New best headphones for Rock and Metal
Dec 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:
I listen primarily to rock and metal, and I can say that the most enjoyable headphones for these genres have been Grados.

Have you gently bent the headband of your SR225i to alleviate clamping force? I have a fairly large head, and I bent the headband very far apart so that the ear-pads rest very lightly against my ears. It greatly enhances comfort. Make sure to try this if you haven't done so already.

Apart from Grados, some headphones that I thought sounded pretty good with rock and metal are the Q701 and the HD600.

The Q701 is airy, has great mids and highs, and pretty good bass. However, the sound can be a bit distant-sounding at times, which isn't all too engaging for rock / metal, imo.

The HD600 is a pretty neutral headphone. I really like its mids which to me sounded slightly forward, meaning it reproduces vocals and guitars well with lively presence. It sounds less airy than the Q701, but its sound is more immediate and a little more engaging imo. The only downside is it can sound slightly slow for very fast metal. It has somewhat slow decay which makes complex and quick guitars somewhat "fuzzy".

You might look into the DT-880 as well, though I haven't heard it.

I would avoid the HE-400 for rock and metal, even though it's a very popular headphone now. Its mids just don't excite with vocals and guitars.

Yes Biscuitz, I already tried bending the headband of my SR225i, and my "comfort" problem with those headphones is not clamping force, it is that it feels like "on-ear" headphones, and what I really want is a pair of headphones that encapsulate my ears completely inside. And not to mention that the Grado's foam pads are getting destroyed with every time I use them, and leave this "black dust" on my ears after I take them off. There is no point keep trying with Grados, I really don't want another Grado headphones unless they change their design and constuction COMPLETELY. It would great if I could have those Grado drivers inside the cups of a Sennheiser, V-Moda, Sony, Audio Technika, etc., but I doubt it wouldn't affect its distinctive signature sound. As you can see, my problem with Grado is not their sound, I just want a totally different type of cans, that cover my ears completely and with a more solid build. Thanks very much Biscuitz for your reply and suggestions.
Quote:
+1 for the grado, And yes definitly pull the headband apart almost to a horizontal position a few times ( as needed ) until they are shaped like a U and let the drivers just rest on your ears with no pressure and you wont even feel them. Remember the band is spring metal so it wants to return to it's origanal shape so this must be done for a while from time to time until they stay were you they comfortable.

Yes Joseph, as I just mentioned above, I have done that already but my issues with Grado go far beyond that, but I would love that sound in a pair of cans like the V-Modas M-80/M-100, Sennheisers 5XX/6XX or other ones like that. So I don't know which ones are the next best ones for my favorite styles of music. Very confused now :S
Thanks once again Joseph.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #17 of 20
I'm one of the few that thinks the Q701 sounds good for rock and metal. More specifically progressive rock and progressive metal, not the growling death metal. Opeth is about as extreme as I get. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #18 of 20
Thanks for your opinion Jason. I never tried the headphones you mentioned, but the music I listen to is more in the melodic side of the spectre, not too fast or aggressive or extreme, that's why I want a pair of headphones of great clarity in detail, accuracy and just enough punchy bass for a nice bottom end. I don't know which one I should get. This iheadphone world is a wonderful one but can be confusing at times :D

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #19 of 20
Sounds like the Q701 to me. 
L3000.gif

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion Jason. I never tried the headphones you mentioned, but the music I listen to is more in the melodic side of the spectre, not too fast or aggressive or extreme, that's why I want a pair of headphones of great clarity in detail, accuracy and just enough punchy bass for a nice bottom end. I don't know which one I should get. This iheadphone world is a wonderful one but can be confusing at times :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back