New Beyer DT1350
Oct 22, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #3,586 of 4,010

The Momentum is not several steps bellow the DT1350 - they just have different sound signatures.   Basically, the Momentum has more mid-bass punch, while the DT1350 has more sub-bass and less punch.  The highs and mids, while different in presentation, are great on both models.  The DT1350 isolates better, but the Momentum is more comfortable.

I prefer the DT1350...by just a little bit.  If you think the DT1350 has more bass than you prefer, then prepare to have even more bass with the Sennheisers. 

Whenever you think you look like a dork, just remember...at least you don't look like an total idiot...which you would if you used Beats instead.
dt880smile.png

IME with both, I found the DT 1350s more resolving and punchier in the bass. Mids are also more pronounced and better articulated in the DTs and there's better bass definition while I felt the Momentum has an overall more laidback and slower presentation. That said, the Momentums are a little more musical and have better timbre. But the DTs IMHO are the better headphone in terms of detail, accuracy, and overall rendering across the spectrum. Momentums are definitely more comfortable so long as your ears fit.

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #3,587 of 4,010

IME with both, I found the DT 1350s more resolving and punchier in the bass. Mids are also more pronounced and better articulated in the DTs and there's better bass definition while I felt the Momentum has an overall more laidback and slower presentation. That said, the Momentums are a little more musical and have better timbre. But the DTs IMHO are the better headphone in terms of detail, accuracy, and overall rendering across the spectrum. Momentums are definitely more comfortable so long as your ears fit.

Curious roma101, did you ever get to hear the M500's? If so, I'd be interested in your impressions relative to the dt1350's.

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #3,588 of 4,010
Should be receiving my DT's today...pretty excited. Ordered off Amazon a little over a week ago and just checked the Track and Trace and they arrived in country (NZ) on Monday....should see them today :D

Did plenty of reading and research before pulling the trigger on these and it came down to the Beyer's or the Senn HD 25-1 II's - Jude's video comparison and comments helped a lot here.

Will be using them with my portable setup 100% as I am on the road almost full time - looking forward to hearing how the sound with the Pico Slim and through the Mont Blanc!

Good to see a fellow kiwi here, especially owning the dt1350. I would like to know what you think of it playing out of your portable rig. I am just playing it off an iPhone 5.

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #3,589 of 4,010
Well...I should be able to let you know in the next couple of days..
biggrin.gif

Really hope they arrive today. It's raining here in Napier and I could easily sit down for a few hours of uninterrupted listening / testing.

watch this space.

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #3,590 of 4,010
Curious roma101, did you ever get to hear the M500's? If so, I'd be interested in your impressions relative to the dt1350's.

Currently I own the three cans, dt1350, m100, m500 and had a quick audition of the momentum.

I would say m500 has got a wider soundstage and better imaging compare to dt1350 but for some reason it sometimes can get quite fatiguing after long listening session.

M500 is quite comfortable if you are not moving around much. The clamping force is minimal so the headphone slips quite easily.

I am used to the tight fit with my dt1350.

Dt1350 isolates the best out of them all.

I dislike momentum of its plasticie shell.

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #3,592 of 4,010

Not yet! I would love to try them as well as the P7s though. The lack of isolation on the M500 is kind of a deal-breaker for me though since I use headphones on the go, in loud environments. But yes I would still love to try them and compare them with other cans I've had.

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #3,593 of 4,010
Currently I own the three cans, dt1350, m100, m500 and had a quick audition of the momentum.

I would say m500 has got a wider soundstage and better imaging compare to dt1350 but for some reason it sometimes can get quite fatiguing after long listening session.

M500 is quite comfortable if you are not moving around much. The clamping force is minimal so the headphone slips quite easily.

I am used to the tight fit with my dt1350.

Dt1350 isolates the best out of them all.

I dislike momentum of its plasticie shell.

I can see how the dt1350's would be preferred for portability, that's for sure. How does the bass compare? I was really surprised by how beautifully the m500's handle bass. For that matter, I really love the m500's mids as well. How do the mids of the two compare?

Not yet! I would love to try them as well as the P7s though. The lack of isolation on the M500 is kind of a deal-breaker for me though since I use headphones on the go, in loud environments. But yes I would still love to try them and compare them with other cans I've had.

Cool. I hope you do get to hear them soon (I also would like to hear the P7's some day!). I mainly use the M500's around the house, so isolation is not a big deal for me. And even though I am really happy with their sound, the dt1350's continue to pique my interest... especially given the great deals that are out there for them now :)

Oct 22, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #3,594 of 4,010
In terms of the bass. My DT1350 has got less upper-mid bass compare to the M500. The bass on DT1350 may sound less but it is very tight and can go very deep. Maybe that is why it is less fatiguing listening to the DT1350. Don't expect to hear thunderous bass from DT1350. It is tight but yet gentle....hmmm...i think thats how i would describe it...

Oct 22, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #3,595 of 4,010
I would say the mid is more forward on the DT1350, maybe because a bit of the mid of the M500 got drowned by the bass...if you know what i mean....some people do have timbre issue with the DT1350. I cannot really tell, maybe because I am not that picky. I found myself always favouring the beyer house sound....

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #3,596 of 4,010
New DT1350's arrived on the doorstep yesterday - quite happy with the turnaround time from Amazon to NZ…3 days earlier than their predicted timeframe (normally the case anyways)

Nice presentation with the semi hard case and accessories. I love the look of these cans and the build quality looks and feels tops shelf. I bought these specifically for travel and I'm hoping their durability will stack up. Was considering the Senn HD 251-II as well and I'm pleased to see a complete lack of plastic on these cans.

I won't comment on the sound just yet as i need to test them out and give them a solid 'burn-in' period. I won't use them straight from the iPod as i always amp my IEM's and Cans. Will be using the Pico Slim and the E12 .

One immediate issue I am having is Comfort! - I do not have large ears and I am finding that after 1 - 1.5 hours, the very outside of my ears are getting quite sore and red…..Yes, I have moved the position of the pads to various areas on my ears and adjusted the length of the pads in relation to the head band.
I'm really hoping that its just the strength of the clamp force with new cans?? and that over time, this will 'relax' more and not squeeze my ears so tightly??

Anyone care to comment on a smiler experience?

BTW - Initial sound impression are quite surprising!! - I'm coming from UERM's here and I'm impressed at what I'm hearing from these guys after only a few hours.

More to come - 
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #3,597 of 4,010
They will probably loosen slightly over time, mine seem to have although not significantly.

I can tell you that I've had that same experience with every single on-ear headphone I've ever used and I don't think there's any way to avoid it. After an hour and a half or so your ears get sore from the headphones constantly pressing on them. Some on-ears only last 30 mins or so before discomfort sets in, some 2 hours or more, but it always happens and is inevitable. Your ears don't like being pressed down. The only 100% solution is to switch to an over-ear design. For me, the DT1350s are comfortable for long enough to be useful when I need a portable. When necessary I can get 3+ hours of straight use out of them by occasionally adjusting them or taking them off momentarily.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #3,598 of 4,010
Thanks devhen.

Yes, I have the AKG 701's over ear and I can listen for hours with those….unfortunately, they are in a storage locker some 500kms away from me right now!!

I'll keep working with the DT's…..
smile.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #3,599 of 4,010
There are also two additional sets of pads that you can try to see if it effects the comfort. The EDT 1350 SL is the part number for the supposedly new and slightly "cooshy-er" pads that come with the new Facelift version in case you got the original version and EDT 1350 N is the part number for the replacement velour pads which look interesting. It would be a shame to lose some of the DT1350's amazing isolation but I'd have to think the velour pads would be an improvement in comfort.

The "SL" pads still aren't available here in the states but the "N" velours are. Not sure about New Zealand but its worth looking into.

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #3,600 of 4,010
Cool!! - thanks for the info.

I'm a bit time crunched right now as i leave for India in 1 week today - 
biggrin.gif
 I'll see what I can get my hands on from here though.

Thanks once agin, you've been a big help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back