New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
May 22, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #1,366 of 1,956
I just got these today, since the price has come down recently. So far I'm satisfied with the overall sound. About the amount of lows and highs I expected from reading some reviews + knowing what to expect with the "Beyer house sound." Better resolution and spaciousness than Beyer's traditional line-up.

What I am having a problem with is the comfort. The cup is noticeably smaller than the usual size (e.g. 770). As a result, they don't completely cover my ears. I can "feel them" at the top and bottom of my ears after a short time.

I'm not really a fan of pad-swapping since I've had bad experiences with sound profiles changing for the worse on other headphones when switching to ZMFs, Brainwavs, etc. But does anyone have a suggestion for a pad-swap I can at least look into? Perhaps some velours from another Beyer set that have the same cup size? Thanks.

You may want to try DT1770 velour pads. I have been using rhem on my T5p since first day of ownership.

May 22, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #1,367 of 1,956
You may want to try DT1770 velour pads. I have been using rhem on my T5p since first day of ownership.

Thanks for the quick response. I actually own the 770 Pros, do you know if those are the same size pads as the 1770? From eye-balling it, it looks like the 770 pads would be too big for the T5P cup, but I'll trust you if you say they fit.

Edit: the only reason I'm hesitant to try without getting some advice first, is because it feels like the stock T5P pads would be really hard to get back on due to their stiffness around the circumference.

May 22, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #1,368 of 1,956
Thanks for the quick response. I actually own the 770 Pros, do you know if those are the same size pads as the 1770? From eye-balling it, it looks like the 770 pads would be too big for the T5P cup, but I'll trust you if you say they fit.

Edit: the only reason I'm hesitant to try without getting some advice first, is because it feels like the stock T5P pads would be really hard to get back on due to their stiffness around the circumference.

I don't know about the 770 pads. But the DT1770 pads fit my 1st Gen T5p perfectly.

May 22, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #1,369 of 1,956
I just got these today, since the price has come down recently. So far I'm satisfied with the overall sound. About the amount of lows and highs I expected from reading some reviews + knowing what to expect with the "Beyer house sound." Better resolution and spaciousness than Beyer's traditional line-up.

What I am having a problem with is the comfort. The cup is noticeably smaller than the usual size (e.g. 770). As a result, they don't completely cover my ears. I can "feel them" at the top and bottom of my ears after a short time.

I'm not really a fan of pad-swapping since I've had bad experiences with sound profiles changing for the worse on other headphones when switching to ZMFs, Brainwavs, etc. But does anyone have a suggestion for a pad-swap I can at least look into? Perhaps some velours from another Beyer set that have the same cup size? Thanks.
Swapping pads (either DT770 / DT1770) for velour ones will alter sound and sound blockage (a lot!). I had more luck with Dekoni (sheepskin) pads for the Fostex TH900; these are a bit bigger than the beyerdynamic ones and fit quite nicely. If you have issues getting the pads back on by using the twist method: the ring is completely removable and snaps back in place by aligning the teeth at the back end correctly, so pay attention when you pull/pry them off.

May 27, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #1,371 of 1,956
May 27, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #1,372 of 1,956
8410951_thumb.jpg
I use the same balance cable for both 'phones (not this one). If it can clear the Meze, it'll work great with the T5p.2.

Shane D
Thanks for your reply , i have doubt because the cup's jack 3.5 terminaison on the T5P 2cond gen are not exactly the same that on the Meze's cable
Meze's :

Attachments

• 8410951_thumb.jpg
    8410951_thumb.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #1,373 of 1,956

Thanks for your reply , i have doubt because the cup's jack 3.5 terminaison on the T5P 2cond gen are not exactly the same that on the Meze's cable
Meze's :

The Meze connectors are a little weird looking. This is because they have to be long and thin to fit into the Meze ear cups. The upside is that they will pretty much fit any kind of headphone.
If you have a flush headphone jack, like the HiFiman HE4XX's, it does stick out a little, but it's fine.

Shane D

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #1,374 of 1,956
The Meze connectors are a little weird looking. This is because they have to long and thin to fit into the Meze ear cups. The upside is that they will pretty much fit any kind of headphone.
If you have a flush headphone jack, like the HiFiman HE4XX's, it does stick out a little, but it's fine.

Shane D
OK,
Thanks a lot to you
Regards

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #1,376 of 1,956
The Meze cables are mono 3.5mm, while the T5p.2 are stereo 3.5mm. One have to make sure the contacts are in the same sequence, otherwise one may drive the T5p.2 with reverse +/- polarity with the Meze cable. It will still sound but with phase reversed.

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #1,377 of 1,956
The Meze cables are mono 3.5mm, while the T5p.2 are stereo 3.5mm. One have to make sure the contacts are in the same sequence, otherwise one may drive the T5p.2 with reverse +/- polarity with the Meze cable. It will still sound but with phase reversed.
I don't know ,
if it is phase reversed what happens ?

Jun 5, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #1,378 of 1,956
reversed phase: just sounding weird, most noticeable with acoustic music.

Jun 5, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #1,379 of 1,956

So, you are saying that Meze's balanced cable is mono? That seems pretty odd.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back