New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Apr 13, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #2,866 of 3,924
If you insist on sticking with an iPhone/iPad as a source, consider the Beyerdynamic Impacto Universal. Against all odds, it works a treat with an iDevice and sounds great driving the T1’s.

The Beyerdynamic Impacto Universal sounds great indeed.
I’ve been comparing it to the Chord Mojo/Poly combo and I prefer the Beyerdynamic Impacto. The latter is a bit clearer, more dynamic and has a little bit less pronounced treble. It just gives a better synergy.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #2,867 of 3,924
The Beyerdynamic Impacto Universal sounds great indeed.
I’ve been comparing it to the Chord Mojo/Poly combo and I prefer the Beyerdynamic Impacto. The latter is a bit clearer, more dynamic and has a little bit less pronounced treble. It just gives a better synergy.
Yep, I gotta say the Impacto is surprisingly good with the T1.2 :)
It also plays very well with the T5p/2.

Apr 14, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #2,869 of 3,924
Have ever used a DF red with T5p? İ am just curious if any improvement presents over impecto
I’ve used the T5P/2 with both the Impacto and the DF Red.
TBH there isn’t much ‘improvement’ to be had in using the DF Red. It gives a slightly different sound signature, with slightly more volume, but the Impacto gives plenty of volume anyway with the T5P/2, which are much more efficient than the T1.2.
The Impacto is very well suited to both the T5P/2 and the T1.2.

Apr 18, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #2,870 of 3,924
I’ve used the T5P/2 with both the Impacto and the DF Red.
TBH there isn’t much ‘improvement’ to be had in using the DF Red. It gives a slightly different sound signature, with slightly more volume, but the Impacto gives plenty of volume anyway with the T5P/2, which are much more efficient than the T1.2.
The Impacto is very well suited to both the T5P/2 and the T1.2.

Maybe, i should have a look at a new portable gear like DX200, R6 or sr15.

May 2, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #2,871 of 3,924
Massdrop has the Astell&Kern version of the T1 gen 2 for $500.

May 2, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #2,872 of 3,924

Is there any differences in tuning between A&K/Beyer T1 g2 and the standard T1 g2?

I'm looking at massdrop dt177x, and chanced upon the A&K T1

May 2, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #2,873 of 3,924
Is there any differences in tuning between A&K/Beyer T1 g2 and the standard T1 g2?

I'm looking at massdrop dt177x, and chanced upon the A&K T1

AK is much easier to drive because it has the same driver as T5.p but in an open design.

DFR vs Impacto is not much of a difference, almost the same DAC/amplifier, Impacto theoretically has better specs. Impacto gives a better usability with volume controls, but requires a battery when used with iDevices. DFR in turn doesn't need a battery.
Good thing about Impacto - the battery is an external part which if broken can be easily replaced or removed completely...

May 15, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #2,877 of 3,924

Semi open design. What did they give up to drop the impedance to 35?
My Hiby could drive that!
I’ll never forget hearing the T1 with an ak240 at Canjam. Jaw dropping as I recall...
jhv

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #2,878 of 3,924
I’ll never forget hearing the T1 with an ak240 at Canjam. Jaw dropping as I recall...
jhv

Well, they call it semi-open, but it is as open as it can go. It leaks the sound to outside completely, and there is 0 isolation. I don't perceive any difference to e.g. an 'open' HD600.

And soundwise, 600 Ohm vs. 35 Ohm do not necessarily result in a worse or even different SQ. Well, they use a sicker and heavier wire for 35 Ohm coils, but less of that in the length. For 600 Ohm, they use thinner wire, but much longer than for a 35 Ohm version, so that a main impact, weight reduction of the coil, is pretty insignificant. 600 Ohm make the headphone less dependent on the source (if it's powerful enough), with 35 Ohm factors like source output impedance start to play a role...

May 16, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #2,879 of 3,924
jhv

Well, they call it semi-open, but it is as open as it can go. It leaks the sound to outside completely, and there is 0 isolation. I don't perceive any difference to e.g. an 'open' HD600.

And soundwise, 600 Ohm vs. 35 Ohm do not necessarily result in a worse or even different SQ. Well, they use a sicker and heavier wire for 35 Ohm coils, but less of that in the length. For 600 Ohm, they use thinner wire, but much longer than for a 35 Ohm version, so that a main impact, weight reduction of the coil, is pretty insignificant. 600 Ohm make the headphone less dependent on the source (if it's powerful enough), with 35 Ohm factors like source output impedance start to play a role...

The isolation of Beyer's "semi-open" design is, in my opinion, not entirely "0".
in comparison to so called "earspeakers" like STAXs, K1000, or even HE500, semi-openness delivers some isolation, indeed very slight but can be meaningful in some occasion.
measured difference is about -10db@8-10kHz. (c.f: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT1.pdf & https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE500.pdf)

Yes, my wife is less annoyed when I listen to T1 than HE500.

May 24, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #2,880 of 3,924
I'm curious what amps people have found that paired amazingly with this T1, and what it did to the overall sound signature to make it that way for you?

As weird as this may sound, over the last couple of months I've been enjoying my 2nd Gen T1's through the headphone jack on my HP Omen Desktop computer. I have the one with the i7 that's clocked in at 3.2Ghz with a GTX 1060 GPU (if you wanted to do research on the amp and sound card combo). For gear I have the Schiit Uber Stack and the Gustard H10 amp and DAC X12. The Schiit gear is a bit more analytical sounding while the Gustard has a warming signature (heavily due to the H10 amp) with an ever so wider soundstage. My current amp and DAC combo is the Schiit Magni 2 Uber amp with my Gustard DAC X-12). I mixed those two because I like the more analytical nature of the Schiit Amp along with the Gustard DAC which is an outright better dac compared to my Modi 2U. It's very clean sounding with more power to it than the Modi 2U. I came to this conclusion when I realized I could power bookshelf speakers with just the Gustard DAC alone, something my Modi 2U DAC couldn't do. I know it's not an amplifier but whatever amp is inside the dac before it gets fed to the amp is clearly quite strong.

However, compared to all of this I find the headphone out on my HP Omen Desktop to be the most pleasurable. Certain parts of the instrumentals I found to be a bit more forefront such as string and percussion instruments, bass has more impact, the midrange is little more toned back (which solves an issue I had with the 2nd Gen T1's because I found the midrange to be a bit on the warm side to the extent the headphones almost sounded a tad bit veiled there. The treble is relatively the same between both setups, the HP Omen can sound a tad bit clearer here (which may be due to the toned back midrange allowing the treble to be more noticeable). There are no special sound effects enabled on my HP Omen, I made sure to disable anything that could alter the sound in any way. I'm curious as to why there's such a difference between the two. Also, is the midrange I'm hearing by default (aka through the solidstate Magni 2U Amp) considered Neutral or a tad bit warm? With the benchmark being the HD600's midrange since that's considered "neutral" from headphones standards based on what I've read online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back