New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jan 29, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #2,791 of 3,925
Thank you for the reply.

It is just about the color since I love the black one but I would like to have the same, original sound signature of the silver.
It’s just a ‘paint job’! Just chose the colour you like and enjoy :)

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #2,792 of 3,925

Yes, but it's still possible that there was a silent revision and that all blacks are already from the second revision while it is dependent on the production date of the silvers.

Jan 29, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #2,793 of 3,925
Yes, but it's still possible that there was a silent revision and that all blacks are already from the second revision while it is dependent on the production date of the silvers.
I think there’s too much paranoia on this site, and way, way too much misinformation.
ALL manufacturers may tweak or make small changes to a product during its lifetime. I’m sure Beyerdynamic are no different.
However, there has been no formal announcement that the black T1.2 is any different to the silver version (apart from the colour, of course), so you can be rest assured that they are probably identical, in all but colour.

Jan 29, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #2,794 of 3,925
Honestly I doubt there is any difference between current production T1.2's regardless of color. I think they tweaked the T1.2 at some point, but not sure when. It's not unusual for early and later run versions of a headphone to sound a bit different. It could be as simple as a slight material change in the pads, such as a different foam inside the earpads. It could also be slightly different dampening, etc. Heck even the very early DT 1990's have different pads than ones in later batches, this is like within months of release, this can be seen by the amount of holes on the back of the analytical pads and what seems to be a different foam in the balanced pads.

Very early DT 1990 pads.
9165777_thumb.jpg

Later DT 1990 pads.
9164708_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #2,795 of 3,925
Honestly I doubt there is any difference between current production T1.2's regardless of color. I think they tweaked the T1.2 at some point, but not sure when. It's not unusual for early and later run versions of a headphone to sound a bit different. It could be as simple as a slight material change in the pads, such as a different foam inside the earpads. It could also be slightly different dampening, etc. Heck even the very early DT 1990's have different pads than ones in later batches, this is like within months of release, this can be seen by the amount of holes on the back of the analytical pads and what seems to be a different foam in the balanced pads.

Very early DT 1990 pads.
9165777_thumb.jpg

Later DT 1990 pads.
9164708_thumb.jpg

Which of the T1 is closer to the dt880.600 sig? Gen 1 or 2 or the 1990 w/ Analytical pads>

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #2,796 of 3,925
Which of the T1 is closer to the dt880.600 sig? Gen 1 or 2 or the 1990 w/ Analytical pads>
My former Sennheiser HD800 (Silver) was very close to my DT880 in terms of sound signature.

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #2,797 of 3,925

Honestly the Amiron Home is more akin to the DT880 than those even though it's warmer and bassier. The Amiron Home has notably more bass, but the mids, treble, and overall tonality remind me more of the DT 880 than the T1.2 or DT 1990. The T1.2 and the DT 1990 are a bit different in the midrange and treble. It's been too long since I heard the T1.1.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #2,798 of 3,925

I think there’s too much paranoia on this site, and way, way too much misinformation.
ALL manufacturers may tweak or make small changes to a product during its lifetime. I’m sure Beyerdynamic are no different.
However, there has been no formal announcement that the black T1.2 is any different to the silver version (apart from the colour, of course), so you can be rest assured that they are probably identical, in all but colour.

Very early DT 1990 pads.
Later DT 1990 pads.

I just received the Black Edition.

From a short test I can say that for me THERE IS a noticeably difference between both: the music (especially the vocals) has in all together more presence, it has more body… it is warmer!
The Black Edition sounds to my ears better since it has just what I wanted the silver to have – compared to the DT 1990 Pro and to my IEM Campfire Andromeda.

Later or this weekend I will test this more and I will ask my friend to test this it too – without, of course, to tell him what I think about both versions.

To the test:

– Both headphones are new: I have the Silver Edition since a week and I used it for max. 2-3 hours, the Black Edition for max. 10 minutes.
– The Silver Edition has a higher serial number: 44XXX, where the Black Edition has a serial number with 43XXX.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #2,799 of 3,925
I just received the Black Edition.

From a short test I can say that for me THERE IS a noticeably difference between both: the music (especially the vocals) has in all together more presence, it has more body… it is warmer!
The Black Edition sounds to my ears better since it has just what I wanted the silver to have – compared to the DT 1990 Pro and to my IEM Campfire Andromeda.

Later or this weekend I will test this more and I will ask my friend to test this it too – without, of course, to tell him what I think about both versions.

To the test:

– Both headphones are new: I have the Silver Edition since a week and I used it for max. 2-3 hours, the Black Edition for max. 10 minutes.
– The Silver Edition has a higher serial number: 44XXX, where the Black Edition has a serial number with 43XXX.
Did you do this comparison test completely 'blind'? If not, then I think Expectation Bias is probably at play...

Feb 1, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #2,800 of 3,925
Did you do this comparison test completely 'blind'? If not, then I think Expectation Bias is probably at play...

This argument makes for me no sense…

Anyway, the expectation was that the two versions would be "technical identical" – I wrote an e-mail to Beyerdynamic too and this was also the answer.

Feb 1, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #2,801 of 3,925

Anyway, the expectation was that the two versions would be "technical identical" – I wrote an e-mail to Beyerdynamic too and this was also the answer.
I didn't propose an 'argument' - I asked a question.
And if you didn't do any such comparison completely 'blind', i.e. NOT knowing which one you were listening to at any specific time, then you can't claim that the black version has (to quote): 'more presence, more body, and is warmer'.
Expectation Bias gets the better of all of us. And if you didn't do this comparison completely 'blind', as above, then any such comparison is worthless.

Feb 1, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #2,802 of 3,925
I didn't propose an 'argument' - I asked a question.
And if you didn't do any such comparison completely 'blind', i.e. NOT knowing which one you were listening to at any specific time, then you can't claim that the black version has (to quote): 'more presence, more body, and is warmer'.
Expectation Bias gets the better of all of us. And if you didn't do this comparison completely 'blind', as above, then any such comparison is worthless.

I will ask to the friend to do such a test.

Anyway, you can believe me or not… that is just my (first) opinion… and I like the black color better :) .

Feb 1, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #2,803 of 3,925
Check the earpads, since that's an easy way to make the T1 warmer. You can swapt them too.
I've bought a pair of T1.2 earpads once and I got two different earpads, they looked similar but under close inspection they were different.
I've also measured the frequency response at that time and one was considerably warmer than the other.
The difference was the density of the internal foam, and even without tearing them apart (as I did), it was easy to see they were different because the bassier one had more of a toroidal form.

This is the T1.2 (silver) earpad
Almohadilla T1.2.jpg

This is the bassier earpad:
Almohadilla Desconocida.jpg

Look how the holes are more stretched and the whole earpad has more of a toroidal form.

Feb 1, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #2,805 of 3,925

I think it is important to recognize your expectation going into it. This is something that impacts me.

I also understand enough of the bias that...I can't recognize in myself. "It's got to be good; I paid $$$$ for it" is one. I am brand loyal for another. Yet there is so much more...

This is an interesting discussion. Keep us updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back