New Audiolab DAC
Dec 16, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #166 of 878
Subscribed
popcorn.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #167 of 878
Can anybody say how the built in amp compares to a V100? The reason I ask is because I really think it's pretty good and I'm thinking of selling my GS Solo SRG II as the difference between it and the built in one is IMO not that great at all. So ya I want something a bit better and the V100 seems to be pretty badass (Only problem is that it's black) but I'm wondering if that too would just be a sideway step.

I've read that a few here are using the LCD-2 with it and it drives it well and I'm looking to buy a pair soon so if the V100 isn't that great of a forward step I'm going to save a cool £500 which, I can put towards purchasing an LCD-2 (£855 damn quid for a new one!).

Concerning the review: I am totally new to all this and stuff but saying the M-Dac sounds bad either shows how incredibly ignorant I am concerning HiFi equipment or that your unit is totally busted.

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #168 of 878
Thanks John.

I am using normal usb 2.0 cable and the blue one is from Lat International.

Quote:
Nice setup Mav. I like the glow from your PC.
BTW what USB cable is that you are using?

Something is wrong with my PC-MDAC setup. I'm using both iTunes and Foobar and they both failed the bitperfect test which you sent me :frowning2:
Going to have to spend the weekend troubleshooting to see what is going wrong.
Same here, Ive not been getting enough sleep from listening to the MDAC.....but its been shiok! :)

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #169 of 878
Guys. Check this out. Do you think we can use this to check on the MDAC's a synchronization? Found it on the The Well Tempered Computer website http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/

Will test it out tomorrow and report back. 

Cheers.

Thesycon USB Descriptor Dumper

http://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_descriptordumper.shtml

Thesycon’s descriptor dumper is a Windows utility that displays the USB descriptors of any USB device. The dump is in plain text format and can be saved to a file or copy-pasted into an email. This is most useful for developers and technical support personnel.
  1. Works on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, including 64-bit variants.
  2. Does not require any driver or software installation.
  3. Works without administrator privileges.
  4. Does not modify any system settings.
  5. Does not affect normal operation of the USB device to be analyzed.

This piece of freeware can be used to analyze your USB DAC.
Supported bit depth and sample rate, transfer mode, synchronization, buffer size, etc.

AS Format Type 1 Descriptor:

0x18 bBitResolution (24 Bits/sample)
0x04 bSamFreqType (Discrete sampling frequencies)
0x00AC44 tSamFreq(1) (44100 Hz)
0x00BB80 tSamFreq(2) (48000 Hz)
0x015888 tSamFreq(3) (88200 Hz)
0x017700 tSamFreq(4) (96000 Hz)

Endpoint Descriptor (Audio):

Transfer Type: Isochronous-Transfer
Synchronization Type: Adaptive
Usage Type: Data
0x0240 wMaxPacketSize (576 Bytes)

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #170 of 878
I bought the M-DAC in black finish.

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #171 of 878

Quote:
I bought the M-DAC in black finish.

When I was at the store, they had on display a black M-DAC while no silver was on display.

After deliberating for an eternity, I decided to go with the silver one; to match my shiny Burson.

I don't think I regretted it. Though the black unit looked mightily cool as well.

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #172 of 878

Quote:

How does the built-in headphone out compare to the Burson? I'm wondering if it will be a good idea to sell my Burson if I get the M-DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry to have taken so long to reply. Have been spending the past 2 nights burning in the M-DAC. Excting new toy syndrome.

I am not gonna go in depth with regards to comparing M-DAC's amp with Burson HA-160.
The reason for me is very clear; I bought M-DAC for its DAC. Hence, first and foremost, it is the performance as a dedicated DAC I am most interested in. That it has a built-in Class A amp is a bonus to me.

But still, for those who are waiting for the same answer as fomoz, here is what I feel about M-DAC's built-in amp.
It is pretty good and will probably in all probabilty trump majority of the budget amps including Asgard (I have had Asgard with me for around a week, so the comparison is based on what I heard).

M-DAC's amp sounds very good. Bass is deep without being overpowering. Mids is clear and is the right feel to me; neither too thick nor thin (if you guys get what I mean). Treble is well extended and smooth. Transparency and clarity is quite up there.

In general, compared to Burson HA-160, M-DAC's amp sounded less forward. Bass less punchy, though it matches HA-160's deep sounding. Mids is less full than HA-160. Treble is slightly more alive on M-DAC than HA-160, as I have always felt that treble is HA-160's weak spot. Soundstage on both are equally delightful, both in width and depth.

IMHO, M-DAC's amp performance is very impressive. Its amp section is able to compete with the Burson HA-160. But I still prefer HA-160 amp performance, and if I had to give a number, I would say M-DAC is able to attain 80% of HA-160's performance. That is very impressive as I rate HA-160 very highly.

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #173 of 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I recall someone posted as bad review in pinkfish, it sound thin and wrong. In the end it's the speaker jumper wire or something loose. Another one got a bad unit that has hiss....

I'm sure something gone wrong, probably time to sit down and troubleshoot the problem when you have the time, worst is exchange another set from your dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2

Sounds broken....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rangutan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

An interesting (and idiosyncratic) take. Can you go into a little more detail concerning batch number, actual transports and headphones used, filters tried and so on? The incredibly bad SQ you describe suggests to me that the unit was broken -- the MDAC undoubtedly has a flavour but I can imagine no conditions under which it could sound as bad as you describe.

thanks in advance,

o

Originally Posted by 9VARZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, sure! I'll go compile the list and get back to you over the weekend (time for work!).

Alright, boys! Sorry I took so long to get back to you guys. I work in a busy restaurant, and with Christmas around the corner................(you get the idea)

Anyway, on to the basis of my review:

I wasn't able to find any specific manufacturer supplied info except that I gather from my retailer that it's from the first shipment from IAG. I *could* supply a serial number, but I believe that might actually compromise its ability to sell here. Checked with the retailer, it's definitely a working unit as far as we know.

In a nutshell...

Filter: Optimal Spectrum
(settled on this after trying out all the rest, never really liked them - I kept feeling that a little something was missing from the sound, can't point out what, though. Probably the mids or punch.)

Transport: Various laptops (PC and mac) with either iTunes with PureMusic (for mac), JRMC 15/16 or XMplay (latest) - WASAPI for PC enabled; over all possible outputs including SPDIF optical, coax and USB (USB sounds best). Sugden Masterclass PDT-4F CDP over coax. Naim UnitiServe over coax (with BNC to coax converter)

Cables (where applicable): Chord Chorus 2 RCA (analog), Chord Chameleon+ XLR (analog), Chord Signature Digital (coax), Optichord (optical 3.5 to TOSLINK version), Chord Rumour (non-biwire, speaker)

Headphones: Sennheiser HD800 (stock), Denon D5000 (stock), Sennheiser HD600 (re-cabled with GAC-4/1, terminated with Cardas and FP-704 plugs)

Speakers: PMC Fact 8, ProAc Studio 115

Amp: Sugden Masterclass IA-4 over balanced and SE

Tunes: "The Last Resort" album by Trentemøller, "True Stereo" album by Naim Audio, McIntosh Audiophile Test Reference, "Days Dark Exit" album by Felix Laband (+ various others for fooling around with)

Room size: 5m (W) x 7m (D) x 5m (H); speakers placed 2.4m apart; listening point is an approximate equilateral triangle relative to speakers (sitting by the DAC for headphones), arbitrary toe-in (by eye), carpeted wooden floor

(not including sundries at this point, irrelevant at time of review)

Quote:

Sorry to have taken so long to reply. Have been spending the past 2 nights burning in the M-DAC. Excting new toy syndrome.

I am not gonna go in depth with regards to comparing M-DAC's amp with Burson HA-160.
The reason for me is very clear; I bought M-DAC for its DAC. Hence, first and foremost, it is the performance as a dedicated DAC I am most interested in. That it has a built-in Class A amp is a bonus to me.

But still, for those who are waiting for the same answer as fomoz, here is what I feel about M-DAC's built-in amp.
It is pretty good and will probably in all probabilty trump majority of the budget amps including Asgard (I have had Asgard with me for around a week, so the comparison is based on what I heard).

M-DAC's amp sounds very good. Bass is deep without being overpowering. Mids is clear and is the right feel to me; neither too thick nor thin (if you guys get what I mean). Treble is well extended and smooth. Transparency and clarity is quite up there.

In general, compared to Burson HA-160, M-DAC's amp sounded less forward. Bass less punchy, though it matches HA-160's deep sounding. Mids is less full than HA-160. Treble is slightly more alive on M-DAC than HA-160, as I have always felt that treble is HA-160's weak spot. Soundstage on both are equally delightful, both in width and depth.

IMHO, M-DAC's amp performance is very impressive. Its amp section is able to compete with the Burson HA-160. But I still prefer HA-160 amp performance, and if I had to give a number, I would say M-DAC is able to attain 80% of HA-160's performance. That is very impressive as I rate HA-160 very highly.

Very interesting, cos that's what pretty much I initially found also, listening to the unit when it was fresh. I think you'll find that it has quite a lot of detail too (compared to most other products).

But try again after a week, please! Cos that seems to be the tipping point for me, where it started sounding closer and closer to it's cousin (the 8200CDQ). Ideally, an ABX should be in order. :D

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #174 of 878
Hi 9varz. Did u bring the unit down to your retailer to have a listen and check? 

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #175 of 878

Quote:
Very interesting, cos that's what pretty much I initially found also, listening to the unit when it was fresh. I think you'll find that it has quite a lot of detail too (compared to most other products).

But try again after a week, please! Cos that seems to be the tipping point for me, where it started sounding closer and closer to it's cousin (the 8200CDQ). Ideally, an ABX should be in order. :D

Hmm.. I'll let you know if my set still sounds the same as my initial assesment after a week, but I've already stop listening to it as an amp and started to use it as a DAC to feed my Burson.

Sounds very good. Burson seems to have gained some resolution and details.

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #178 of 878
I've been following this thread as I'm waiting to pick up an M-DAC for evaluation from a local dealer. It will be up against my EE DAC which has now become a DIY work in progress.

@ 9VARZ...a bit off topic but I noticed you have a pair of Studio 115s. I also have a pair which are not yet broken in. Would appreciate your comments on these. (They can't be too bad if they're hanging with Fact 8s
smile.gif
)
You can PM me if you do not wish to ruffle feathers.
Thanks

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #179 of 878

Quote:
That assessment above wasn't carried out at my home but at the retailer's. :D

OK thanks for letting me know. I am officially out of ideas.....BTW, your setup invoked much drool from my salivary glands :)

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #180 of 878

Quote:
I've been following this thread as I'm waiting to pick up an M-DAC for evaluation from a local dealer. It will be up against my EE DAC which has now become a DIY work in progress.

I'm excited that you will be writing a review on these 2 DACs! It's because both of them were at the top of my list and the MDAC edged ahead because of its slightly more affordable price. And also because I know you have been experimenting and have lots of experience with the EE. May I know when are you expecting the unit to reach your local dealer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back