New Balanced Schiit Amps? The information and anticipation thread.
Jun 27, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #316 of 335
Quote:
Just to bust your chops a bit here :wink: You know he won't tell you that. He would be limiting the sales of his products, and if he does it will be "Yes, of course!" He is leaving it to us HeadFi'ers to be the proper judge... I suppose I am the "high impedance" guinea pig lol :wink:

blink.gif

basshead.gif

confused_face_2.gif

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #317 of 335
Quote:
Just to bust your chops a bit here :wink: You know he won't tell you that. He would be limiting the sales of his products, and if he does it will be "Yes, of course!" He is leaving it to us HeadFi'ers to be the proper judge... I suppose I am the "high impedance" guinea pig lol :wink:

Actually, once you get to know us a little better, you'll find that we don't care too much about "limiting the sales of our products." I can't count the times I've told someone to buy better headphones before purchasing any of our products, or recommended Asgard over Lyr, or told someone that the amp they want to buy won't serve their chosen headphones well, or weighed the pros and cons of getting one amp over another for a range of headphones.

You'll also note we never really speculate on possible perceived sonic differences (we consider that to be a reviewer's realm--and your realm.) Anything we say is a "hard sell." That's for used-car dealers, not audio products. We're not going to tell you you'll be seeing god and our amps will change your life. Because everyone hears differently. What we hear isn't necessarily what you hear. Preferences vary. Systems vary. So we keep our mouths shut, and let you make your own decisions. 

And finally, you'll also notice we don't talk crap about other products. Ever. In public or private. It pisses off a ton of people, who want to hear why the Asgard will absolutely annihilate the Arglebargle XZ-1. Again, that's for reviewers. We consider that also to be part of the "hard sell," and therefore anathema to us.

Back to Mjolnir, though: it really is our first "universal" headphone amp, as much as any amp can be universal. It has tons of voltage output for high-impedance headphones, it has tons of current capability for low-impedance headphones, it is really amazingly quiet (like 10dB less noise than Asgard), so it's totally suitable for high-sensitivity phones, while it also has a ton of power for, say, HE-6s. The one tiny, baby, little catch: everything has to be balanced. Yeah, I know. 

Bottom line: we don't operate like most other organizations. We don't do the hard sell. We assume you're intelligent, and can make your own choices. We say what we do and do what we say, without tearing others down. We're not a bunch of MBAs and lawyers, looking for every weasel-word we can pack into a product description. We build our products efficiently and price them based on what they cost to make, not based on what we think we can sell them for.

And yes, it really is that simple.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #318 of 335
Jason,

Thank you so much for your honest and no non-sense reply, I really do appreciate that and am looking forward to enjoying the Mjolnir :) Only if other people in the audio industry were so honest and open to their clients/customers. Apologies if I had offended you, I'm just sick and tired of the same old salesman spiel that I see right through it every time. I am a "hard sell" to a status quo salesman and some are wise enough to leave me alone, and the ones that aren't will tell me "Oh, this is way better than that..." Thanks again Jason :)
Quote:

Actually, once you get to know us a little better, you'll find that we don't care too much about "limiting the sales of our products." I can't count the times I've told someone to buy better headphones before purchasing any of our products, or recommended Asgard over Lyr, or told someone that the amp they want to buy won't serve their chosen headphones well, or weighed the pros and cons of getting one amp over another for a range of headphones...

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #319 of 335
Quote:

Actually, once you get to know us a little better, you'll find that we don't care too much about "limiting the sales of our products." I can't count the times I've told someone to buy better headphones before purchasing any of our products, or recommended Asgard over Lyr, or told someone that the amp they want to buy won't serve their chosen headphones well, or weighed the pros and cons of getting one amp over another for a range of headphones.

You'll also note we never really speculate on possible perceived sonic differences (we consider that to be a reviewer's realm--and your realm.) Anything we say is a "hard sell." That's for used-car dealers, not audio products. We're not going to tell you you'll be seeing god and our amps will change your life. Because everyone hears differently. What we hear isn't necessarily what you hear. Preferences vary. Systems vary. So we keep our mouths shut, and let you make your own decisions. 

And finally, you'll also notice we don't talk crap about other products. Ever. In public or private. It pisses off a ton of people, who want to hear why the Asgard will absolutely annihilate the Arglebargle XZ-1. Again, that's for reviewers. We consider that also to be part of the "hard sell," and therefore anathema to us.

Back to Mjolnir, though: it really is our first "universal" headphone amp, as much as any amp can be universal. It has tons of voltage output for high-impedance headphones, it has tons of current capability for low-impedance headphones, it is really amazingly quiet (like 10dB less noise than Asgard), so it's totally suitable for high-sensitivity phones, while it also has a ton of power for, say, HE-6s. The one tiny, baby, little catch: everything has to be balanced. Yeah, I know. 

Bottom line: we don't operate like most other organizations. We don't do the hard sell. We assume you're intelligent, and can make your own choices. We say what we do and do what we say, without tearing others down. We're not a bunch of MBAs and lawyers, looking for every weasel-word we can pack into a product description. We build our products efficiently and price them based on what they cost to make, not based on what we think we can sell them for.

And yes, it really is that simple.

Jason - you are the SCHIIT 
blink.gif

wink_face.gif

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #320 of 335
I have no doubt that the Mjolnir is going to be awesome. Now when can we expect an announcement for the upcoming statement amplifiers Jason?

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #324 of 335
Okay, guys...

I have good news, and I have bad news.

The good news is that Mjolnir is looking very cool indeed (see attached nonprofessional pics--the pro stuff is still coming.)

The bad news is that they're currently not shippable. The last batch of metal we got in was the bottom piece (this is a 3-piece chassis, unlike all of our others--the aluminum is in two pieces.) And they all are dinged and nicked (see other attached photo--yes, I know it looks small, but it's a lot uglier in real life.) 

This is a gigantic shock, since the guys we work with for metal parts have been dead-reliable since we started up with them. They're only 20 minutes away from our office, so we're going to go down today and see what we can do about it.

But, bottom line, we won't be shipping this week. We may not be shipping next week. It all depends on how quickly we can get this fixed. 

I've updated the site, and we'll keep you apprised of when we expect to ship. We'll get this worked out as fast as we can. And apologies on the delay.

All the best,
Jason

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #325 of 335
Pictures of the Mjolnir prototype were unappealing but the real deal looks nice. Shame about the delay.

Would it be safe to stack the Bifrost on top of the amp, or does the Mjolnir get too hot?

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #326 of 335
Quote:

How can this not be appealing
biggrin.gif
  Most amplifiers look at this circuit board and get power supply envy.  I just wish it came out about 2 months ago when I bought my current setup.  Hopefully someone brings one of these to the upcoming Sydney meet so I can hear it anyway.

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #328 of 335
^ I kind of like the lack of powdercoating and logos (scratches are permissible); I somehow don't think most people would agree with me on that though
tongue_smile.gif
  The former probably is too close the industrial design of another manufacturer though.

Final product looks pretty good though, just needs a Gungnir to go with it
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #329 of 335
Ah well the Mjolnir was coming along too smoothly anyways
wink_face.gif

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #330 of 335
Quick update: the chassis guys are stepping up, and I expect to be shipping by the 14th, as stated on the site. Keep your fingers crossed, though--you never know what's going to happen until the parts are actually here. Tons of boards are here and ready to go, so it's really down to the chassis. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back