New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
May 28, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #2,881 of 3,924
Who else thinks T1.G2 can benefit from a little bass boost? I adjusted the EQ 20 - 200 Hz. up 6 dB and it sounds richer and fuller to my ears.

May 29, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #2,882 of 3,924
I'm curious what amps people have found that paired amazingly with this T1, and what it did to the overall sound signature to make it that way for you?

As weird as this may sound, over the last couple of months I've been enjoying my 2nd Gen T1's through the headphone jack on my HP Omen Desktop computer. I have the one with the i7 that's clocked in at 3.2Ghz with a GTX 1060 GPU (if you wanted to do research on the amp and sound card combo). For gear I have the Schiit Uber Stack and the Gustard H10 amp and DAC X12. The Schiit gear is a bit more analytical sounding while the Gustard has a warming signature (heavily due to the H10 amp) with an ever so wider soundstage. My current amp and DAC combo is the Schiit Magni 2 Uber amp with my Gustard DAC X-12). I mixed those two because I like the more analytical nature of the Schiit Amp along with the Gustard DAC which is an outright better dac compared to my Modi 2U. It's very clean sounding with more power to it than the Modi 2U. I came to this conclusion when I realized I could power bookshelf speakers with just the Gustard DAC alone, something my Modi 2U DAC couldn't do. I know it's not an amplifier but whatever amp is inside the dac before it gets fed to the amp is clearly quite strong.

However, compared to all of this I find the headphone out on my HP Omen Desktop to be the most pleasurable. Certain parts of the instrumentals I found to be a bit more forefront such as string and percussion instruments, bass has more impact, the midrange is little more toned back (which solves an issue I had with the 2nd Gen T1's because I found the midrange to be a bit on the warm side to the extent the headphones almost sounded a tad bit veiled there. The treble is relatively the same between both setups, the HP Omen can sound a tad bit clearer here (which may be due to the toned back midrange allowing the treble to be more noticeable). There are no special sound effects enabled on my HP Omen, I made sure to disable anything that could alter the sound in any way. I'm curious as to why there's such a difference between the two. Also, is the midrange I'm hearing by default (aka through the solidstate Magni 2U Amp) considered Neutral or a tad bit warm? With the benchmark being the HD600's midrange since that's considered "neutral" from headphones standards based on what I've read online.

I personally have found my favourite pairing to be my Keces S3 running line out into the Feliks Audio Espressivo MKII. The Keces S3 is a very linear yet not clinical DAC and just sounds awesome, feeding the Espressivo MKII which is quite a balanced sounding tube amp that has an effortless sound just takes the edge off of any glare that headphones might have.

Together they just produce a sound that you can listen to for hours on end, with wonderful detail and extension on each end, yet with a fluidity that is so pleasant and easy to listen to.

May 30, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #2,883 of 3,924
I use T1.2 with both tube and solid state amps in the same time. I have the Beyerdynamic A2 and also a Feliks Audio Elise MK2 connected to a Chord Qutest. For me Qutest + Elise sounds incredible with rock, blues or acoustical music, while A2 might have a word in electronic / synthpop stuff. Elise is more euphoric and forgiving while A2 is crisper and somehow clinical. 85% of the time I prefer Elise, but from time to time I switch to A2 which for me is a kind of "reference" to evaluate specific tracks. Both amps are a good match for T1.2 depending on preference but I would advise to try them first with a tube amp. The tube amp provides the fuller sound and the best bass possible.

May 30, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #2,884 of 3,924
Hi.

I am using T1.2 with Auralic Taurus MKII paired with Rotel RDD 1580. Although i must admit that at some point the T1.2 is quite sibilant but this only happens when it is poorly mastered (mastering is quite "hot") or the singer is singing closed mic.

However, if the track is properly mastered, i am happy on the overall balance of it.

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #2,886 of 3,924
Does anyone know the future plans of Beyerdynamic with the T1 line-up? Mine are quite used, and I started to think about buying a next pair but I've seen that both "grey" and "black" versions are on discount on the official website and some other music shops. Do they plan to release a v3? It would be nice to know if it makes sense to wait and see or just look for the best offer.

Jun 10, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #2,887 of 3,924
IMG_20190610_192026.jpg
IMG_20190610_192039.jpg

Jun 11, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #2,888 of 3,924
Did you had the chance to compare the Silver Edition vs the Black Edition you have there? Many claim it is only a cosmetic difference, but still, there are a few who claim that the Black Edition has a darker sound because of different density of the foam in the earpads.

Jun 11, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #2,889 of 3,924
Did you had the chance to compare the Silver Edition vs the Black Edition you have there? Many claim it is only a cosmetic difference, but still, there are a few who claim that the Black Edition has a darker sound because of different density of the foam in the earpads.

I may be wrong, but when Beyerdynamic presents a specific edition model like a DT990 Pro Black only the aesthetic is changed to the original model. I already bought the silver model of T1 Gen2, I did not compare it to this black version. By cons one thing is certain for me, I rejected this T1 Gen2 because I did not have the right amplifier. And I must know that I am a big fan of the brand Beyerdynamic, I just resell a DT1990 Pro that I have symmetrized to pass on this T1 gen2. I find that listening to the T1 gen2 is more relaxed, I find it best in multimedia for much of my use. This does not stop me from listening to music with T1 gen2 but with this headphone I focus on rock / electro / pop. Moreover it is also one of the helmets to see the most comfortable headphone I tested, those who are looking for high fidelity at Beyerdynamic will have to go to the DT1990 Pro. Those who have a power amp will also have to switch to another model, besides I am amazed at the low power offered by the amp Beyerdynamic A2 I owned. For now, the Monolith Cavalli Platinum is the best amp that I listened with this T1 gen2 !

Jun 11, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #2,890 of 3,924

The black one sounds for me better: Post #2798

Jun 12, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #2,891 of 3,924
Was all set to buy T5P MK2 then noticed the T1's, could anyone advise how do these compare?

Jun 12, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #2,892 of 3,924
Was all set to buy T5P MK2 then noticed the T1's, could anyone advise how do these compare?
If you enjoy music more get the T1's. They are the more musical headphone. The T5P's are easy to drive but lack some of the soul that the T1's have in presenting music. It also depends on your gear. The T1's require more power to sound good.

Jun 13, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #2,893 of 3,924
Yes, and the Black sound much better, more musical with more body
64576620_902818003396895_7167109731830464512_n.jpg

Jun 13, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #2,894 of 3,924
Then it seems I have made the right choice of buying a second pair of Silver edition. I use a tube amp and obtain a lot of bass and sound fullness. Indeed, when switching them to A2 amplifier I start to miss that bass and fullness. So I would say that Black Edition are better for Solid State amplification and Silver Edition for tube amps. Anyway many thanks for advices and the very nice pictures.

Later edit:
I've just received my new pair of T1 and after only 2-3 hours of listening I find them darker than my old pair. The new one has S/N 44313 and the old one had S/N 30695. The new pair was made in March 2018.

T12.jpg

@andyfrut Can you please tell me the S/N of your silver pair? I have a feeling that all produced after a specific date are darker. Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #2,895 of 3,924
I drive my set with the original SPL Phonitor and it sounds very nice indeed, comparing well with my Stax set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back