Also,

I reached out to campfire and asked about upgrading cables. They would offer me the ALO Ref 8 or Pure Silver at $149 (half the cost) instead of including the standard Comet cable. I can pair the copper cable with the comet and use either upgrade cable on polaris. Alternatively I could also pick up a Litz cable at $99.

Aside from the MIC control, I really like the stock Comet cable. It pairs up really well with the sound signature.

Really need to A/B test cables to see you prefer. However, I think the bass level just right on the Comets and any cable that would take away from it (silver), would be detracting from it imo.

Jun 7, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #1,269 of 3,483
Also,

At CanJam I asked Ken what was the best cable for the Polaris, he said the stock copper.

So I wouldn't get the Pure Silver for the Comet since it's a BA. Pure Silver is best for the Atlas or Vega.The SXC is a much better cable. I use it withy Andromeda andVega. Ken also commented here that it's also the for the Atlas.

Jun 7, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #1,270 of 3,483
I know this is rather off-topic but I just purchased a used Nova as a progression from my Comets. I guess Campfire's strategy of using the Comet as an "entry" into the brand works.

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #1,271 of 3,483
Jun 8, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #1,273 of 3,483
Jun 8, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #1,274 of 3,483
I need help...!

The budget is being stretched like an occy strap (sp?) such that I might have to go with the Sennheiser IE800 S over the Atlas. In so doing I will have to go without craft beer (my other consuming habit - I mean hobby -!).

Even if it means having to settle for filling my fridge with domestic beer in lieu of going out and enjoying the good stuff... I know the sacrifice will be worth it.

The IE 800 S has a nice overall presentation and sound signature, but there are far too many glaring imperfections. Moreover, the IEs are devoid of the same dynamic enthusiasm.

Craft beer will always be there.

I resolved my own quandary.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back