New Audio Technica Limited Edition Woodies: ATH-ESW9LTD!!
Feb 28, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #151 of 215
s/n 1722 checking in...

Just received mine today.  Over the coming weeks, I'll be putting them up against the Grado RS2e and ATH-W5000.  It's too early to draw conclusions, with only a couple hours of listening on them, but I will say I like what I'm hearing so far.  They are sounding great right out of the box - quite balanced to my ears, not bass-deficient (though I'm not a basshead, I definitely do not like a bass-shy sound).

More in due course.

Mar 1, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #152 of 215
So overall are these worth it over the ESW9's? I have these headphones burned in really well and very well kept over the last few years. I cherish their looks, style, comfort, and sound (kinda), and it bugs me that another headphone is out there to replace my baby. Is it worth it to upgrade forking over double the price?

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #153 of 215
  So overall are these worth it over the ESW9's? I have these headphones burned in really well and very well kept over the last few years. I cherish their looks, style, comfort, and sound (kinda), and it bugs me that another headphone is out there to replace my baby. Is it worth it to upgrade forking over double the price?

While the ESW9LTD's are IMO "better"...they have not resulted in an ESW9A replacement for me. 

My recabled ESW9A's have excellent forward mids and a full bassy sound...great for portable use.  Comparatively, the ESW9LTD's have better soundstage and detail but have slightly recessed mids and a reduced bass presence. 

I can't seem to part with either, as depending on my mood and use (such as going portable or not), they each have their pluses. 

While looks may be superficial in a headphone, since you comment that you cherish the looks/style of your ESW9, in that department the LTD is hard to beat.

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #154 of 215
I can barely even listen to my esw9 anymore after getting both the esw9ltd and the esw10jpn. The poor esw9 is relegated to beach duty at best, i don't have to worry about them. The detail and dynamics are so much better on the ltd, it's just hard to go back. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #155 of 215
  I can barely even listen to my esw9 anymore after getting both the esw9ltd and the esw10jpn. The poor esw9 is relegated to beach duty at best, i don't have to worry about them. The detail and dynamics are so much better on the ltd, it's just hard to go back. 

The LTD is definitely better...but I'm sad to say that the ESW9 is a guilty pleasure for me.  It's not a reference sound...but I find it musical and I can listen to it for hours with no fatigue.  My ESW9 also really improved after recabling job so it's not the straight stock sound.

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #156 of 215

Sorry dude the esw9 are sweet thats why they been around so long but the new LtD is just another level up with more spacial definition and subtlety.

The LTD is definitely better...but I'm sad to say that the ESW9 is a guilty pleasure for me.  It's not a reference sound...but I find it musical and I can listen to it for hours with no fatigue.  My ESW9 also really improved after recabling job so it's not the straight stock sound.

I can see where you are allured to what made the esw9 so popular with that rich sweet sound but once I herd the LTD I knew Audio Technica is on a great path choice,
because they improved many aspects like the soundstage and instrument separation and details while still keeping a sweet supplness to the sound as the bass has a delicacy of detail to it Or more articulation in the bass.(although less pronounced at times as it is more song dependant and realistic )

Haha After having owned all the "on ear" versions of the "Earsuit" line in the past,
and have to agree with every description you posted in this thread(!).

I just got my ESW9LTD and it's very good at giving a positive (neutall with a touch of sweet) enjoyable coherent sonic image without "angled drivers" or larger cups which is somewhat of a technical feat since it is a larger soundstage than both esw9 and es7 and I would also say surpassing the amazing esw10jpn(in soundstaging but just from memory)...

I feel it having a touch of esw11 in the supple aspect as well as the soundstage,

Something isnteresting (good) happening in lower mids.
can't fully describe but like a pleasing euphoric realism.

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #157 of 215
The 11's have a bigger sound and a bit more effortless. The esw10jpn have them beat still i think however I think i could listen to the esw9ltd longer without fatigue. The 10 is so clear and such micro detail that it could get to be too much over a super long listen. The esw9ltd is a good compromise, and i probably use them most because not as big as the 11 and not as luxurious and rare as the 10, that like you said i hesitate before taking out, and i am one who took the Ed8ltd out on the street since day one of those, so that's saying something.

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #158 of 215
Haha yes I wear the ed8 in winter under my winter hat,
Anf used to wear the esw11ltd & esw9 in summer lol.

Now I have a nice baby in the esw9ltd that strikes a nice middle ground and reminds me a mix of all 3 woodies (esw10jpn, esw11ltd, esw9)..

But like you say those esw10jpn can suck you in!
:)
I stated in past the esw10jpn have the best mids I herd on a portable,
the way bass hits with attack and such solidness.
the bass sound not soft or flabby I haven't herd anywhere since,
but I really prefer my ed8 over all them for wider range of detailing and alot of air.

Yet these esw9ltd have those ed8 beat with the trait of being able to listen long time without fatigue and still have that good level of detail and soundstage which makes it a great mix of traits & compromise..

In this sized can I don't see any headphone this size beating it in these aspects.
edit :
I am really liking the bass extension and lower bass articulation it
is very pleasing when you think of the size it is impressive not in amount but in a sort of ease of pronunciation or ability to convey ..

I have noticed the treble seems very neutral not sparkly or flashy..

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #159 of 215
One more comment. .
before I attained an esw10jpn,
I tried everything I could to increase the esw9.
Custom mods, Germainia mods, etc.

Once I attained an esw10jpn,
I finally herd that excellent sound.
I also had the esw11ltd and full size w3000anv at the time..
so I know exactly what that majic is.

So now that I actually owned an esw10jpn, I tried to capture that majic for those that could not afford an esw10jpn.

My secret project to replicate the sound of an esw10jpn involved an esw9, modded with es700 drivers..
that was the closest I could get to the sound of an esw10jpn,
but it was still a different lower class animal, yet I was satisfied since it had more bass.

I sold all my Earsuit line, for personal reasons, and had some regret untill NOW (!)

For those who missed out on the esw10jpn and esw11ltd,
I have to say DON'T miss out on this unit(!),
as I am satisfied with these to the point that I no longer miss my others(!)
Yet remember, I also use a bigger portable to replace the esw11ltd ( an ed8)..

Just my story,
Take whatever you can out of it.
:)

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #160 of 215
All of this Earsuit line really fits a niche where I haven't found other competitors... 

A musical non-fatiguing sound in a smallish portable package that sounds like a much bigger headphone.  The comfort on them is great, and I always use them on the move when I'm not in an IEM mood.  Since my IEM is a JH-13, that speaks volumes that I can still enjoy an ESW9 or the ESW9LTD without feeling that I am taking an obvious step down in sound quality.

I would still love to hear a ESW10jpn and hope to someday.

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #162 of 215
Wood cover again? 

Don't overlook the advancement that is concealed in a simple wood finish.
Yes real wood and not only special wood,
but the rest of the frame is not your usual black plastic.
It feels light and dry...
like some kind of black composite or carbon material.

I have noticed this also only on the esw11ltd and esw10jpn.
Thier plastic also felt different,
not like the normal plastic which is on the esw9 & es10 & es700 & es7 & ws99..
When I compared by scratching with my nail and tapping in it,
I noticed it has very solid high stiffness properties which lead me to believe it adress any resonances & damping.

Also of huge note, is the undeniable fact that the voice coil is the most advanced in a driver that size.

My experience is, mostly because of the material they use inside, that break in period although it sounds good, keeps improving over a longer period than other cans..
For instance, my esw11 I had sounded different when I recieved it and if the previous owner was to hear it when I sold it, they probably would have kept it because it became more supple and detailed with use..

Thats why I always like to buy a can used :wink:
I am sure many users esw9ltd will improve with age.

Sometimes when your in the "honeymoon" stage, of having a new headphone,
Its like being "in the zone", and the best thing is to enjoy it while it lasts lol.
But the Earsuit headphones are one headphone where their musicality never wears off,
And why Audio Technica is like lights years ahead of most headphone manufacturers when they make a "limited" model..
Look at my profile you will see the wasteland of headphones I went thru to realize this..
:p

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #163 of 215
Seems like the general consensus is that the ESW10JPN has some special traits over the ESW11LTD which I really like. If anyone would part with their esw10jpn consider me interested.

Mar 14, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #165 of 215
Good choice of word stating "grab"..
Now that prices are holding higher.
I missed the dip period(in price),
but used solved me time with the "break in" period.

Another note about the sound...
It wasnt easy to pinpoint why I was enjoyimg these so much and I realize it is because of the driver ability to vanish or not give as much sonic cues to tell its proximity,
So the increased resolution it has,
Is more easily rendered as an image of the music,
Not as details like some detailed cans I had (beyer portable)..
So the details you notice are more believable in space and you dont think about the driver.
Also I would rate resolution very high at same level of the top best portables I have herd (esw10jpn,esw11,ed8)

Edit:
Another thing to note is that many of the new cans coming out are also high in resolution, like the last two I had and really really like, the onkyo300 and the akg545.
but they dont approach the finesse and realism level of the esw9ltd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back