New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jan 12, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #2,778 of 3,927
@Naim.F.C

Thanks for such a thorough and helpful comparison.

I read that the g2 was produced in response to some people finding peaky treble in the g1, but, as ever, it must depend on the rest of your kit as well of course as our ears etc, etc.

Unfortunately, there is a fine balance between producing lots of air and detail and risking troublesome treble. The same happened with the HD800 and 800S.

I went for the g2 as I have quite a lot of Classical which I find can be quite treble bright at times, especially badly recorded violins in Chamber Music, which seem to be the scourge of sound engineers.

Reviewers talk about headphones 'opening a window' to the sound, but for me the g2 opens up a whole room, like walking into a studio or concert hall, as the music completely engulfs me.

I think this is what you meant by the g2 being encapsulating. It took me by surprise the first time I used them as it was, for me, a unique experience using headphones, but since then I've read others, like yourself, experiencing this.

Jan 12, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #2,779 of 3,927
@Naim.F.C

Thanks for such a thorough and helpful comparison.

I read that the g2 was produced in response to some people finding peaky treble in the g1, but, as ever, it must depend on the rest of your kit as well of course as our ears etc, etc.

Unfortunately, there is a fine balance between producing lots of air and detail and risking troublesome treble. The same happened with the HD800 and 800S.

I went for the g2 as I have quite a lot of Classical which I find can be quite treble bright at times, especially badly recorded violins in Chamber Music, which seem to be the scourge of sound engineers.

Reviewers talk about headphones 'opening a window' to the sound, but for me the g2 opens up a whole room, like walking into a studio or concert hall, as the music completely engulfs me.

I think this is what you meant by the g2 being encapsulating. It took me by surprise the first time I used them as it was, for me, a unique experience using headphones, but since then I've read others, like yourself, experiencing this.

Sorry but you're not adressing your own issue in your comment. Does the T1 gen2 feel airy for you, but also too bright or not ?

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #2,780 of 3,927
Anybody tried the T1gen2 with Liquid Platinum ? I orderes the T1 but will return it if it sounds too thin. I ended up selling my HD800S because I found it a bit unengaging and hallow.

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #2,781 of 3,927
I read the most interesting comment while late night surfing. Allegedly, the tuning of the T1.2 is on the earpads. So...in theory I could just buy T1.2 earpads, slap them on T1.0 and get the same sound, without the removable cables, which is something I can live without. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Jan 14, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #2,783 of 3,927
I read the most interesting comment while late night surfing. Allegedly, the tuning of the T1.2 is on the earpads. So...in theory I could just buy T1.2 earpads, slap them on T1.0 and get the same sound, without the removable cables, which is something I can live without. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

It is not true, but of course they are big part of it.

Jan 14, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #2,785 of 3,927

That's only part of it, there are driver damping differences along with some other tweaks I think

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #2,787 of 3,927
Hi,

I recieved a pair of used Gen 2 yesterday. Serial no. is 29306.

I have a T5p.1 for direct comparison and I remember the sound of a very early produced T1.1.

The T1.1 was nice but had a little bit too much of a spike in the treble.

The T1.2 I just got sounds vastly different. It i a lot warmer. Classical music and jazz with good dynamic range sound sublime. However modern pop songs and trance music with lots of dynamic compression sound extremely shrill in the higher mid range. A good example is Fonzi - Echame la culpa. There is a component to the beat in the refrain that just kills me. Neither the T1.1 nor the T5P.1, the latter being known for its harsh signature, sound like that. Is this to be expected?

Source is a Creative X7 with Burson V5i Opamps in High Gain Mode.

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #2,789 of 3,927
I wouldn't care too much. I have a silver with a lower serial number 29.xxx and its just bad if you pair it with a very transparent and bright source. Something like an o2/ODAC isn't the best match for a T1.2 but they it never was for any Beyer headphone. Even something with a slight hint of warmth like a Aune T1 will already tame the treble and sibilance and bring out the musical qualities of the T1. I would not want it any warmer then it already is.

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #2,790 of 3,927
I wouldn't care too much. I have a silver with a lower serial number 29.xxx and its just bad if you pair it with a very transparent and bright source. Something like an o2/ODAC isn't the best match for a T1.2 but they it never was for any Beyer headphone. Even something with a slight hint of warmth like a Aune T1 will already tame the treble and sibilance and bring out the musical qualities of the T1. I would not want it any warmer then it already is.

Thank you for the reply.

It is just about the color since I love the black one but I would like to have the same, original sound signature of the silver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back