New: Brainwavz R3
Nov 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #61 of 157
  @scrypt We do make changes to design or build when we see a common problem, should we see a trend of feedback from current R3 owners on the memory cable being too long we will then make some changes to any subsequent production runs to reduce the length. As the R3 has only just been released, we'll be waiting for at least a month of two to hear what people post on forums and also what they share with us in private on the design.

Yes, I realize it's premature to expect feedback-fueled finessing, which is why I can safely bray you answered my questions (as to the possibility and timeframe of changes) to my complete satisfaction.  I'll be waiting to see what happens.  

Sometimes it's as fun to watch others early-adopt a piece of kit as it is to be the one who does the adopting.

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #62 of 157
  jant71 thanks for posting review and even more happy that you enjoyed them, i hope others find them to their liking as you have.

@scrypt We do make changes to design or build when we see a common problem, should we see a trend of feedback from current R3 owners on the memory cable being too long we will then make some changes to any subsequent production runs to reduce the length. As the R3 has only just been released, we'll be waiting for at least a month of two to hear what people post on forums and also what they share with us in private on the design.

Add me as one of the user who would like to see this changed 
wink_face.gif

I have 2 problems, one, if I fit them in normally and let the memory wire run down, everytime I move my shoulders, the movement push both side and dislodge the IEM from my ear; and two, if I keep bending the memory wire behind the ear, for some reason it hurts my ear after about 10 minutes.

IMHO the length of the memory wire should only be enough to bend around the top of the ear lobe (ie. 5cm absolute maximum)

BTW - nice offering on the free R3 with DX50 purchase, absolutely superb deal razzer 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #63 of 157
Looks like the memory wires are rubbing people the wrong way! Sorry, had to do it
tongue.gif

How about no memory wire at all but include ear guides. I think that first section really need not change outside of keeping the metal wire out. Then people have a choice and you get an accessory that can be used with other phones. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #64 of 157
  Looks like the memory wires are rubbing people the wrong way! Sorry, had to do it
tongue.gif

How about no memory wire at all but include ear guides. I think that first section really need not change outside of keeping the metal wire out. Then people have a choice and you get an accessory that can be used with other phones. 

+10000

Brilliant idea, if the memory wire can be rid of completely and replaced by ear guide, that would be superb

I've never had any problem with over ear fitting of any IEM without a memory wire - even GR07 without an ear guide, for some reason cables sit snuggly around my ear lobe

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #67 of 157
I get this IEM as free gift with iBasso DX50 from MP4 Nation. 
I'm surprised about their comfort looking at them. The full metal housing is pretty good and seems very durable. The cable is robust too. As sound quality these are good. Natural sound, with good bass, mids and slighty recessed high (maybe because I compare them to UE900 and TF with their unbeatable trebles)..

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #68 of 157

I wonder whether there's a chance of R's implementing a shorter or less problematic cable.  Does Brainwavz ever do that sort of revision to an active product?

The reference speaker analogy's completely apt -- I didn't want to be the one to say it because I haven't heard the R3. But that aspect alone makes me want to hear and potentially own a purr (insert hedonistic critter), since I prefer a flatter sound myself and that's not where IEMs seem to be veering of late.

They actually did it , there is a second version of the R! with memory wire added to the cable

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #69 of 157
Just got mine with my DX50 as well and im keeping these. Like everyone else... Im
Baffled at how they fit. How do they fit? I dont know but they do!! The cable though... Is a bit of a hassle for me. Overall sound has a slight bump in the bass and a nice airy treble. Wuite an enjoyable sound. If it werent for the cable i think these woyld be pretty easy to recommend

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #70 of 157
Just got mine with my DX50 as well and im keeping these. Like everyone else... Im
Baffled at how they fit. How do they fit? I dont know but they do!! The cable though... Is a bit of a hassle for me. Overall sound has a slight bump in the bass and a nice airy treble. Wuite an enjoyable sound. If it werent for the cable i think these woyld be pretty easy to recommend

I don't like their treble instead... 

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #71 of 157
Treble seems interesting... It doesnt hve much energy to me and maybe a bit rolled off? But it has air to it... Not sure how i feel bout it. But i do enjoy the fact its quite a smooth signature

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #73 of 157
Some people have found that there is a problem with the connector on the R3, if they move it they get a lot of distortion or sound cuts out. If you have this issue then the plug is dirty, if you take a alcohol based wipe or any cleaning contact solution and rub down the plug it will then work properly and not have this issue. Below is what i posted in the DX50 thread on this issue:

Hi

We've been looking into this issue with the Brainwavz R3 as we have had a few people with the same issue. We went through some of the R3 stock we had and found one that has the same issue and looked into it. It seems that during soldering process during the assembly of the plug and cable some residual flux has been left. our other speculation is that during one of the final stages of QC the R3 housing is cleaned with a oil based liquid, this removes any dirt or markings from the manufacturing process, we belive some of the line workers may have also cleaned the plug with the same cloth which then lest oil residue on the plug.

This is not something that is easily noticed and our QC process for the R3 production was not checking for this as it would not have been something spotted during the audio check of each unit. It will be something that will be checked on future production runs.

I've found using a alcohol based cleaning tissue/wet wipe can sufficiently clean the connector to remove any unwanted residue.

Sorry about this and i do thank the Head-fi community for bringing this to our attention. We'll make sure this doesn't happen again.

Raz

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #74 of 157
Dec 13, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #75 of 157

Users who are viewing this thread

Back