New Audiolab DAC
Feb 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #301 of 878
Hi guys, greetings from Ireland!

Someone had already a chance to compare M--DAC vs. Havana?

Personally, I love NOS-DAC's, but I'm always open for other solutions... Problem is, I'v never found oversampling DAC beating Havana in general musicality, fun factor and lack of any digital harshness.
Maybe M-DAC could be "this one"?

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #302 of 878
hmm.... I wonder how Mdac compare against  Rein Audio XDAC and Violectric V800 DAC in terms of Neutrality and transparency sound quality ?

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #303 of 878
i managed to get some time with the vioelectric not too long ago. A buddy of mine is nuts over it and so he wanted me to give him my impressions. I must say it is a really fine dac not just for the price, but plain good, period. It gives that see-through ability and allows you to look into the recording, enjoying the fine nuances of the music.

I had the mdac for a while (sold it). For my setup and my ears, the vio had a slight edge in musicality, while not in any way, lose out in transparency compared to the mdac. The mdac is particularly picky about what system it's paired with. With the wrong speakers or cans (especially orthos), it can be a little too unforgiving. They are both great DACs but for me, the vio's better. No comments on the xdac since i haven't heard it.

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #304 of 878
any thoughts on the m-dac paired with HD 650s? Do they match? Also im running a v neutral amp (SPL Auditor) 

How do the Benchmark DACs fit into the DAC landscape? In terms of sound? 

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #305 of 878

Quote:
Hi guys, greetings from Ireland!

Someone had already a chance to compare M--DAC vs. Havana?

Personally, I love NOS-DAC's, but I'm always open for other solutions... Problem is, I'v never found oversampling DAC beating Havana in general musicality, fun factor and lack of any digital harshness.
Maybe M-DAC could be "this one"?

You have the Metrum octave Nos DAC tha had excellent reviews.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #306 of 878

Quote:
How does the integrated headphone amp drive Sennheiser HD650s?
I have ordered the M-Dac and am thinking of upgrading from HD598 to HD650.
Since the HD598 are fairly easy to drive, I don't think that would be any problem.
But has anybody had the pleasure of listening on the M-Dac with the HD650s?

HI there,

I may be able to give you a reasonable insight into this set up.

my  set up is an onkyo 5009 emotiva XP-5, Monitor Audio RX-8 ... source is Marantz NA7004 playing FLAC from Qnap NAS.  I do have a tube pre-amp, however while I'm comparing and breaking it in, I didn't use the tube pre-amp.

I have a HD650, with moon audio Silver V3 cable (500+ hours in it), Mdac, Dacmagic plus.  As a source I've used the Marantz NA7004, ipod digital connection.  The files were FLAC, mostly 16/44, some 24/98 and 24/88... with the DacMagic plus I also tried 24/192.

FIrst using the Onkyo 5009 direct - not a bad presentation, it has 32bit Dacs built in, good bass and 'clean sound'.  Its fine, but once you compare with tube and better dacs you start to hear that you were missing some warmth and ambiance.... 

the Dacmagic Plus was my first DAC.  It works well out of the box and is 'unfussy'.  It gives music more detail, spaciousness and fuller presentation.  However, it is not a warm DAC and I also found that voices were rather 'thin' for my taste in music.... its better than the onkyo direct, it works well in USB mode, handles HD audio files without issues.  I had paired at home with Monitor Audio RX8 speakers, and even running it through tube stage, the voices were on the thin side, and the monitor audio are rather bright speakers..... so if you paired the DM+ with warm/neutral speakers, its probably a good thing... ie: Quads, etc... 

Using the inbuilt DAC on the Marantz NA7004, is actually not bad.  Music sounds warm and natural, very smooth... not a bad combination for bright speakers... I like this setting for many 'light songs' in my set up, so I did A/B testing through my tube pre-amp, and the Marantz does have a very natural sound.  However, the Marantz doesn't have the extra detail, music resolution and bottom end of the DacMagic Plus.... so depending on the music, I found myself swaping between the DM+ and the NA7004 direct..... 

After having the DM+ for about 3 weeks, I ended up buying the MDac.  THe DM+ now is at my office, serviing as a dac to my laptop feeding Sennheiser IE8 headphones.... it sounds brilliant, and matches well with the warm ie8 sound..... .

Back to the MDac.

the Good - 16/44 music sounds solid, warmish, taught bass, and controlled highs.  It adds ambiance to the music (specially with optimal transient XD filter).  As i'm still brning in the unit, ie: 4 days of being on non-stop, I'm sure the sound will only get better .... 

the headphone section of the MDac is also pretty good... better then the DM+, sounded very good through the HD650 .... that said, for headphones only, I still would prefer my GoVibe PortaTube.... not as detailed, but more ambiance and smoother.... 

the Bad - HD audio doesn't synch.24/88, 24/96 files don't play, stuter all the time - I know there is a fix on the way, and I'm really keen to try the benefits of HD audio.... and yet, I'm very, very pleased with 16/44 performance.

in Summary

DM+ - upgrade to most systems, very detailed, good bottom end, misses some mid range, and voices sound thin.  Partnered with a DT770, or warm speakers, it will be fine.  Handles both normal and HD audio perfectly!

MDac - solid Dac. very good composition of music in both low, mid and higher range - the filters do change the presentation somewhat - right now my favourites are Optimal transient, and optimal transient XD.  Good headphone amp..... the bad is it doesn't handle HD audio, stutters, etc.. 

Bear in mind that I have bright speakers.... they are not fully burned in yet either .... a month or so of 24/7 playing music.... 

I'm still waiting to receive my woo audio W2, and it will be a good comparisson with the Mdac .... 

hope this helps... but there's nothing like listening to it yourself, with your source and your gear..... 

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #307 of 878
Interesting...I can play back 24/88 (SACD conversions), 24/96 (DVD-A), 24/176 (HDtracks) and 24/192 (HDtracks) via digital coax in with zero issues...No stutter, signal drops, only music played back as expected...

Quote:
the Bad - HD audio doesn't synch.24/88, 24/96 files don't play, stuter all the time - I know there is a fix on the way, and I'm really keen to try the benefits of HD audio.... 

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #308 of 878

Quote:
Interesting...I can play back 24/88 (SACD conversions), 24/96 (DVD-A), 24/176 (HDtracks) and 24/192 (HDtracks) via digital coax in with zero issues...No stutter, signal drops, only music played back as expected...

Same here I listen to tracks up to 24/96 over USB with no problem at all.

The larger file sizes should not be a problem for your network but have you tried connecting a computer directly to the dac? It could be your unit but who knows.

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #310 of 878

Quote:
Do any of you know with if the issue with changing filters while using SPDIF has been fixed? Likely to grab a unit tomorrow to compare to my Mytek Stereo96.

No, it hasn't been fixed as yet, it sounds like there may be an official Audiolab firmware update within a week or so which will fix this and a few other issues. There will also be an unofficial "Lakewest" firmware update that will incorporate those fixes plus some other additional features.

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #311 of 878
Wow just got the Mdac today and after several hours listening I am very impressed. It replaced a dacmagic in fairness though:p 
No, seriously, it feels like another layer of veil has been lifted. Listening now to Laurie Anderson Muddy River, if i close my eyes
i can 'feel' that a person is singing it..like it makes more sense to my brain. I noticed this happened also when i stepped up from
no dac and the mstage amp to my spl and a dacmagic...and the new mdac just takes it several steps farther. 

Filters are quite good sofar! particularly into the minimal phase one, nice analogue sound. great for laurie anderson. 
display is really smart looking, lovely db bars bouncing across .. remote also is proving a handy device
and is more intuitive to change the filters etc than reaching out to the dac itself. 

Looking forward to further burn in, and when my furutech formula 2 cable gets here later this week. At the mo, im using
a fisual pearl toslink. Which is certainly no slouch! 

Dan. 

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #312 of 878
holy crap. i prob have only 15 hrs listening done on my MDac it sounds like a different machine compared to when i got it. 
The uppers are now really smooth. brilliant presentation! 

D. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #313 of 878

Quote:
holy crap. i prob have only 15 hrs listening done on my MDac it sounds like a different machine compared to when i got it. 
The uppers are now really smooth. brilliant presentation! 

D. 

Sigh, this is the kind of review that is gonna make me lose my patience and get a M-DAC instead of following my plan and waiting for the Schiit balanced DACs

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #314 of 878
I got my M-DAC today. It totally destroyed my AMB y2. That's all for now.
wink.gif

Not only does it sound great, it has an unmatched feature set at this price point (hell, more like any price point). Very impressive going, John & co.

Setup is PC (USB) -> Audiolab M-DAC (XLR) -> Genelec 7050B -> Genelec 8030A.

I don't own any headphones at the moment so I haven't tried the headphone amplifier yet. Itching for some HD800 for sure...

Mar 8, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #315 of 878
I've been following this thread for a while.
Has anyone actually compared the MDAC to the 8000 CDQ?
I was thinking about getting either a DAC or just going all out and getting an 8000 CDQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back