New Audiolab DAC
Mar 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #316 of 878
anyone else find sometimes the Mdac on button doesn't immediately work..takes a few goes to work? Or a firm push versus a click? 

Actually realised later that the button is fine...just the external PSU takes a minute to warm up. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #317 of 878

Very strange, the PSU shouldn't take a minute to warm up.
It's not a vacuum tube power supply.

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #319 of 878
It's probably just the microprocessor booting up.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #320 of 878
The demand vs supply for these is incredible.  The Canadian distributor has already allocated all the pre-order units for till end of May.
eek.gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #321 of 878
really.. maybe think about ordering internationally from UK? I got mine from Sevenoaks audio. 600 pounds sterling. Do a google 
UK product search for it, and i bet you can get one sent over. 

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #323 of 878

Quote:
Hey Guys - would the m-Dac be a good upgrade for me? Currently using an iBasso D10 with Grado SR 325s (from a Macbook Pro)?

Absolutely. IMO, the m-Dac isnt quite as good as the best Ess 9018 DACs but it's the cheapest one (apart from the Yulong D18 which doesnt have usb) and sounds close to if not as good as more expensive options like the W4S Dac2 and the Calyx Dac.

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #324 of 878
I tried the MDAC at home for a week and thought it was very good indeed.  Build quality is good, the user interface is very intuitive, and sound quality very detailed and musical sounding.

The only reason I didn't hold onto it was the timing in some music (which I am very familiar with) seemed a little off - not obviously, but enough just to make you think 'that's not how I usually hear that'.

Now this could be the laptop, software or both*.  I noticed it a couple of times but otherwise it was fantastic.

Has anyone used a usb/spdiff convertor on this?  I wonder if that improves things?

* 5 year old laptop running vista and J River.

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #325 of 878
Well I am happy to say I received my MDAC from Planet of Sound this morning and is everything I hoped it to be. I was previously using a V-DAC II with Pangea power supply and the difference is huge for me.
Over the last 6 hours its really starting to smooth out and wow does this thing look nice! Love the display! Have not really sat down and checked out all the features but so happy I got this. Looking forward to connecting the AKG 701's...
Can't wait to hear how the sound changes over the next days.

Didn't think I could improve the sound of my Rega Apollo-R but wow this MDAC did the trick.

This is my first Audiolab component and looking forward to getting the 8200AP when it comes out.

http://pinterest.com/djvitamind/the-studio/

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #326 of 878

Quote:
Has anyone used a usb/spdiff convertor on this?  I wonder if that improves things?

I just got my MDAC this morning and currently have it connected to my pc via USB. I do have a M2TECH hiFace and going to try that out to see if there is much of a difference. Just waiting for a longer cable to arrive. I am very curious myself...

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #327 of 878

Quote:
Well I am happy to say I received my MDAC from Planet of Sound this morning and is everything I hoped it to be. I was previously using a V-DAC II with Pangea power supply and the difference is huge for me.
Over the last 6 hours its really starting to smooth out and wow does this thing look nice! Love the display! Have not really sat down and checked out all the features but so happy I got this. Looking forward to connecting the AKG 701's...
Can't wait to hear how the sound changes over the next days.

Didn't think I could improve the sound of my Rega Apollo-R but wow this MDAC did the trick.

This is my first Audiolab component and looking forward to getting the 8200AP when it comes out.

http://pinterest.com/djvitamind/the-studio/

Hi DJ,

I am also interested in the MDAC and look forward to your opinions as the DAC gets more time on it. I am from Ottawa and the Planet of Sound guy here told me the MDAC is not available until late April.. if that.. so it looks like it's going to be quite the wait..but that's fine with me as I can wait a few months. What other DACs have you heard and how does the MDAC compare in your opinion ? The Anedio D2 is on my very short list as it is highly regarded (D1 / D2) and well reviewed. But if the MDAC gets close enough to the D2 at a lower price, that is what has me thinking about the MDAC vs the D2, or others in the $1500 range. Then there's the "satement" DAC from Schitt coming in the fall that also looks promising, so many DACs !

Let us know how your MDAC matures / evolves over the next few weeks !

Cheers
Riker

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #328 of 878

Quote:

Hi DJ,

I am also interested in the MDAC and look forward to your opinions as the DAC gets more time on it. I am from Ottawa and the Planet of Sound guy here told me the MDAC is not available until late April.. if that.. so it looks like it's going to be quite the wait..but that's fine with me as I can wait a few months. What other DACs have you heard and how does the MDAC compare in your opinion ? The Anedio D2 is on my very short list as it is highly regarded (D1 / D2) and well reviewed. But if the MDAC gets close enough to the D2 at a lower price, that is what has me thinking about the MDAC vs the D2, or others in the $1500 range. Then there's the "satement" DAC from Schitt coming in the fall that also looks promising, so many DACs !

Let us know how your MDAC matures / evolves over the next few weeks !

Cheers
Riker

Hey Riker,

I live in the US and placed an order, about 2 months ago, for it and was told it was not coming in stock until May. Got a tracking number last week but it kept coming up as not found so I assumed they were just getting the packages ready for when stock arrived. Sick of waiting I placed an order for the Schiit Bifrost DAC early this morning. About 30 minutes later the MDAC arrived and I cancelled the Bifrost order through Amazon.

My previous DAC was the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II which I honestly liked but was not into the actual shape and form. It had a nice sound to it for sure plus I noticed a big difference when I added a different power supply. It's all on eBay now as I don't need it. 

I've read so much about the MDAC and so far so good. I've also read great things about the Bifrost and was looking forward to hearing it..plus I liked how it is upgradable...but now that I have the MDAC it is safe to say I am happy...for now. This DAC stuff is addicting.

I have a tape loop set up where I can run the MDAC straight or through a tube buffer and I still prefer the sound through the buffer.

I was hoping to hear some major differences with the various filters but nothing really hit me. But I've honestly not had the time to sit down and listen to it without doing something in the background.

For $899.00 I'd say I got my monies worth.

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #329 of 878

Quote:
The demand vs supply for these is incredible.  The Canadian distributor has already allocated all the pre-order units for till end of May.
eek.gif

I must say I'm shocked - I didn't realise you have Audiolab distributors in Canada. Or electricity, for that matter.  
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #330 of 878

Quote:

I was hoping to hear some major differences with the various filters but nothing really hit me.

That was my experience as well, but if you read on pink fish media there are a lot of folks saying that its only until the caps burn in that the unit really opens up and then the filters do make a difference.

After a weeks home demo I am certain I never got to hear the MDAC at its very best.  I need to borrow one again me thinks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back