New Beyer DT1350
Dec 25, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #3,976 of 4,010
Hi there, new here :)
I'm really intrigued by these headphones, having read that they might suit classical music very well. I pretty much want what Shoebappa describes, though I'm only an amateur musician. Ironically, here in Germany, the DT1350 are much more expensive at 220€ and that's just a little more than I'm willing to spent. Now I can get said K545 for only 100€ and since they have been suggested here - should I give them a shot?
Especially Mahler is sooo demanding, but I can't really find too many reviewers talking about this kind of music, so I'm really unsure. In short, what the headphones have to do is to offer as much differentiation as possbile. Also I don't give a damn about any "characteristics", it just has to sound true to the various instruments of a symphonic orchestra. I suppose that kind of headphone would work well with chamber music anyways.
Any suggestions?

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #3,977 of 4,010
Wow I just got a pair of these in the mail and I am so satisfied with the DT1350. In the states they can be had for as little as $120 refurb/used on flea bay or other retailers if you can catch a sale. I was not expecting the bass that the DT1350 produces!

Years ago when I started my lurking on head-fi to find the perfect bass head headphones for an affordable price, I would hit walls with each headphone and iem purchase. The low end would bump but the mids would be veiled and some would sound murky or too dark and so I moved on to Beyerdynamic DT880 and DT770 to see how a more neutral revealing sounding headphone would be like and I thought I kicked my bass-head wants. I was content for many years.

But now I believe I have found a pair of headphones that really satisfy all my wants. The mids are just there and a bit thick and the bass is everything I want for the hip hop and rnb genres I listen to. Very happy. I have a huge head but surprisingly not having comfort issues maybe because they are used and pre stretched for me. The seal on my ears are perfect and just loving the isolation. I listen on the go with the LG V10 and its a great combo. However I do find the sound of the DT1350 a bit laid back for me.

May 5, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #3,978 of 4,010
Guys,

So I've been reading this thread and also the T51p/i thread.. I am a bit confused when comparing these two headphones.
Which one has the dark sound? Some say that dt1350 has a dark sound and some say that the T51 is the one with the dark sound.

Not to mention, I am also a bit puzzled because "dark" characteristic is never been associated with a Beyer phones. I've never heard a dark beyer phone in my life

Little help please

May 10, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #3,979 of 4,010
Guys,

So I've been reading this thread and also the T51p/i thread.. I am a bit confused when comparing these two headphones.
Which one has the dark sound? Some say that dt1350 has a dark sound and some say that the T51 is the one with the dark sound.

Not to mention, I am also a bit puzzled because "dark" characteristic is never been associated with a Beyer phones. I've never heard a dark beyer phone in my life

Little help please

I would not call either of them dark, but the T51 has a warmer signature with more midbass and a bit softer treble. Neither has the beyer peak though.

There seems to be a bit of a unit to unit variations at least with early DT1350, which may explain part of the differing reports

Jun 9, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #3,980 of 4,010
Guys,

Little help please

The DT 1350 definitely sounds bassier and darker to me. It has excellent bass that sounds louder at sub 50 Hz than T51. With some music the bass can be pretty heavy if you got a good seal. For me the T51 has a prettier, lighter sound which may be more musical. 

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #3,981 of 4,010
seems like the DT1350 is forgotten now. has anybody find another headphone to replace it? I've had mine for over 3 years with heavy use in office. around a year in I had driver replaced on right side and the headphone never really matches since. ( more bass on from the older driver side) I have a lot of open phones but this is my only closed one now.

so far I see to get significantly better sound from DT1350 with are the full size closed cans. but I don't know if any of them can match this one for sound isolation?

anyways for anybody who doesn't want to spend too much on audio just get this one for office use you will be very happy.

I can confirm this headphone goes through break in. the bass increase quite a bit and you can feel the vibration. when new it doesn't do that. that is with the same audio source.

so yeah anybody can recommend me something else? not ath-m50.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #3,982 of 4,010
M50 is poop.

Is the earpad sealing properly on the right side?  Double and triple check, this can affect sound quite a bit.

Also, check that the voice coil leads aren't touching or criss-crossing.  Move them away from each other more if they are close together, circled in red here:

Beyerdynamic didn't insulate them enough or something.  This can pose a problem for T50p, T51p, and the DT1350 variants.  If the leads are too close together, touching, or criss-crossing, you can get imbalance of some kind or another or just overall dark, quiet, and low sound quality.
Use a toothpick, needle, or xacto knife with an unbroken edge, and steady, very slow movements with extreme care while viewing the leads with a 10-20x magnifying loupe to see clearly.
In the photo above, I moved the leads apart already.

Oct 21, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #3,983 of 4,010

very good information. thank you. I bet if anything to do with imbalance what you shown there most likely be the cure. I think mine is sounding a bit better now. but later when I am bored I will disassemble and take a look at it. that is some thin wire need that kind of magnification.

seal is good on earpad. it's broken into with my ears only. no sound leakage at all.

hope my T1.2 won't get this problem later.

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #3,984 of 4,010
My DT1350 are broken since a couple of months. I really miss them. Would the T51i be a suitable replacement? I'd like to have similar SQ to the DT1350.

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #3,985 of 4,010
T51 has a different sound.

On a separate note, I cut a hole into the inner side of each of my DT1350's pads very close to the ear opening, in the same fashion as HD25 pads, and the sound has become clearer and more relaxed.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #3,987 of 4,010
T51 has a different sound.

On a separate note, I cut a hole into the inner side of each of my DT1350's pads very close to the ear opening, in the same fashion as HD25 pads, and the sound has become clearer and more relaxed.

What do you mean by cutting a hole on the inner side of the pads? Does this diminish the bass response?

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #3,988 of 4,010
You can lose a little midbass if the hole isn't very close to the ear opening.  I found that out the hard way, but you can always just plug it up with superglue if you are unsatisfied or screw up.

A hole so that you can see the white foam stuffing the earpads.  My guess is that the hole allows the drivers to make use of the air in the pads in addition to what ends up between your eardrums and the drivers themselves when you wear the headphone.  In other words, the drivers are a little "asphyxiated" in an unmodified headphone, I guess.  I couldn't help but notice the lack of clarity and mildly "tense" quality of the sound when comparing DT1350 to other headphones as well as my modified T50p.

I figured this trick out a while ago by chance when I was experimenting on some Chinese pads I got off eBay for my HD25.

I've recently been trying out T51 pads on my DT1350.  Midrange and treble quality and clarity improve, and the overall sound is less like "listening through a keyhole" than before, but I have to wear the headphone a bit lower on my ears than before or otherwise I get recessed, quiet bass.  I also sacrifice the nice treble as a result.  Comfort-wise, these T51 pads are far better for me, and isolation improves a bit, too.  Take this earpad swap idea with caution, I suppose.

Edit: after spending more time with the T51 pads on my DT1350, the change in balance really makes this headphone more of a "true" studio monitor, I love it. Fiberfill in the cups needed as well to cut down on unwanted resonances that mar the sound and resolution. It may not be as resolving as HD25, but it provides similarly high isolation and a more balanced, snappier sound instead.

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #3,989 of 4,010
You can lose a little midbass if the hole isn't very close to the ear opening.  I found that out the hard way, but you can always just plug it up with superglue if you are unsatisfied or screw up.

A hole so that you can see the white foam stuffing the earpads.  My guess is that the hole allows the drivers to make use of the air in the pads in addition to what ends up between your eardrums and the drivers themselves when you wear the headphone.  In other words, the drivers are a little "asphyxiated" in an unmodified headphone, I guess.  I couldn't help but notice the lack of clarity and mildly "tense" quality of the sound when comparing DT1350 to other headphones as well as my modified T50p.

I figured this trick out a while ago by chance when I was experimenting on some Chinese pads I got off eBay for my HD25.

I've recently been trying out T51 pads on my DT1350.  Midrange and treble quality and clarity improve, and the overall sound is less like "listening through a keyhole" than before, but I have to wear the headphone a bit lower on my ears than before or otherwise I get recessed, quiet bass.  I also sacrifice the nice treble as a result.  Comfort-wise, these T51 pads are far better for me, and isolation improves a bit, too.  Take this earpad swap idea with caution, I suppose.

Great impressions with the T51p pads. I'm interested in the comfort and opening up the soundstage, but I don't want to lose anything that makes these special. Which pads did your DT1350 originally have? Pre or post facelift? As well, can you add a picture of this hole?

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #3,990 of 4,010

I cut it 3mm across, but due to the way I am bending the pad, it shrinks to ~2mm when I let it return to its original shape.

What's this about "Pre or post facelift" earpads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back