New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Apr 3, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #1,351 of 1,956
@Shane D

Well, as I said, I actually prefer my t5p.2 straight off the DFR, not by a small margin. There is an incredible sense of air and transparency from this combo, and it suffers when an amp is added. The imaging with t5p+DFR is close to perfect, I always get a feeling like I‘m there when listening to nicely recorded acoustic music with my eyes closed...

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #1,353 of 1,956
Need a portable source, Shane. I am leaning on new fiio M11, but audiophiles does not prefer any fiios with theTOTL. Thats why, I consider AK SR15 as a potential husband to T5p.

BTW, the Number with 5 digits on left side of headband does not match one (LPN HE) on the box. Is it something wrong with my pair?

I doubt AK SR15 will sound any better than a DFR. The DAC in that unit is definitively not better than a sabre... The numbers on the box and the headphone shold match, my for sure do...

Apr 3, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #1,354 of 1,956
Need a portable source, Shane. I am leaning on new fiio M11, but audiophiles does not prefer any fiios with theTOTL. Thats why, I consider AK SR15 as a potential husband to T5p.

BTW, the Number with 5 digits on left side of headband does not match one (LPN HE) on the box. Is it something wrong with my pair?

I wouldn't worry too much about what audiophiles think. FiiO makes very nice DAP's. I looked hard at an X7ii before I went back to Sony. Astell Kearns is beautful stuff that I am sure sounds very good, but yikes on some of the prices. The Sony's, FiiO's and I am sure the AK's put out enough power that you will not not need an amp. Especially if you get a balanced cable. The T5p's are ridiculously easy to run. And you can always EQ in a bit of bass, which I do.

No idea on the serial number thing.

Shane D

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #1,355 of 1,956
@Shane D

Well, as I said, I actually prefer my t5p.2 straight off the DFR, not by a small margin. There is an incredible sense of air and transparency from this combo, and it suffers when an amp is added. The imaging with t5p+DFR is close to perfect, I always get a feeling like I‘m there when listening to nicely recorded acoustic music with my eyes closed...

I don't find that the T5's need amping at all, except maybe to change/alter the sound. And that is definitely personal preference. To me, they sound great out of my DAP, balanced. I also enjoy them out of my desk top amp, but I am curious what the A5 does to them. I love having a variety to change things up.

Shane D

Apr 3, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,356 of 1,956
Agree, and I see DFR as a DAC, not as an amp. Even crippled european iphone or ipod touch can drive t5p to unbearable listening volumes.

My mobile DAP is actually a 5g ipod touch with a permanently attached DFR. An ipodtouch is an ideal source, as it would provide bit-perfect output and is supporting all streaming platforms, and a DFR is as good as it can get for such a portable device...From an economical point of view, a very reasonable combo, better than most dedicated DAPs...

Apr 4, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #1,358 of 1,956

BTW, the Number with 5 digits on left side of headband does not match with one (LPN HE) on the box. Is it something wrong with my pair?

I use the Ibasso DX200 as a portable source. (with amp 8, which uses 4,4mm pentaconn conenctor)
The Beyers sound absolutely great on this.

Ibasso will come with a new player soon. The DX220. Maybe you should look at that

....The serial numbers on the phone and the box don't match?
Thats strange. Did you buy from a reliable source?

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #1,359 of 1,956
I use the Ibasso DX200 as a portable source. (with amp 8, which uses 4,4mm pentaconn conenctor)
The Beyers sound absolutely great on this.

Ibasso will come with a new player soon. The DX220. Maybe you should look at that

....The serial numbers on the phone and the box don't match?
Thats strange. Did you buy from a reliable source?

Amazon warehouse (open box). It is likely that someone might have changed the headphone. Yet, there is no problem at all.

yeah look forward to hearing from news about DX220. The head-fi community says the internal will be remain the same. Do you still have this combo (T5p and DX200)? Mine is on DFR.

Apr 9, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #1,360 of 1,956
Amazon warehouse (open box). It is likely that someone might have changed the headphone. Yet, there is no problem at all.

yeah look forward to hearing from news about DX220. The head-fi community says the internal will be remain the same. Do you still have this combo (T5p and DX200)? Mine is on DFR.

Yep, still own this combo.

I use the DX200 with IEM's outdoors.
Indoors with the Beyers

...what is DFR?

May 4, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #1,362 of 1,956
Hey guys
I really love the Beyerdynamic t5p gen 2 but I have an issue with the pads touching the tips of my ears. Anyone else have that issue and how to resolve it? A different set of pads that doesn't affect the sound? Thx

May 5, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #1,363 of 1,956
Hey guys
I really love the Beyerdynamic t5p gen 2 but I have an issue with the pads touching the tips of my ears. Anyone else have that issue and how to resolve it? A different set of pads that doesn't affect the sound? Thx

Happened to me too, after playing with the angle and forward/backward position on my head I was able to resolve it. If that doesn’t work, try extending the cups further down and then “scooping” your ear up as you cinch it down to the correct length.

May 10, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #1,364 of 1,956
Hello. I know we have members from around the world here, but I wanted to try speak to a much narrower group of readers. I am located in Halifax, Nova Scotia in Canada. I came across a thread where a Head-Fi'er had wondered about organizing a get together in Halifax. I wanted to post in this thread and talk to anybody that lives in or around Halifax or even if you were planning to visit the area in June. Just food for thought. If anyone is interested, you could post a reply in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/halifax-ns-meetup-2019.905499/

It would be cool if we could find five or six people with a few cool toys each. It could be a very interesting afternoon or evening.

Shane D

May 22, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #1,365 of 1,956
I just got these today, since the price has come down recently. So far I'm satisfied with the overall sound. About the amount of lows and highs I expected from reading some reviews + knowing what to expect with the "Beyer house sound." Better resolution and spaciousness than Beyer's traditional line-up.

What I am having a problem with is the comfort. The cup is noticeably smaller than the usual size (e.g. 770). As a result, they don't completely cover my ears. I can "feel them" at the top and bottom of my ears after a short time.

I'm not really a fan of pad-swapping since I've had bad experiences with sound profiles changing for the worse on other headphones when switching to ZMFs, Brainwavs, etc. But does anyone have a suggestion for a pad-swap I can at least look into? Perhaps some velours from another Beyer set that have the same cup size? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back