New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jul 18, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #2,911 of 3,925
I honestly think this has infinitely more to do with hearing what you’re seeing ie a darker coloured headphone will sound warmer just as the warmer coloured copper cables provide warmth and the shiny brightly coloured ones add brightness. If you look at dacs and amps it’s the same thing: if the device has wood panels and looks old school analogue, well then it sounds like that unlike the newer Robocop-like gear that looks futuristic and metallic:wink:
We hear what we see.
= =

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #2,916 of 3,925
Can anyone comment on the difference between T1 Gen 2 and Sennheiser HD800S. I have the HD800 and am wondering whether T1 Gen 2 offer enough difference to warrant a purchase? I also have the Hifiman Ananda and Sony MDR-Z7.
I have/use both HD800 and T1.2, and they are fundamentally different in their sound signatures that they're both worth using.
I use my HD800's for classical, and the T1.2's for jazz/easy-listening.

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #2,917 of 3,925
Even if technically there are the same drivers and everything, for me T1.2 S/N 4xxxx sounds darker than S/N3xxxx. I own 2 pairs and made a 1:1 comparison. Some claim there is a different foam density in the earpads which is changing a little bit the sound. At the moment my second pair is borrowed but I might one day exchange the pads just to check that. The only problem is that it will take an indefinitely amount of time. So what to say, identical headphones do not sound identical to me even if there is only a slight difference. Most probably T1.2 black produced in the same period with the silver S/N 4xxxx is considered darker by people owning earlier silver version. My expectations are that all headphone produced after a moment in time when they changed something to the earpads are darker, so if you buy now a black or silver one and you compare it with earlier production silver you will find it darker. The T1.1 vs T1.2 is exactly like it was described, less bass but clearer mids and much more treble. And last but not least not detachable cable vs detachable cable and real leather vs artificial leather headband, both with their pluses and minuses described in this thread. I would go for T1.2 silver S/N 3xxxx if I will have to choose but I am not sure if those are still available, mine was produced sometimes in 2015.

I own a T1.2 (s/n 34.9xx) and it's brighter (more energetic treble) than my T1.1 (s/n 16.8xx)

As a curious anecdote, I've bought a pair of original T1.2 earpads once and got two different types of them instead of a proper matching pair (different density that produced a different sound so I couldn't use them)

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #2,918 of 3,925
I own a T1.2 (s/n 34.9xx) and it's brighter (more energetic treble) than my T1.1 (s/n 16.8xx)

As a curious anecdote, I've bought a pair of original T1.2 earpads once and got two different types of them instead of a proper matching pair (different density that produced a different sound so I couldn't use them)
finally i think i got somebody who can clearly elaborate the sonical differences between t1gen1 and t1gen2

Jul 20, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #2,919 of 3,925
finally i think i got somebody who can clearly elaborate the sonical differences between t1gen1 and t1gen2

Hello,

Keep in mind I can only speak for my T1.1 and my T1.2.
You'll find multiple reports that suggest various silent revisions and/or significant variance among different units of the same model.

My Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.1 is much more in line with an AKG K702 in terms of tuning, but more refined and more resolving.
The sound presentation is airy and expansive, neutralish and slightly forward in the upper midrange.

My Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.2 sounds punchier, more compact, sharper and more relaxed in the upper mids.
The tuning improves the perception of black background.

T1.1 is more along the lines of being at a big concert hall, while T1.2 is more like being in a specialized and moderately sized studio room.

Both very enjoyable headphones in my book.

Regards,
Me x3

Jul 20, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #2,920 of 3,925
Hello,

Keep in mind I can only speak for my T1.1 and my T1.2.
You'll find multiple reports that suggest various silent revisions and/or significant variance among different units of the same model.

My Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.1 is much more in line with an AKG K702 in terms of tuning, but more refined and more resolving.
The sound presentation is airy and expansive, neutralish and slightly forward in the upper midrange.

My Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.2 sounds punchier, more compact, sharper and more relaxed in the upper mids.
The tuning improves the perception of black background.

T1.1 is more along the lines of being at a big concert hall, while T1.2 is more like being in a specialized and moderately sized studio room.

Both very enjoyable headphones in my book.

Regards,
Me x3
Thank u for such an excellent comparison, it actually seems to me that the early production t1.gen2 had a more energetic treble but the newer T1gen2 including the t1 black edition has a much darker sound... personally I have the Amiron home which is already darker sounding and according to ur description I think the t1gen1 will be better suited for my taste also I like bass light hp headphones like dt 880,hd600,650 have the dt770,990, Amiron too bassy but good...also read ur t1 gen1 vs gen2 in some other thread which was pretty good as well. Sadly beyerdynamic has discontinued the gen1 and now comes the gen2 with a crap case...but it will NEVER have the premium feeling of the gen1...

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #2,921 of 3,925
I would say they took the right decision. I never used that big aluminium case, it is too big and heavy to take it with you. Instead they gave you a decent detachable cable which is much more important for the listening experience than a box.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #2,922 of 3,925
I would say they took the right decision. I never used that big aluminium case, it is too big and heavy to take it with you. Instead they gave you a decent detachable cable which is much more important for the listening experience than a box.
the detachable cable is a good option for me too not becoz i dont like swapping various colourful cables but i can replace them if the worn out or get damaged over time and obviously i'll get third paty cables as a replacement...i will agree on one point that the metal case is a bulkier and heavier and just becoz of that i have to pay like $30 dollars additional shipping charge to my carrier ayways but it had a premium feeling which i just love more in line with a flagship quality item...im getting those used for $375...pretty good deal right ??

Jul 22, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #2,923 of 3,925
I've just got a pair of these and wow I'm so impressed with my T1.2 black they are perfectly balanced, bass is great and the treble no fatigue can't believe I've waited so long to get a pair of these great hp's. I find them to be highly detailed and they play well with all genres I've noticed, it's an all rounder that's for sure very happy with my first beyerdynamic hp..

Jul 22, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #2,924 of 3,925
I've just got a pair of these and wow I'm so impressed with my T1.2 black they are perfectly balanced, bass is great and the treble no fatigue can't believe I've waited so long to get a pair of these great hp's. I find them to be highly detailed and they play well with all genres I've noticed, it's an all rounder that's for sure very happy with my first beyerdynamic hp..
/\ Agreed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back