New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jul 2, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #2,896 of 3,925
A month ago my T1 2nd gen left driver died and Beyerdynamic replaced both of them with a matched pair via a local service. Today when I received them the headband was heavily damaged. The faux leather headband is known to have problems with durability but from a few scratched caused by me, when receiving them they were looking like:

Beyerdynamic-T1-Change-Headband-01.jpg

Being a Beyerdynamic fan for a long time, I had a second pair of T1 2nd gen and also a fully functional pair of T5p 1st generation with real leather headband.
After a few hours of browsing I realized that the headband can be easily changed via 4 screws and that the T1/T5p both generation are compatible.
So the decision was simple, in 10 minutes I was able to exchange the headbands between my old T1 and the T5p even if one was 2nd gen and the other was 1st gen.

Beyerdynamic-T1-Change-Headband-02.jpg

And the T1 now looks much better:

Beyerdynamic-T1-Change-Headband-03.jpg

So , here are my 2 pairs of T1 2nd generation, one with original headband (right) and the one with replaced headband from previous generation (left).

Beyerdynamic-T1-Change-Headband-04.jpg

So if others have the same problems like me they can look for damaged pairs of T1/T5p and regardless of the generation they will work and will be very easy to change.

I do hope Beyerdynamic will release a V3 with a decent headband, because both generations were problematic in my opinion: 1st generation of real leather was becoming greasy after 1 year of use and the 2nd generation has big problems with reliability.

Anyway, I hope my post helps someone.

PS. Beyerdynamic, you should replace all the headbands via your contracted local services.

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #2,897 of 3,925
A month ago my T1 2nd gen left driver died and Beyerdynamic replaced both of them with a matched pair via a local service. Today when I received them the headband was heavily damaged. The faux leather headband is known to have problems with durability but from a few scratched caused by me, when receiving them they were looking like:

Beyerdynamic-T1-Change-Headband-01.jpg

Being a Beyerdynamic fan for a long time, I had a second pair of T1 2nd gen and also a fully functional pair of T5p 1st generation with real leather headband.
After a few hours of browsing I realized that the headband can be easily changed via 4 screws and that the T1/T5p both generation are compatible.
So the decision was simple, in 10 minutes I was able to exchange the headbands between my old T1 and the T5p even if one was 2nd gen and the other was 1st gen.

Beyerdynamic-T1-Change-Headband-02.jpg

And the T1 now looks much better:

Beyerdynamic-T1-Change-Headband-03.jpg

So , here are my 2 pairs of T1 2nd generation, one with original headband (right) and the one with replaced headband from previous generation (left).

Beyerdynamic-T1-Change-Headband-04.jpg

So if others have the same problems like me they can look for damaged pairs of T1/T5p and regardless of the generation they will work and will be very easy to change.

I do hope Beyerdynamic will release a V3 with a decent headband, because both generations were problematic in my opinion: 1st generation of real leather was becoming greasy after 1 year of use and the 2nd generation has big problems with reliability.

Anyway, I hope my post helps someone.

PS. Beyerdynamic, you should replace all the headbands via your contracted local services.
Even better, reuse the design of the DT770 headband, so customers can replace the whole thing easily. You wouldn't have to leave the snaps visible if you wanted to make it look fancy. I think the way the current one is attached is a design flaw, and Of the three pairs of this style I have (Amiron, T1, and T5p), they all have headband covering separating from the plastic housing just above where the serial number and "made in germany" labels are.

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #2,898 of 3,925
Hey guys,how is it going for everybody ?? I'm interested to buy a Beyerdynamic t1, I already own the amiron home but it's not going be a upgrade coz I'm gonna keep both...my main reason to buy it is to get the more noticably bigger soundstage and better imaging which everybody has been talking about...mainly for gaming and for classical or acoustic music. This thread has a lot of valuable information which I was going through last night Courtesy of u guys. Right now there is a deal going on focus camera and both versions of t1 are available at discounted price - t1 black edition - $649, t1 silver edition - $699, which has better soundstage ?? Better bass and treble ?? I also have a chance to have a t1 1st gen for $375 used mint condition which I think has the most expansive soundstage out of the three...pls help guys thank u

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #2,899 of 3,925
^Get the cheaper version:wink:
It’s the same headphone - same drivers - same baffle - same pads - same specs - same design...in a slightly different colourscheme that makes it “appear” less bright. It is the same sound though:)

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #2,900 of 3,925
^Get the cheaper version:wink:
It’s the same headphone - same drivers - same baffle - same pads - same specs - same design...in a slightly different colourscheme that makes it “appear” less bright. It is the same sound though:)
Ty so much for ur quick reply...T1gen2 Black edition is darker so it may have ever so slightly smaller soundstage than the T1gen2 Silver but again I understand that the difference will be subtle becoz it has the same drivers as u mentioned but I'm little worried becoz if the soundstage is just slightly better than amiron then I would be disappointed bcoz it's my main reason of buying it... thanks

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #2,901 of 3,925
Ty so much for ur quick reply...T1gen2 Black edition is darker so it may have ever so slightly smaller soundstage than the T1gen2 Silver but again I understand that the difference will be subtle becoz it has the same drivers as u mentioned but I'm little worried becoz if the soundstage is just slightly better than amiron then I would be disappointed bcoz it's my main reason of buying it... thanks
It is literally the same headphone. No difference whatsoever in sound between the black, silver and gold versions. There are however differences to be heard between T1 gen 1 and gen 2 - the former being the brightest of the two.

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #2,902 of 3,925
It is literally the same headphone. No difference whatsoever in sound between the black, silver and gold versions. There are however differences to be heard between T1 gen 1 and gen 2 - the former being the brightest of the two.
Agree completely.
It’s just a different paint job, that’s all.

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #2,904 of 3,925
It seems that the newer gen2 hps are darker sounding... strangely u have 2yr warranty for the black edition and 5yrs for the silver one. Can u compare the soundstage, imaging and vocal presentation between T1gen2 and amiron home ??
All T1.2 sound the same, irrespective of the paint colour/finish.
The T1 first generation sound different to the second generation, with less bass slam, but slightly clearer lower-mids.

Jul 18, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #2,905 of 3,925
Haha... I've seen u arguing with ppl who said that the black one is darker btw u held up on ur opinion pretty well, I think the gen1 would be better for me then, I already have 650's, amiron and now if I get the T1gen2 Black then it will be the darkest hp collection !! Bt I hate Beyer being racist...y 2yr warranty for the black edition ?? It's also a t1 also a flagship... perhaps even more sexier looking

Jul 18, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #2,906 of 3,925
Even if technically there are the same drivers and everything, for me T1.2 S/N 4xxxx sounds darker than S/N3xxxx. I own 2 pairs and made a 1:1 comparison. Some claim there is a different foam density in the earpads which is changing a little bit the sound. At the moment my second pair is borrowed but I might one day exchange the pads just to check that. The only problem is that it will take an indefinitely amount of time. So what to say, identical headphones do not sound identical to me even if there is only a slight difference. Most probably T1.2 black produced in the same period with the silver S/N 4xxxx is considered darker by people owning earlier silver version. My expectations are that all headphone produced after a moment in time when they changed something to the earpads are darker, so if you buy now a black or silver one and you compare it with earlier production silver you will find it darker. The T1.1 vs T1.2 is exactly like it was described, less bass but clearer mids and much more treble. And last but not least not detachable cable vs detachable cable and real leather vs artificial leather headband, both with their pluses and minuses described in this thread. I would go for T1.2 silver S/N 3xxxx if I will have to choose but I am not sure if those are still available, mine was produced sometimes in 2015.

Jul 18, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #2,907 of 3,925
Even if technically there are the same drivers and everything, for me T1.2 S/N 4xxxx sounds darker than S/N3xxxx. I own 2 pairs and made a 1:1 comparison. Some claim there is a different foam density in the earpads which is changing a little bit the sound. At the moment my second pair is borrowed but I might one day exchange the pads just to check that. The only problem is that it will take an indefinitely amount of time. So what to say, identical headphones do not sound identical to me even if there is only a slight difference. Most probably T1.2 black produced in the same period with the silver S/N 4xxxx is considered darker by people owning earlier silver version. My expectations are that all headphone produced after a moment in time when they changed something to the earpads are darker, so if you buy now a black or silver one and you compare it with earlier production silver you will find it darker. The T1.1 vs T1.2 is exactly like it was described, less bass but clearer mids and much more treble. And last but not least not detachable cable vs detachable cable and real leather vs artificial leather headband, both with their pluses and minuses described in this thread. I would go for T1.2 silver S/N 3xxxx if I will have to choose but I am not sure if those are still available, mine was produced sometimes in 2015.
Ty so much for taking ur time to reply.. I've seen ur posts earlier in these thread and learnt a lot...t1 is a great headphone indeed, $375 for used t1 gen1(good condition) or $649 for T1gen2 Black (2yr warranty) ?? Also can u compare the t1 and Amiron Home

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #2,910 of 3,925
I honestly think this has infinitely more to do with hearing what you’re seeing ie a darker coloured headphone will sound warmer just as the warmer coloured copper cables provide warmth and the shiny brightly coloured ones add brightness. If you look at dacs and amps it’s the same thing: if the device has wood panels and looks old school analogue, well then it sounds like that unlike the newer Robocop-like gear that looks futuristic and metallic:wink:
We hear what we see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back