New: Brainwavz R3
Oct 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #31 of 157
  More talk on the R3, i like :)

@scrypt - I actually didn't really make comparisons to the sonic attributes between the R3 and TF10 (not that i remember, correct me if i am wrong), i did make comparisons to their size in discussion with the R3 looking like frankenbolts, much like the TF10 can look like and same with sony new XBA earphones and many of the newer gen bluetooth earphones when they are in someones ears. I only really made public statements on sonic comparisons with two JVC models (their dual and triple dynamic driver earphones, can't remember the model names at this time).

Keep in mind the R3 has been in the works for almost a year and almost through out the year it went through many physical and sonic changes, so some of my earlier comments on sound may not reflect the final version that people are testing now due to tuning changes.

We did have a R3 made in black, it didn't look nice but that was down to the method of anodizing, there are other ways to color metal and that affects the finishing quite a lot, its simply a matter of having time to try different colors and finishes, if we can get a black R3 made that looks slick then you can probably expect to see it down the road.

The reason there are no headset version of the R3 or any in our new line up is that our team wants to design one from the ground up, most others in this industry pick off the shelve mic/remotes and customize the exterior look, i am not really satisfied with these off the shelf solutions and i want to spend more time creating a good, durable and long lasting mic/remote that can be used/adapted to all our current and future models.

Amping does help with the R3.

Raz:

Actually, comments comparing the R3 to the TF10s sound-wise were made by a Brainwavz rep (whom I assumed to be you, since you're the public face) on at least two occasions.  One was on the mp4nation page on facebook, where the R3 was said to sound like "the TF-10, only with more feel."  I can't link to that comment because of the way FB is set up, but it's easy to find.  

The other statement was similar, occurred during the development stage, and was on a public forum; I'll try to track it down again and you can tell me whether the person representing Brainwavz was you or someone else.  It wasn't on the Hello, World thread and it might not have been in the mp4nation forums at all.

The mention of the black anodized version and your comment was purely to illustrate that you seem far more modest than many other headphone makers and reps on Head-fi, and that that is both amusing and refreshing.

WRT your mention of creating headsets "from the ground up":  It sounds as though you're saying you'll create a single separate headset with a particular set of features, tier and sound signature rather than offering any other models in headset versions.   Did I understand you correctly?

I mentioned your comment on amping because hearing the R3 amped might change a listener's perception of its sound signature (especially when discussing its representation of lower frequencies).  It would be good to hear about the differences, which you mentioned briefly on another site and in another thread.

Edit - A few corroborating links:

Head-fi users who also read comparisons by Raz to the TF-10:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631240/brainwavz-r1-review/600#post_8997407
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-brainwavz-delta-r3-dual-dynamic-pg948-onkyo-phones-pg-904-kef-m200-pg835-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724/14385

Comment by "MP4Nation" on the facebook post, "The new Brainwavz R3 will blow your mind" (November 30, 2012):

"It will stick to being two drivers. The design is quite different from the traditional earphone design, this may not sit well with people. The sound is really good, at its current tuning its got the sound of a TF10 but with a bit more feeling."

https://www.facebook.com/mp4nation/posts/496501617038658

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #32 of 157
Microphonics are not bad with the R3 and isolation is good as well, much better than the KEF M200. The cable is heavy though so does need to be managed. Not much wind today so can't comment on it much yet but another IEM I had with me had some wind noise while the R3 had none.

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #33 of 157
Microphonics are not bad with the R3 and isolation is good as well, much better than the KEF M200. The cable is heavy though so does need to be managed. Not much wind today so can't comment on it much yet but another IEM I had with me had some wind noise while the R3 had none.

The over-ear insertion helps a lot.  But compared to others worn over the ear, the R3's thick cable doesn't seem to help :wink:  That must be just me I guess :p

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #34 of 157
I agree, the length of the memory wire was actually a bit awkard. I poked my jacket when I first put it over thus making it so I had to angle the memory wire to face forward. Not even an actual problem as much as it kinda indicates the length of the memory wire. Maybe an inch shorter on both sides?

@Raz
Thank you for the info about the Delta's having another type of foam Comply. I didn't realize that upon first seeing it.

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #35 of 157
I would agree with the length of the memory wire as well.

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #36 of 157
Still have an unclear idea about the R3 sound signature.
Could anyone please make a sound signature comparison with one of these earphones I own?
- Brainwavz B2/Rockit Sounds R-50
- UE900
- T-Peos H200
Thanks

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #38 of 157
I have really just started listening to my pair, I've got about a week in on it now. I like them, they have a warm spacious sound to them made even better by using my new HTC 8X phone with it's Beats amp chip built in(a 2 db boost). It sounds much better to me amped than not, I'm agreeing with all of you on that one. The memory wire just plain is a pain to use, especially if you take them on and off more than a few times during a trip...using the case to store them makes it even more of a pain to use as they have to be bent up to fit in it. It still takes me a few minutes each and every time to get them to fit comfy every time I put them on, and that's too long IMHO. Do keep in mind I'm not the biggest fan of over the ear IEM's to begin with, if I have to go through the trouble of bending memory wire to get a good seal, I'd rather just use a set of over the ear headphones and be done with it, it's so much easier to me. I think a short term fix for this might be to use pre made over the ear hangers and just fit the memory wire into them . This would help them to keep their shape easily and not make it so you have to keep on reshaping them each and every time you use them. Just a suggestion. 

Getting back to my initial impressions, the R3's are a sturdy set of IEM's, built like a tank aptly describes them. Raz and his crew are definitely taking durability issues to heart and are building/designing better built IEM's. The shear size of these may be daunting at first, but you soon get used to them and their size turns into a non issue. The thick cabling is not prone to kinking up, something else I like a lot. My fav tips are, almost as always on all of my IEM's , Comply. They just seal so much better for me than say double or triple flanged silicone. YMMV here, of course. For now that's all I have to add to this discussion on these, after a full burn in and a few more weeks of usage I'll chime back in. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #40 of 157
Anyone notice thag the wire leading to the bass driver is exposed? I wonder if this could lead to issues when used in drizzely weather.

do mean the copper running the length of the seam on the body? If that is the wire between them I hope it's coated. I say the color but initially thought is was for esthetics but I think your right in that it is the wire going to the other speaker.

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #41 of 157
OK UE900 vs R3 listening to Collin James tune "Down in the Bottom" using my computer playing out a Little Dot DAC1 and an Indeed Tube Amp.

R3 - neutral sound with the OK detail but feels like it is missing something in the mids. This headphone is very smooth and clean, the comfort and smoothness mean they will never be a fatiguing IEM. But they are not a super resolving IEM with tons of detail and the beass and treble are both on the polite side.

UE-900 - neutral sound with lots of detail, bass is tight and punchy, mids are crisp and detailed, treble is detailed and crisp but never sibilant. The headphone is comfortable and while detailed and punchy also can be listened for extended periods without fatigue in my opinion.

I will be honest. The UE900 slays the R3 in terms of detail and dynamics. But at 3-4 times the cost I would have been unhappy if it didn't. This isn't to say the R3 is no good, it just isn't up to slaying the UE900. If you have heard the UE900 and find it's detail to much or find it edgy then the R3 would be an excellent alternative as it's more polite signature would suite you very well. They do share a similar type of signature though in that they are both neutral and slightly on the bright side. I want to be clear though. The UE900 is my FAVORITE BA based IEM I own. So there is bias on my part towards it's sound.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #42 of 157
Anyone notice thag the wire leading to the bass driver is exposed? I wonder if this could lead to issues when used in drizzely weather.

There is a small crack on my housing, each of them, that exposes the wires inside.  

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #43 of 157
again I thought that crack was by design and still do. Razz, can you confirm this seam/crack on the one side of the casing with the copper wire is by design or not and if that wire is coated or not if it is connecting the two speakers together.

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #44 of 157

do mean the copper running the length of the seam on the body? If that is the wire between them I hope it's coated. I say the color but initially thought is was for esthetics but I think your right in that it is the wire going to the other speaker.

I can't think of any other thing that wire could lead to except for the bass driver

There is a small crack on my housing, each of them, that exposes the wires inside.  

Yeah, that's what I mean. I was just wondering if that could have ill effects such as maybe greater chance of wear and tear from normal use or exposure to the elements that reduces its life as well as water hazards.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #45 of 157
The small grove going up the body between the top and bottom driver is by design, the cables are covered in enamel and on the final production versions they are each covered in very thin, clear plastic tubing for better isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back