New Beyer DT1350
Jun 4, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #395 of 4,010

Quote:
hey Tyll so in two words: is it worth consider replacing fullsize dt880 by dt1350 in terms of general sound quality for home using on good equipment in your opinion?:)

Quote:
1) eye
2) wood

Bwahahahaha!  I love a man with a sense of humor - wait - Love is another word one man should never say to another....

Might I offer possible comfort issues as something to consider.  Note that I traded D7000's (most comfortable phone I've owned) for the DT1350's (fourth least comfortable I've owned).  The trade was well worth it for me, for a number of reasons - Excellent sound, stunning build, extreme portability, and a cool little case.  They fit right into my "scale down with great sound" theme of the moment.  Note they are not miserably uncomfortable or anything, just supra aural with a pretty good squeeze.  Might be the most comfortable supra aural I've owned, though.

In short (wait, I already blew the short part...) I haven't heard the DT880, but the DT1350 is a great headphone!

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #397 of 4,010
I should be serious and say "I don't know."  It's something you'll sorta have to figure out. Basically, I'm not a big fan of the 880 ... to bright for me.  So, I'd trade it for something I like better even though it's ergonomically incorrect. The DT1350 is a handy phone, good for a lot of applications.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #399 of 4,010
My DT1350 is really beginning to even out. I have been running pink noise thru them at a good volume level when out of the house. I also changed interconnects on the amp. Great recordings sound great, crap ones are crap, analog is analog and digital is digital. That's all I need to know, and the 1350 is telling me that they are making a real stab at neutrality by doing that. They're like the headphone equivalent of a great small loudspeaker.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #400 of 4,010
the DT1350's seem like what the T50's should have been, by the way, beagle, how does the dt1350 compare to the dt770 in terms of sound signature

thanks

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #401 of 4,010
I've parted ways with the DT770 but the 1350 is more evenly balanced. The 770 created a cavernous space in which the music played but the 1350 is out in the open and playing music outside your ears. And the 1350 retains the characteristics of individual recordings and tells you a lot about your source, amp and cables.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #402 of 4,010
Oh, and I had the 600 ohm 770 and found it a bit distant. The 1350 is more "there" and has some snap and jump if the recording does.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #403 of 4,010

Quote:
It would be interesting to try adding a felt damping layer to the back of the T50p cups and see if the FR evens out a bit. 

I added akasa foam, but I also detached part of the baffle filter for increased punch and clarity.  The Akasa has little effect, mostly kills a slight echo that results from detaching part of the filter.  Pretty balanced sound in the mids and treble, but it lacks speed versus HD25SP and is not as analytical, though I like T50p's mids and treble a bit more.  The cups and driver housing and whatever are well-made.
Edit: I should add that I say it seems to be well-made because other headphones, when you mess with the baffle/driver filters, they become echo-y to death and extremely hollowed out.
T50p has no filter on that hole in the middle of the back of the driver to begin with.  =\

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #404 of 4,010

Quote:
I should be serious and say "I don't know."  It's something you'll sorta have to figure out. Basically, I'm not a big fan of the 880 ... to bright for me.  So, I'd trade it for something I like better even though it's ergonomically incorrect. The DT1350 is a handy phone, good for a lot of applications.

Tyll, I'll quit quoting you eventually, It is just that I am really getting pretty excited about these headphones also.  I had been using a touch 4G and a little leckerton UHA-4, and the detail was lacking a bit compared to my iem's (1964 ears Quads, for those that might be interested for whatever reason...).  I have passed my Headroom UDA along, and hadn't used anything relatively high end with the DT1350's.  Well, I just plugged my DT1350's into the headphone section of my Peachtree Nova and listened to "Mining For Gold" from The Trinity Sessions by the Cowboy Junkies.  There is a background mining rail car / mine vent fans low rumble that runs through the song.  It was visceral with my D7000's and UDA, and completely missing from the DT1350 / Touch / UHA-4, but at least present with the touch/UHA-4 and the quads.  It is very much back and visceral from the Nova through the DT1350's!  These do indeed scale very well with source and amp.  I would live with the minor (dis)comfort for this sound quality from higher end source and amp.  Very cool indeed.  The more time I spend with the DT1350, the more I like it - the true sign of a keeper.  Far more impressive than the initial glamour some headphones give, only to become overly bassy or overly brittle and shrill with more exposure (I'm thinking the HFI-780 in my case...).

Well, now I need to rethink source and amp for my "scale down with great sound" operation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back