New Audiolab DAC
Mar 27, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #331 of 878
My Audiolab just arrived and I must say its better then my Benchmark USB DAC that I paid about 1200-1300 bucks for.
I am using a Squeezebox Touch feeding a coax cable to the Audiolab and xlr's to my Genelec's.I havent USB yet .

After 4 hours,it trumps my 1 1/2 year old Benchmark in nearly every way.

Im very impressed.

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #333 of 878

Quote:

Hey Riker,

I live in the US and placed an order, about 2 months ago, for it and was told it was not coming in stock until May. Got a tracking number last week but it kept coming up as not found so I assumed they were just getting the packages ready for when stock arrived. Sick of waiting I placed an order for the Schiit Bifrost DAC early this morning. About 30 minutes later the MDAC arrived and I cancelled the Bifrost order through Amazon.

My previous DAC was the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II which I honestly liked but was not into the actual shape and form. It had a nice sound to it for sure plus I noticed a big difference when I added a different power supply. It's all on eBay now as I don't need it. 

I've read so much about the MDAC and so far so good. I've also read great things about the Bifrost and was looking forward to hearing it..plus I liked how it is upgradable...but now that I have the MDAC it is safe to say I am happy...for now. This DAC stuff is addicting.

I have a tape loop set up where I can run the MDAC straight or through a tube buffer and I still prefer the sound through the buffer.

I was hoping to hear some major differences with the various filters but nothing really hit me. But I've honestly not had the time to sit down and listen to it without doing something in the background.

For $899.00 I'd say I got my monies worth.

Hey DJ,

Thanks for your feedback. I am at the point where it's either the Audiolab MDAC or the Anedio D2.. I know that the D2 is by all accounts, amazing, but I have not heard it in person. And the D2 is $500 more than the MDAC. I don't have an issue paying more, if I do indeed "get" more. The guy here a Planet of Sound said the MDAC is 98% as good as the Weiss DAC2 (not the 202) and the best DAC they have heard under $2K.  But again I never heard the Weiss D2 or 202, can't afford it anyways :)

I will be using my new DAC, whatever it ends up being, with a Sonos system connected via digital Coax to the DAC, then balanced out (or SE depending) to my pre-processor (Anthem AVM20) then balanced out to 2 channel Anthem amplifier. I don't plan on using USB or Headphones..but if it's there, well it's there.

It would be great if someone had the opportunity to do a head to head comparison of the Audiolab MDAC and the Anedio D2.. :)

Please keep your impressions coming as the DAC "matures" with time !

Cheers
Riker

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #334 of 878
I would also love to hear continuing impressions as i will not be able to get my hands on one of these for probably several months... damn the high demand!

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #335 of 878
Riker, I am in exactly the same position as you. I'm in the UK and the Audiolab can be ordered via UK websites, it's easy to get here (although very popular and stock is limited). The Anedio would be not only cost £400 more (£599 vs roughly £1000), but then I'd have to pay more for both shipping and customs fees, realistically putting another £100 at least on top. If anything goes wrong with the M-DAC, it's easy to deal with. The D2? Not so much.

With the M-DAC however, the USB is not galvanically isolated, so I would need to buy an isolator (£30)... if I use it that is. I go out of the toslink from my Mac at the moment but I'd be interested in comparing USB to optical toslink to see if one implementation has been done better than the other.

I think as much as I'd like the D2, it's £500 that I could put towards my portable rig/customs, so my head says just get the M-DAC.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #337 of 878
Indeed. Ultimately though we all work to a budget and although I can afford the extra, given I want custom IEMs, a new portable source, I'm building speakers, I want my bedroom redecorated and a whole host of other things, it's probably sensible to stick to what I roughly set out to spend originally!

Hey, jimmypowder, care to elaborate why you prefer it to the Benchmark? 

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #338 of 878
Well i just pre-ordered one from planet of sound, so i should have it late May. Words cannot express how excited i am for this DAC!

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #339 of 878
You shall not be disappointed. I should know. I'm using one now.

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #340 of 878
I have one waiting at the local dealer for me.  Someone must have passed on their pre-order or they got more units than expected.  The planet of sound website still shows mid April for silver and mid May for Black,  Was thinking of ordering online from the UK but the it would have cost $200cnd more after shipping, taxes and duty.

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #341 of 878

Quote:
I must say I'm shocked - I didn't realize you have Audiolab distributors in Canada. Or electricity, for that matter.  
biggrin.gif

hehe.  I'm surprised too that we have a distributor in Canada but none in the US.

Mar 29, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #344 of 878

Quote:
I'd be curious to know how it measures--using the literal, technical meaning of the verb to measure--against the CA DacMagic + and the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC-A.

Do you mean you want to compare their dimensions, in inches perhaps? It would be hard to get more literal/technical than that, but you'll have to look up the specs yourself.

Mar 29, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #345 of 878
Not quite.  I was thinking more along the lines of independently measured performance, specs, etc.  My apologies, I'm just trying to keep us somewhat honest and somewhat grounded to fact...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back