New Beyer DT1350
Jun 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #1,876 of 4,010
Quote:
Thanks a lot for all your help.
It doesn't sound like any of these headphones will do.
Maybe I need to stick with some Circulaural headphones that are as portable as possible.
Any suggestions?

If you have not already done so take a look at Jokers epic 'Portable Headphone Shootout' Thread covering more than 100 portable headphones...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

The DT1350 is covered there as well as the HD25, so you can compare with a phone you already know.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #1,877 of 4,010
FWIW, after a year of use, the left pivot became loose.  The button that holds it all together wasn't staying tightly connected any longer.  The right one is fine.  Don't know why.  I don't pivot them on either side much.  Returned b/c still under warranty (2 years!).  Will see what the response is.

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #1,878 of 4,010
Well, I'm still debating between these, the M80s and the HD25s.  

There's nowhere in Nashville to hear the 1350s, but I was able to hear the other two today at Guitar Center.  Big hats off to them for being willing to let people listen...

The M80s were very tempting.  I actually liked the sound quite a bit (bass and mids were fabulous), but I could have used slightly more bite in the treble on certain songs (mostly rock stuff like Radiohead or The Raconteurs, and also on some acoustic like Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds).  The big turnoffs for me were the small and skinny pads and the lack of isolation.  They offered some isolation, of course, but I just don't know about using them on an airplane, etc.

The HD25s were almost the polar opposite for me.  I actually found them to be quite comfortable as far as on-ears go.  They sealed right away and the isolation definitely better than on the M80s.  The treble was certainly brighter and they sounded good with the acoustic stuff I mentioned earler.  Overall, though, they sound far less refined to me.  The bass didn't seem as articulate and the mids were slightly recessed.  I also wasn't crazy about the super-cheap feeling plastic.  I know they're as rugged as anything out there, but the M80s just felt nicer for the money.

Which all brings me back to the 1350s.  I'm hoping they'll be a good mesh of the two.  Better isolation and treble than the M80s with better bass and mids than the HD25s.  At the same time having good build quality and hopefully scaling better with an amp since most of my listening will be at work on my desktop machine.  Does all of this sound about right?

Any comments are appreciated since I've been fighting with this decision for a good month now.  Just nothing about the Beyer QC, please.   I think that's been covered pretty well 
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #1,879 of 4,010
Quote:
Well, I'm still debating between these, the M80s and the HD25s.  

There's nowhere in Nashville to hear the 1350s, but I was able to hear the other two today at Guitar Center.  Big hats off to them for being willing to let people listen...

The M80s were very tempting.  I actually liked the sound quite a bit (bass and mids were fabulous), but I could have used slightly more bite in the treble on certain songs (mostly rock stuff like Radiohead or The Raconteurs, and also on some acoustic like Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds).  The big turnoffs for me were the small and skinny pads and the lack of isolation.  They offered some isolation, of course, but I just don't know about using them on an airplane, etc.

The HD25s were almost the polar opposite for me.  I actually found them to be quite comfortable as far as on-ears go.  They sealed right away and the isolation definitely better than on the M80s.  The treble was certainly brighter and they sounded good with the acoustic stuff I mentioned earler.  Overall, though, they sound far less refined to me.  The bass didn't seem as articulate and the mids were slightly recessed.  I also wasn't crazy about the super-cheap feeling plastic.  I know they're as rugged as anything out there, but the M80s just felt nicer for the money.

Which all brings me back to the 1350s.  I'm hoping they'll be a good mesh of the two.  Better isolation and treble than the M80s with better bass and mids than the HD25s.  At the same time having good build quality and hopefully scaling better with an amp since most of my listening will be at work on my desktop machine.  Does all of this sound about right?

Any comments are appreciated since I've been fighting with this decision for a good month now.  Just nothing about the Beyer QC, please.   I think that's been covered pretty well 
tongue.gif

You wont get the omph that you are getting from HD25 or even M80 with the DT1350. That's why alot ppl say it is not a engaging headphone. The quantity of the mid bass is not much but the sub bass of the DT1350 is awesome!!!

Building quality is great but still not as solid as HD25 in my opinion. Below is my ranking for the three.

Sound:
DT1350>HD25>M80

Build
HD25>M80=>DT1350

Comfort
DT1350=HD25>M80

Isolation
DT1350>HD25>M80

Packaging
M80>DT1350>HD25

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #1,880 of 4,010
Quote:
FWIW, after a year of use, the left pivot became loose.  The button that holds it all together wasn't staying tightly connected any longer.  The right one is fine.  Don't know why.  I don't pivot them on either side much.  Returned b/c still under warranty (2 years!).  Will see what the response is.

Mine too is a little loose on the left, I noticed it while putting it on my neck and folding the cups flat. The left usually don't stay flat. Unfortunately I bought mine locally to a person and won't be able to return it. What's the case on yours? Is it like the cup will gonna be detached from the clamp? :/ I hope it won't happen on mine. :frowning2:

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #1,881 of 4,010
Quote:
I also wasn't crazy about the super-cheap feeling plastic.  I know they're as rugged as anything out there, but the M80s just felt nicer for the money.

Nothing against V-Moda as they make great products but Sennheiser and the HD-25 series has a 2 decade+ reputation with DJs and ENG teams that you can rely on. More metal does not necessarily make a headphone better.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #1,882 of 4,010
Quote:

Nothing against V-Moda as they make great products but Sennheiser and the HD-25 series has a 2 decade+ reputation with DJs and ENG teams that you can rely on. More metal does not necessarily make a headphone better.

Understood completely.  Like I said, I'm fully aware of their reputation as being one of the most rugged headphones around and the fact that everything is user replaceable helps even more.  That still doesn't make me like the way they feel  
tongue.gif

The comfort was good, but I only found the sound to be acceptable.  If the M80 and HD25 could get together and have a baby, then I might have my dream portable headphone.  I'm hoping the 1350s can at least qualify as a semi-liked stepchild.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #1,883 of 4,010

IMHO the M-80s hold their own against the HD25s any day and do a couple things better (soundstage, imaging, bass extension). And this is coming from someone who uses the HDs every day for the last couple of years(the one department I wish the M-80s would have stepped up in is isolation - its good but not as good as the HDs when on the train). As far as their rep with DJs, I still cannot understand how DJs can use the HDs with the treble spikes (on the train I listen at very moderate volumes because of that). I know they isolate but when you're in a loud environment to DJ you are gonna have to boost up that volume and that's where the treble is gonna kill your hearing. For studio use and on-field recording, sure totally understandable. For DJ use not so much. That's where V-MODA has definitely got it right.

Anyway sorry for the OT.

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #1,885 of 4,010
I mean, I took the M-80 on the train the other day (was a nice relief from the HDs) and was still able to enjoy the music so YMMV. The upcoming M-100 is said to sound much better and isolate better so I'm very hopeful. Other than that, whenever I'm not using the HDs, the M-80s are with me wherever I go.

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #1,886 of 4,010
Quote:

Understood completely.  Like I said, I'm fully aware of their reputation as being one of the most rugged headphones around and the fact that everything is user replaceable helps even more.  That still doesn't make me like the way they feel  
tongue.gif

The comfort was good, but I only found the sound to be acceptable.  If the M80 and HD25 could get together and have a baby, then I might have my dream portable headphone.  I'm hoping the 1350s can at least qualify as a semi-liked stepchild.

Sorry dude but this next post will probably make your decision even harder. Within the next month or so V-MODA is going to be releasing a new headphone called the M-100. The M-80 was only the entry level can for their new M series lineup. Down the road they will also release a third headphone which will be their flagship and that one will be called the Revolver. I haven't heard the M-100 but I do know someone who has and thus far it has the makings of a nice sounding headphone. If you're not in a hurry and can wait another month or so maybe the M-100 would be up your alley.

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #1,887 of 4,010
Quote:
You wont get the omph that you are getting from HD25 or even M80 with the DT1350. That's why alot ppl say it is not a engaging headphone. The quantity of the mid bass is not much but the sub bass of the DT1350 is awesome!!!

Building quality is great but still not as solid as HD25 in my opinion. Below is my ranking for the three.

Sound:
DT1350>HD25>M80

Build
HD25>M80=>DT1350

Comfort
DT1350=HD25>M80

Isolation
DT1350>HD25>M80

Packaging
M80>DT1350>HD25

Except for comfort (where I would put the HD25 ahead of the DT1350) I can second that.

@skyline315: I think you might like the DT1350... I do think it combines some elements from both the HD25 and the M-80. Maybe you can find a shop with a decent return policy?

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #1,888 of 4,010
Quote:
Sorry dude but this next post will probably make your decision even harder. Within the next month or so V-MODA is going to be releasing a new headphone called the M-100. The M-80 was only the entry level can for their new M series lineup. Down the road they will also release a third headphone which will be their flagship and that one will be called the Revolver. I haven't heard the M-100 but I do know someone who has and thus far it has the makings of a nice sounding headphone. If you're not in a hurry and can wait another month or so maybe the M-100 would be up your alley.

Yeah, I know about the M-100.  One of the reasons I wanted something supraaural, though, was to be rid of the ridiculous headphone hair I get at work.  I'm a teacher, and I get tired of the kids asking me why there's a funny-looking ring in the hair around my ears :p  I've been using the SRH940 at work for a while now, but finally decided to opt for something easier to transport.  That's not to say that the M-100s couldn't sway me, though.  It's hard to tell from the pictures how large the clamshell case is.  The M80 case looked so easy to clamp onto my backpack.  The M100 case looked a little on the large side.

Quote:
Except for comfort (where I would put the HD25 ahead of the DT1350) I can second that.

@skyline315: I think you might like the DT1350... I do think it combines some elements from both the HD25 and the M-80. Maybe you can find a shop with a decent return policy?

Yeah, I'm debating locations.  I thought about ordering them straight from Breyer since they just got a brand new batch in from Germany.  But, if I might want to return them, then amazon would certainly make more sense.  B&H has them for 285 right now, but I'm not sure about how they handle returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back