New Audiolab DAC
Sep 19, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #766 of 878
  Even the guy who made it said USB sounds better.

I'm not disbelieving you, but could you please point me to that quote? I'd like to read about this.
Thanks.

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #768 of 878
Oh im going to struggle to find the direct quote now, but if you head over to the Mdac first listen thread on PinkFishMedia, the guy who made it posts there and that's what he said, when I was trying to figure out the best connection method.......I too had an STX + coax. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #770 of 878
Just ordered an MDAC from Audio Express, free Yamaha headphones too - they sell for well over a £100 so not a bad deal I thought. Read about the upgrades and then the MDac2 so was a little nervous and dispirited with money burning a hole in my pocket and the DAC I fancy about to be surpassed but if I read correctly a new complete unit will be almost £900.

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #771 of 878
Just arrived and it's a lovely looking unit, display is great and even shows the track time. Not sure about burn in but I do believe it takes a while for your ears to become accustomed to new sources and headphones, then after a while you can appreciate what you are hearing. Some songs sound better than others, I'm listening through the headphone jack - wanted an all in one solution otherwise I would have probably gone for the Rega DAC. Volume more than okay for my Ultrasones and 40 year old ears, don't have to turn it up very loud at all.

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #773 of 878
MDAC 2 wont be worth the price if you already own an mdac.....there is no way the mdac can sound 2x better as a dac. 

also ealier discussion made me try COAX via my STX, an  I am getting much better results out of my STX via COAX than I ever Did through USB. 

Anyone have an explanation for this?

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #774 of 878
Can anyone tell me whether an integrated amp should have an earth wire, I have connected my very old Pioneer (+20 years) to my MDAC and the DAC power switch won't work. If I hold it in the display starts up and it plays but let go and it switches right off. Took out the analogue cables to it and the unit switches on okay again, so it's being tripped.

They did manage to work for a while and nothing blew up.  I listen through the MDAC - didn't spend six hundred quid to not use the inbuilt head amp but have been spoilt by those bass and treble dials over the years and don't want to throw the Pioneer away, music sounds so nice through it.

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #775 of 878
Some of the better thought out DACs have a grounding point of some sort in order to take care of the issue that you just ran into. I am surprised that John overlooked this.

My solution is to:
Get a piece of insulated wire of about 1 meter. You can strip an old power cord of its outer insulation and then cut out one of the cables inside to give you a length of insulated wire.
Next: strip about 2cm or a thumb's width of insulation off both ends of the wire.
Unplug the DAC and amplifier from the mains. Don't just switch them OFF. You must physically remove the plug from the mains socket on the wall.
Twist the copper strands of each end a bit so that you don't have any tiny wires floating about and stabbing you in your Fingers.
Then look for a screw point on the DAC to wrap one end of the bare wires around it. You will need a screwdriver to undo a screw a little bit to do this.
Repeat the above process on a screw on the amplifier side.
Now plug the DAC and amp back into the mains and try them out. The problem should be now solved if it is an earth loop problem.

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #777 of 878
Something very unexpected happened.  I switched out the plain old USB printer cable I've been using with the AudioQuest Carbon and I can't believe how much better it sounds.  Never thought cables made much difference especially digital but it's there.  I am very surprised. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #778 of 878
  Something very unexpected happened.  I switched out the plain old USB printer cable I've been using with the AudioQuest Carbon and I can't believe how much better it sounds.  Never thought cables made much difference especially digital but it's there.  I am very surprised. 

I was using a printer cable! Everything sounded sharp and harsh.....I switched to Coax and everything improved dramatically. 

do you have a link for this USB cable?

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #779 of 878
I really am hoping I don't have to set the MDAC as the default device in Windows every time I want to listen to my PC through it if using USB. Just want to switch between sources and enjoy. Bad enough I ordered a Coax in/Toslink out converter box - no wonder no sound was coming out my X-fi sound card to the MDAC. My Motherboard has a Toslink out but that cut the speakers off.

Just tried USB, albeit with an extension cable and all I got was static and 'flushing buffer' messages.

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #780 of 878

I was using a printer cable! Everything sounded sharp and harsh.....I switched to Coax and everything improved dramatically. 

do you have a link for this USB cable?

Here is a review:  http://www.goodsound.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=278:audioquest-carbon

I never used the other AudioQuest cables mentioned in that review but going from generic USB cable to the Carbon is a nice upgrade, at least in my system.

Asus Z87 Deluxe motherboard USB out to MDAC USB in to Parasound HALO A23 amp to Paradigm Signature S1 speakers.  For headphones I use DT880 out from the MDAC. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back