New Audiolab DAC
Jan 1, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #556 of 878
Quote:
Is that in the picture a Metrum Octave? Is it in the same league as the others?

Yes. To be honest I am still quite amazed by those findings but I have no doubt about it as I tried very hard to detect differences. My friend couldn't either so I know it is not just because of earwax 
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #557 of 878
I believe you! sometimes we simply want to listen to differences, and if one listens for them will find them.
The 2 most different dacs I've ever heard are the Young and the Neko D100...they really sound like night and day...not better, but different.

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #558 of 878
Still curious about the Neko D100. I was on the list to try it after you but I was away when my turn came 
frown.gif
 The Neko use transformers as output so that is very likely to have an impact on the sound.
My theory so far is that with today technology it is quite easy and relatively cheap to produce a completely transparent DAC. Of course it is also very easy for manufacturers to tune their products to sound different if they want.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #559 of 878
hey folks
I've got a question, how do i roll back from vA.08 firmware to the old 0.90 firmware as it's supposed to sound better.
i can't find a good instruction.

do i have to set the mdac to the default settings and then install the older firmware as usual?
please help as i really don't know.

thanks.

edit: on the faq page there are no instruction of downgrading the firmware.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #561 of 878
hey folks
I've got a question, how do i roll back from vA.08 firmware to the old 0.90 firmware as it's supposed to sound better.
i can't find a good instruction.

do i have to set the mdac to the default settings and then install the older firmware as usual?
please help as i really don't know.

thanks.

edit: on the faq page there are no instruction of downgrading the firmware.

You can download the older firmware from planet of sound distribution. Just run the .exe file. The mdac will roll back to the older firmware no problem.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #562 of 878
The aforementioned M-DAC Wikkii also has a download link. Same procedure for all firmware versions (OS dependent). I wouldn't bother with a factory-reset beforehand. If something's funky after the downgrade, you can always do it then.

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #563 of 878
thanks guys.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #564 of 878
...Now I spend the last four days A/B four dacs in a proper way and it doesn't matter how hard I tried I can't detect any differences :confused:

What version/filter/0 or 180° are you using on the mdac?

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #565 of 878
Quote:
Well, I replaced the Mytek Stereo 96 with a M-DAC. When I first got the M-DAC I was convinced it was more detailed than the Mytek so it was sold few days later. The MDAC became my fith DACs in the space of one year. While it was obvious differences were subtle between DACs, every times I though my last one was slighlty better than the previous ones.
Now I spend the last four days A/B four dacs in a proper way and it doesn't matter how hard I tried I can't detect any differences 
confused.gif

What headphone amp are you using? Am indecisive about whether to sell my Dacmagic for peanuts or keep it around for the sake of prosperity

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #567 of 878
I'm glad my thread is getting a lot of hype!!!! I have bought an mdac to be put in the middle of my audiolab 8000cd and a tweaked version of the hpa 100 which kind of makes it inbetween a hpa100 and hpa200 into my akgk702's.... I'm getting a surpringly vast amount of detail and bottom end for a headphone which many claim has no bass... Suckers I have too much bass and clarity it's frightening!!! The timing is so sharp its murderous. Especially for akg people

Waiting for new PSU upgrades to my CDP and the MPAX and to be launched...

Anyway I'm happy this thread is huge!!

The instigator of this thread,

Brumagician

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #568 of 878
Quote:
Well, I replaced the Mytek Stereo 96 with a M-DAC. When I first got the M-DAC I was convinced it was more detailed than the Mytek so it was sold few days later. The MDAC became my fith DACs in the space of one year. While it was obvious differences were subtle between DACs, every times I though my last one was slighlty better than the previous ones.
Now I spend the last four days A/B four dacs in a proper way and it doesn't matter how hard I tried I can't detect any differences 
confused.gif

I posted this elsewhere more extensively, but in my case it was 3 DACs of increasing price, and the same thing: I couldn't really tell the difference even when hooked up to a switch with similar cabling and going back and forth. The only difference I was able to spot with some consistency was the tube out on the Maverick (vs its own SS, as well as all the others) But it's tube out, so coloration is to be expected...

Since I use tube amps (love the looks of your LittleDot!) I didn't need an extra helping of tube sound, so I sold it and all the others. The I ones have now, the M-DAC and the Yulong, were mostly acquired because I needed a balanced option and I both like them a lot and use them in my two setups (work area & living room). I think they both deliver nice clean sound despite their rather different approach to D/A conversion. I'm not planning to replace either one anytime soon. I have found more impact and possibly improvement can be gained from amp choice (and tube choice if applicable) than from DAC changes within the same price bracket.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #569 of 878
My 1 month old M-DAC developed the "no comms" issue. Thankfully Planet of Sound Distribution is taking care of me and sending a brand new replacement.

Listening to just the Asus STX in my system now really makes me appreciate the M-DAC. Big difference.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #570 of 878
Thank you, zenpunk
I am not shure, wich file is the best one
Currently skiping with a.08 between:
Optimal Transient XD 0
Optimal spectrum. 180
Minimum phase 0

If anyone has more information about the filters, please share - thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back